Chanting the Divine Office
  • Hi all, for the past few years I have been directing music at some TLM churches, and feel that I have a good grasp of the chant technique and norms for Masses as per the Liber Usualis, but I have found the section on the Liber explaining the chant formulae for the divine office to be extremely convoluted - is there a resource that explains the proper way to chant the office, perhaps even giving performative examples? I'm looking both for the specific tones and formulae to use for the specific chants, and also an overview of the entire form of the various hours (what follows what, what is chanted/recited, etc). I understand that there will be a lot of variation through all the different hours, days of the week and seasons, but am looking for a clear primer on, so to speak, the unities from which the variations stem.
    thanks for any help!
  • Phinneas Publick,

I encourage you to visit https://asbloomf.github.io/gabc-chants/ so you can see all the psalm tones written out, the verses pointed. Then review the section of the Liber on the Office. It's not that hard.

Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn