[HELP] 2nd Alleluia for Feast of S. Mark Evangelist (Novus Ordo)
  • Hi, brothers in Christ. Since the feast of Saint Mark always falls on Paschaltide, the Gradual chant should be replaced with Alleluia, then a second Alleluia is sung. However, Ordo Cantus Missae shows only one Alleluia for S. Mark (Loquebantur), and the Common for Apostles during Paschaltide (although I assume he was not an apostle) lists no Alleluias. What is going on here?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Intro to OCM
    Rites to be observed
    5. ...
    In Paschaltide, the Gradual Responsory being omitted, Alleluia is sung, as described
    below.

So just the Alleluia, not an Alleluia Psalm plus an Alleluia as in the Missal/Lectionary.

For the full text of the Praenotanda in English see https://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/ordo-cantus-missae.pdf
  • The more pertinent instruction for this feast this year is at 9:

Whenever there is only one reading before the gospel, it is followed by either the gradual responsory or the Alleluia with its verse. During the Easter season one or the other Alleluia is sung.

So since there is only one prescribed Alleluia, just sing that one alone.
  • GerardH
    Whenever there is only one reading before the gospel, it is followed by either the gradual responsory or the Alleluia with its verse. During the Easter season one or the other Alleluia is sung.

Did this rubric also exist in the Tridentine?
  • GerardH,

The rubric you cite doesn't make any sense in the older rite.

For most of the year, there is an epistle, gradual (or alleluia), tract (or alleluia) and Gospel. There are specific circumstances in which there is a plethora of tracts, but there isn't an option to sing
    either the gradual responsory or the Alleluia with its verse. During the Easter season one or the other Alleluia is sung.
  • GerardH
    Thanks Chris, to clarify what you just said, you are saying that at ferias in the Tridentine there are always two chants between the readings (not counting sequences)? Naturally there are only two readings except on Ember Days and the Easter Vigil.
  • GerardH,

The general rule is that there are two chants between the Epistle and the Gospel. Sometimes the two are a Gradual and an Alleluia. At other times they are a Gradual and a Tract, and in Paschaltide they are two Alleluias.

The exception to the general rule applies to days when there are multiple Tracts, and the few days when there are sequences, but in this second case, there are still two chants and they still follow the pattern I described, and the Sequence is additional to (not replacement for) them. There is, I think an occasion or two (someone else will know the exact number) when there isn't a second chant at all.

Is that clearer?
  • a_f_hawkins
    In the NO the 1975 Graduale Simplex provides the clearest guide to Bugnini's intention (GS was his personal pet project).

GS(1975) #20. ...
    Whenever there is only a single reading before the Gospel, a single chant may be chosen at will from those appropriate to the reading.
    My emphasis
  • Hawkins,

Do you read Bugnini as intending to say,

1) may (in a pinch), but (really) shouldn't be, chosen
    2) may (so Pope Paul VI will sign this), but needn't (nudge, nudge, wink wink) be chosen
    3) may be sung, but needn't be appropriate
    4) may be appropriate, but needn't be sung
    5) something else
  • a_f_hawkins
    5! Something should be sung, taken from those listed and which are appropriate.
    If you want a longer discussion we should start another thread.
  • I'm in no need of further discussion on the topic just now.
    Rabbit hole closed.
  • IanL
    The OCM allows for the use of the ad libitum chants from the 1908 GR/LU. OCM p. 159 mentions Missa Protexisti me from the Common of Martyrs during Paschaltide, which prescribes AL. Confitebuntur and AL. Posuisti. So one could use those.