(Late) Responsorial Psalm for Epiphany Composition PDF
  • Hello, all! Let me know if you ever put this into use.

God bless,
    Jacob
  • I quite like this idea of turning the psalm into a pseudo chant. Very neat, and the character is very fitting for the text. (I do have one concern with this particular one; namely, that the range is quite wide.)
    Thanked by 1JacobFlaherty
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I need a good warmup before any G-flats (unless I just sing the thing a 15th down ;-)), but I suppose my eight o'clock crowd would easily handle the respond a minor third lower.

Jacob, do you plan to set the Lenten Psalms?
    Thanked by 1JacobFlaherty
  • I do have one concern with this particular one; namely, that the range is quite wide.
    ServiamScores, Hello and I know. :) I was writing for a group of mine that could do this well, but it obviously is not something that is workable for all. I do find that my better, more-inspired work comes from what I think works for people I know rather than what is theoretical for the general "all". Hopefully people feel worthy and able to modify as needed. I do appreciate your thoughts and wish you the best this new year.
    God bless you!
  • I need a good warmup before any G-flats (unless I just sing the thing a 15th down ;-)), but I suppose my eight o'clock crowd would easily handle the respond a minor third lower.

Jacob, do you plan to set the Lenten Psalms?

Thank you for your thoughts, Richard! Yes, I do plan on doing this with Lent. I have been more interested in writing recently and I feel like God is giving me a musical voice with which to say it. Peace to you!

In Christ,
    Jacob
  • Jacob—more power to you; if you’ve got it, flaunt it, as they say! And I totally agree on writing for the voices you have, with the caveat that it could hamper your efforts elsewhere.

Nevertheless, as I said above (and I really do mean it!) I think this was very tastefully done and a very fitting “enfleshment” of the text. I may try my hand at something similar in the future.
  • Just a bump if any of you have to do Responsorial Psalms but want to do them with a little more chant-based verses that don't necessarily have to be the same every verse...
  • We also added a little drone, alternating between e-flat and d-flat when appropriate.

God bless!
    Thanked by 1Joseph Michael