Jesus, Ich Liebe Dich - Composition in Honor of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI and his Last Words
  • Hello, friends! This piece was written after hearing a wonderful homily at the 5:00 PM Saturday, Dec. 31st Mass here in St. Louis Park, Minnesota by Fr. Timothy Sandquist. Here was the prolific and profound theologian in Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI who, in his last words, expressed such childlike simplicity in his last words of faithful love. I was touched by this and, knowing the constraints of needing to teach this to my choir in ten minutes on Sunday morning, set off to try to capture some of that childlike simplicity. Here was my effort. Feel free to use in the coming days if helpful. Kindly let me know if you do - I'd love to hear how it goes.

Christ's peace to you,
    Jacob

P.S. Here is a rather simple recording (not the greatest mic's or mic placement) but it captures the dynamics and tempi, etc...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKjNMGVwZ4w
  • The last PDF had two errors in the organ part; they are now fixed...
  • FrMcQ
    We used your piece as a Communion meditation at our Wilmington diocesan memorial Mass. It was well received. Thanks for sharing. It is a beautiful tribute to our late Holy Father.

“Jesus, Ich Liebe Dich” begins at 1:09:39
    https://youtu.be/YhsuGaF8RM4
  • Key of F# major --- impressive! ;)
    BMP
    Thanked by 1JacobFlaherty
  • Brian, thanks! I always liked how F# Major sounds. I've found that G Major is brighter and harder to keep in tune for reasons I don't fully understand but have come to affirm through experience. I find that I also like to write in D-flat Major as opposed to D. Just a preference, I guess.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen RedPop4
  • We used your piece as a Communion meditation at our Wilmington diocesan memorial Mass. It was well received. Thanks for sharing. It is a beautiful tribute to our late Holy Father.
    Thank you, FrMcQ! I'm very happy it worked for you all. It was enjoyable to hear someone from across the country singing something I wrote. Many hymns, motets, and Mass settings later - it was the first time! To God be the glory...