St. Meinrad Psalm tones
  • Does anyone have different sets of chords for the modes in the St. Meinrad Psalm tones? I have a page like this for Mode VI and use it often. There are 5 sets of chords and it is from a book by Fr. Samuel Weber and Fr. Columba Kelly. Does anybody have these pages maybe? Thanks, JPO
  • I’m dropping my name on the “I’m interested” list too! Lol.
  • I can send a pdf of the Mode VI sheet which I copied from a picture of a page in the book. The book can be found in only 5 libraries in the US. I just wish I had the book for the other pages.
  • CGM
    The tones are harmonized
    — here
    — here
    — and throughout this document (particularly pp.14-15), in versions for men's choir.
  • I have already seen and used those accompaniments. This is from a book from the ‘90s that was published by Paraclete Press in Orleans, Mass. The page I have is 5 different accompaniments for a 4 line stanza in their Mode VI. It is page 101 of this book and is apparently the medium key accompaniment in the book.
  • I have found a listing for the book on WorldCat being in 5 libraries. I am posting the link here: https://www.worldcat.org/title/51967453?oclcNum=51967453
    I wonder if contacting St. Meinrad’s would yield any results since it is in their library.
  • I would contact Fr. Weber directly. From all accounts, he’s amenable to help in these kinds of inquiries. There’s an email on this page.
    Thanked by 1John_F_Church
  • nun_34nun_34
    A variety of accompaniments to the Meinrad psalm tones can be found in "Lectionary psalms for Advent & Christmas" by Fr. Columba Kelly, published by GIA (item G-5256). In this booklet, he has written out the verses in full, with different harmonizations for each. Since it "may not be photocopied" I went through and abstracted the harmonizations from the verse texts for Mode 5. While all 8 modes are represented in the book, you obviously don't get the full 6-line tone except when there is a verse with 6 lines. Still it would get you pretty close to what you're looking for.
    Thanked by 1John_F_Church