RIP John Dunn
  • Liam
    A post from Brother Paul Murray, Cong. Orat., at the St Paul's (Cambridge) Choir School Facebook page:

John G. Dunn, a member of the St. Paul’s community since 1960, and a member of the faculty of St. Paul’s Choir School since its founding in 1963, died peacefully at his home in Watertown on Saturday, December 17, at the age of 79. A graduate of Harvard College and Boston University, John Dunn wore many hats at the Choir School, teaching math, music, piano, recorder, and organ. In 1974, John became Principal of the Choir School and in 1986, upon the retirement of Dr. Theodore Marier, John became the Choir School’s second Music Director, a position he held concurrent with his duties as Principal. In 1998, his position was renamed “Headmaster-Music Director”. He retired from St. Paul’s after fifty years of dedicated service in 2010. In retirement, John served on the Executive Committee of the Boston Chapter of the American Guild of Organists and substituted as organist in churches throughout the Boston area. John and I worked together closely over the past few years, revising Theodore Marier’s signature psalmody to conform to the new liturgical texts that have been implemented since the psalms were published in Dr. Marier’s hymnal, Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles (1983). The hymnal was used at St. Paul’s for nearly thirty years. John contributed to the hymnal as a member of the editorial team, but his most significant contribution was some thirty-three hymn texts that were included in the hymnal. These texts have found their way into various hymnals throughout the English-speaking world.

During John’s years as Music Director, the Choir School produced several recordings, collaborated with the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood, the Boston Pops at Symphony Hall, and sang at countless concerts, weddings, and funerals throughout the Archdiocese of Boston, including the nationally televised funerals of the late Speaker of the House, Tip O’Neill and Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, matriarch of the Kennedy Family. Self-described as working ‘full-time, overtime, and all-the-time,” one wondered if John ever slept or if he lived out of his office at the Choir School. John was a great mentor and encouraged me as I pursued a career in church music and now as I pursue a vocation to the priesthood. When I saw him last month, he was making sure that I was still playing the organ on occasion. While there were times when he could be tough with the choirboys, he loved us all very much and would enjoy hearing from alumni young and old as he continued to mentor many of us. The Choir School would not exist today without John Dunn’s vision, dedication, and talent. May he rest in peace and may God console those who mourn.

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the gentle night to you.
    Moon and stars pour their healing light on you.
    Deep peace of Christ, the light of the world to you.
    Deep peace of Christ to you.

Brother Paul Murray, Cong. Orat.
    Choir School, Class of 1996
  • davido
    We are all heavily indebted to Mr Dunn for helping to keep alive the traditions through some dark musical years. May he rest in peace
  • Visitation will be held on Thursday, December 29th 2022 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM at the Solimine Funeral Home - Broadway (426 Broadway, Lynn, MA 01904). A memorial service will be held on Thursday, December 29th 2022 at 11:00 AM at the Solimine Funeral Home (426 Broadway, Lynn, MA 01904). A burial will be held on Thursday, December 29th 2022 at 11:45 AM at the St. Mary's Cemetery (190 Lynnfield St, Lynn, MA 01904).

I was privileged to sing in John's choir for many years. One Sunday during Advent, when we had finished singing the Offertory hymn (it was "On Jordan's bank"/WINCHESTER NEW that day) John was improvising on the hymn tune, as he usually did, until the incensation was finished. He noticed a couple of choir boys misbehaving and, while still improvising, motioned them to come to the organ. There he scolded them, gesturing with his right hand, all the time continuing to improvise on the hymn tune with his left hand and feet. Several of us in the choir were astounded. A couple of weeks later, at the choir Christmas party, we were talking about this, full of amazement, but John didn't remember the incident: it was something that happened all time with the choir boys, and that particular time didn't stand out for him.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Was John not Catholic? Service at the funeral home? May his soul rest in peace.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Yes, John indeed was a Catholic. He was, at one time, a member of the very large St. Mary's Parish of Lynn, Massachusetts (it was my wife's parish, too, in her early years). They had a very large boys' high school here as well as a girls' high school for most of the 20th century--later they combined.

John was a gentleman in every respect--kind and helpful. I was introduced to him by Ted Marier years ago. He assisted me in acquiring some of the pre-Vatican II hymnals that were published by McLaughlin & Reilly (as represented in my avitar) and were sent over to Cambridge after M&R folded.
  • What a beautiful tribute! Having used HPSC since 1985, I know well the hymns of John Dunn. And yes, he kept the legacy alive. God be good to him!