Mass setting for Lent
  • For those celebrating the Ordinary form, what Mass setting do you recommend for Lent/ Holy Week?
    Assume, organ only and English.
    Should the setting be somber or do you use upbeat settings such as in Ordinary time? Thanks!
  • Missa Simplex is what we use. Belmont Mass could be another good one.
  • You should absolutely change ordinaries during penitential seasons (and it should be noted that there are prescriptions for this in the Kyriale). Lent is penitential, and by nature, different to ordinary time. Upbeat settings are not really appropriate, imho, if the church is commanding us to do penance, just as somber settings are a let down for festal days.
  • I recommend Mass XVII, in Latin or even an English adaptation, but only if you do chant at other times of the year. "It's Lent so we can't have nice things, so chant is not a nice thing" is a bad look.
  • If you are looking for nonchant music, Mass of Creation could work. I've seen it played in a more restrained manner. And you don't have to worry about the refrain Gloria since the Gloria isn't sung.
  • I'm not in an OF environment any more, but I would recommend against Haugen's Mass of Creation. If you're looking for something easily learned, in English and readily available, Healy Willan wrote several settings (but the language may have to be brought to the 2011 translation).

I would avoid each and every one of the "Big Three" publishers' Mass settings. The settings aren't all evil, and I'm not suggesting that they are. Rather, if what you're looking for is something actually fresh, look where fresh things can be found.
  • WLP publishes mass of charity and love, which is based on the hymn where charity and love prevail. Anyone ever use it? Thoughts ? Might add I have an episcopal visit during lent not that that is determining factor
  • davido
    As a PIP, I found Mass of charity and love heavy and dark.
    As a musician, I am also offended when mass settings are not original tunes. We’re not so dumb that we can’t learn a new tune.
    As Jeffrey points out, XVII is very nice. Interestingly, it is major mode, which is contrary to the modern “dismal Lent” mentality.

Buchholz’s Mass of St Francis is the best modern setting. Sturdy melody, interesting accomp., easily learned. Compares favorably with traditional hymnody.
  • Remember, too, that accompaniment is best avoided altogether, or at least dramatically reduced, during the penitential seasons.
  • CGM
    Many years ago I composed a brief English-language Lenten Mass Ordinary, which you can take a listen to here. The recording is from 2007, so the Sanctus has the old translation, but the score itself has been updated. You can purchase the sheet music here, if you think it will suit. The setting works with organ+cantor, and also works well with unaccompanied choir (especially if you're in a small, reverberant church, like the one in which this piece was written and recorded).
  • Flipping through my copy of the St. Michael's Hymnal (5th ed.), you might check out Russell Weismann's Mass of All Saints. Chant-style, minor mode, dignified.