Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary
  • Yes, I know I'm early, since Christmas is next week.

EF: During the distribution of the candles there is sung the antiphon Lumen ad revelationem gentium, interspersed with verses of the Nunc Dimittis.

Quaeritur: AFTER the first time through all of what I've just listed, what is a right and proper practice to follow? Does one 1)repeat this sequence until the distribution of the candles has been completed; 2) Vary either the music of the antiphon or the Nunc Dimittis; 3) Use polyphonic settings for the antiphon and the Nunc Dimittis? 4) invite the organist to interrupt the singing with thoughtful, relevant, musical interpolations?; 5) Something else? (please specify)
  • PaxTecum
    Isn’t there a responsory appointed for this? Exsurge Domine ?

• In the past, we've just repeated the sequence, saving the Gloria Patri and antiphon for when all the candles have been distributed.
  • Pax,

In my home parish, we've sung the Responsories for the Procession-after-distribution, not during the distribution of the candles.

Stimson,
    You mean that you've treated this procession like the reposing of the Blessed Sacrament on Maundy Thursday?
  • tomjaw
    We have done option 1) Lumen ad revelationem gentium, interspersed with verses of the Nunc Dimittis. I think at one stage we may have sung another psalm... I like option 3 and option 2, and have considered this for the next time this feast falls on a Sunday and we have plenty of time to fill while the candles are handed out.
  • Yes
  • 1, 2, or 3 are acceptable. We get lots of people for this feast and the distribution of candles takes quite a while. Last year, we did chant only, but after the first time through the canticle, we slowed down to nearly half tempo, for some variety. The rubric of the Gradual merely says that the Antiphona Lumen, similiter repetitur post quemlibet versum, but the layout makes it fairly clear that the Gloria Patri is added only at the end. The Missal is more explicit about the procedure: Quae si non sufficiant, repetantur quousque distributio finiatur; et clauditur cum Gloria Patri. It wasn't part of your question, but we cannot sing the appointed text then move on to another motet or hymn like at the Offertory or Communion. Polyphony may be used in all liturgical ceremonies, so if you have alternate settings of the antiphon or canticle, why not use them? As for organ music, it's allowed under the 1962 rubrics, but it's not the traditional practice. The blessing of candles and procession formerly had a penitential character. Purple vestments were worn. Richard Terry says the organ should not be played at all until the Mass.
  • FSSPmusic,

That's very helpful.

we cannot sing the appointed text then move on to another motet or hymn like at the Offertory or Communion

reinforces my idea that we can't sing the Responsories which are used later.

Polyphony may be used in all liturgical ceremonies, so if you have alternate settings of the antiphon or canticle, why not use them?

Would you think it sensible (and/traditional) to sing the assigned melody first, or begin with the polyphony?

The blessing of candles and procession formerly had a penitential character. Purple vestments were worn

Helpful reminder. White candles don't mean that the blessing of these candles is a celebratory moment in itself.

In the past, we've sung through it 8 - 10 times, or more, at a funereal pace, sometimes varying the voices (and once in a while using Organum), but this doesn't strike me as the right thing to do.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Would you think it sensible (and/traditional) to sing the assigned melody first, or begin with the polyphony?
    Yes ;) If the polyphony uses the cantus firmus, I would prefer to hear the chant first; if not, maybe the other way around.