So much selfless work! The Parish Book of Motets.
  • I sang at St. Mary Mother of God in DC for the Latin Novus Ordo Mass for the Immaculate Conception. I had noticed before that they had bought the St. Isaac Jogues Missal for the pews. I thought of a comment made by someone who used to be very active on this site (and has alas drifted away, so pray for him). It was to the effect that the renewal of liturgy is taking place because of the tireless and selfless work of many people. And then just now I get an email announcement for the Parish Book of Motets. It is indeed amazing how much selfless work people put in to this noble cause.

I was also reminded that many years ago I asked exactly for a list of doable motets. I see that the names of the people who can't pass up a chance to snipe change, but the reality of this list continues. Anyway, the snipers at that point prevented that from being a useful thread. Mere parish choirs shouldn't get above themselves, why would you need to ask, don't you know how much that is. Someone even suggested that I knock on the door at my university of a famous choral music professor, a notably crotchety guy, and ask him, as if you do that to professors. I was talking about practical advice at the parish level.

It took me three tries, three separate threads, and finally an Abbott in England came up with a list of ten easy motets. I guess because a priest weighed in, the snipers quieted down, and I got a list that I have handed to young music directors for years.

Now I don't need to worry. I can just recommend the Parish Book of Motets!

and marvel again at the selfless work of so many.

Blessings to you all!

Kenneth