Other organists at your parish
  • My line of thinking was spurred by the discussion of rights of first refusal and bench fees. I know many times the director of music is contracted to play for all masses each weekend. How does this play out in practice if you have members of the parish who play or are interested in playing? I'm an accountant, but I love playing organ for church as a hobby and am definitely a competent organist. What would you do if someone like me moved to the parish? I'm also thinking about anyone in the parish who is interested in learning to play organ. In your experience, when the director is hired to play for all masses, are there still opportunities for others to play as well?

In a lot of the parishes in my area, many of the accompanists are people from the parish, and then the director just fills in the other masses and leads the choir.
  • It is going to somewhat depend on individual parish dynamics, and certainly the personalities involved, so it is difficult to give a blanket answer.

In my case, I would be more than happy to have a parishioner who was competent fill in when needed, or even take a mass regularly on a rota. I'd certainly be happy for a competent accompanist when we attempt to do larger works which require more conducting.

I do have a student at the parish who took lessons from me, and I've had him sub for me once or twice and he's played postludes on a number of occasions. He's excited and I'm happy to give him a moment to shine.

That said, all of the above is predicated on the understanding that I'm picking the music, and just because I'm not there doesn't mean that we will suddenly be substituting hymns on a whim, as is happening to a friend of mine. He has an accompanist at the parish who predates him and she was stunned when he said that going forward, he was picking the music for all the masses, and that she would be expected to honor his selections. As I understand it, this was quite an affront to her and she was none too keen. Someone like that is more than welcome to hit the road, as far as I'm concerned.

But if the person is on board with the vision of the program, is competent, and is willing to follow where lead, then by all means, I'd be thrilled to get a mass off every other Sunday! This is also predicated on the understanding that my salary isn't going down because I'm playing less.

In my case, I'm salaried, so it wouldn't make a difference. If someone is a "part time" music director and they are paid per diem, then it is likely they won't want to cede ground if their (presumably paltry) income will further diminish.
  • TCJ
    I have difficulty finding subs. Part of it is that I now have three former subs on the "don't call" list because one of them borrowed a book I needed the following day without asking permission, one of them tried stealing a book from me (my cantor stopped him), and one of them re-arranged all my music and tried resetting the organ presets. They are no longer welcome.

As for the rest, if someone hires them, fine. But I need to approve of the person.
  • GambaGamba
    It’s a bit of a sticky wicket. I think it’s best when everyone abides by their contract/job agreement.

My parish hired me because they thought I was the best of all the candidates who wanted the job, and they expect me and no one else to be on the bench for 3 Masses, 48 Sundays a year. Your parish did the same thing. So I feel it’s the right and honorable thing (and my legal obligation) to be there 48 or more Sundays a year.

I am at a cathedral with a very ambitious Mass schedule, and so I have several assistant organists who play the Masses without choir. They are amazing guys and excellent players. We help cover for each other as needed, but again, they have an agreement to play their Masses, and they are faithful to their duty, and I sleep easy knowing they’ve got the Masses I can’t play covered.

If it transpired that an organist appeared in the parish who wanted to play, I would try to ascertain their abilities and if they’re up to snuff, I’d add them to the sub list. If money was no object and they were really dang good, maybe I’d look into setting up an artist-in-residence deal and have them periodically play a recital and major preludes and postludes from time to time.

I have put a student on the bench from time to time, once they’re ready to shine and sufficiently prepared to contribute positively and process the experience, but always crediting them in the order of service (Johnny Apple, St. X School ‘25, plays the prelude). For me this is a way to support the next generation of organists and give them developmentally-appropriate experience, not a way to reduce my workload (inevitably. it is more work than playing it myself).

But in no circumstance would I invite someone else to do my work, so that I could do less than what I signed up to do, otherwise I could legally be sacked. OP, if you are not always met with encouragement by the incumbent, I hope this might explain why. I would not walk into your office and ask if I could please use your computer, just because I too can use MS Excel. Just like I’d be up at arms if I got a mid-year pay cut, I’d be equally opposed to any other potential breach of contract. I like having a job, and chose to do this one, and want to keep it.

Finally – weddings, funerals. Stations, Benediction – other “random” services with separate stipends, are often the only thing that lets an organist survive on a bad salary, or keep the house at 68°/19° on a decent salary. Odds are low that anyone would give those up.
  • Our choirmaster at Walsingham has nine organ students. The two or three best ones are given parts to play in several of the non-principal masses. These very bright organ scholars go quite a long way in providing for the future of quite gifted church musicians.
  • Thank you to everyone for your input. Gamba, I'm not sure if you took it this way, but my question wasn't in response to a particular scenario that I'm currently facing. It is more of a hypothetical due to my own curiosity. In a couple years after my fiance finishes school and we get married, we probably will be moving somewhere else. I would love to still be a part of music at our new parish, wherever that may be, and am wondering how many places would handle a musician in my position.

Music scheduling at parishes near me is different than what I hear people talk about here. For example, one of the large parishes in my hometown (fairly traditional when it comes to music) has five weekend masses with all but the early morning on Sunday having music. Of the four that do have music, at least half each Sunday are generally done by parishioners with musical ability and the DoM fills in at the other masses plus leads the choir. I think this is a fairly typical arrangement across my diocese.

Even my role at the Newman Center is fairly small. I'm very part time, normally less than 5 hours per week, and I get paid by the mass that I play. My responsibility is more to involve students who want to do music at mass than it is to provide top quality music at every mass. From what I hear people talk about on the forum, it seems like a lot of you have jobs that fall into the second category of offering professional music for all masses. I'm curious which of the two approaches, the large parish in my hometown or the professional musician, is more common.
  • Sorry if my original post wasn't as clear. I was typing it on my phone, and it probably could have been longer and more specific on what I was asking.
  • I'll just add that, considering that even priests are not supposed to say Mass more than twice per day, excluding particular necessity and dispensation to do so, if you're being asked to play more than 3 masses on a single Sunday (the day itself; I'm not including the anticipated 'vigil' Mass in this) it probably is prudent to have a second musician, if for spiritual reasons than no other.

There is something to be said for Gamba's remark about doing the work we've been contracted to do, but I don't necessarily consider it a shirking of duties to involve a second musician, especially if the Mass schedule is particularly full. If you're only role is "organist" that's one thing; if it is "DoM & organist" there's plenty of other things to fill up your time when you aren't playing for Mass.

Ultimately, Nathan, I'll leave you with the advice my mother always drilled into me as a young man, "it never hurts to ask". Don't presume a right to play, and don't take offense if the incumbent prefers to do the task themselves and merely relegates you to the sub list. Offer your services in simple charity, and go from there. And it's possible that, depending on where you move, you might be able to be on the sub list / rota at multiple parishes, and rotate between them as needed. You don't necessarily have to place all your eggs in one basket, unless you choose to or there is only one church in a small town.
  • A few tales of caution:
    While I too would welcome the opportunity to have someone capable be on the substitute list so I can get a Mass off for a family event or just a needed break; sometimes that substitute can put your position in jeopardy....

Years ago I was vacationing and went to daily Mass. They had music at all the daily Masses at this Parish; one morning the regular musician did not show up. Knowing it was simple hymnody and a simple Mass everyone knew by heart decades ago.... I offered my services. Fr. Pastor soon realized I was much more capable than their regular musician and to this day calls every year to ask which week I will be on vacation to play for daily Mass again....

Several years ago a neighboring Parish was between Music directors so they would call me to fill in for the funerals when I was able. After one funeral, the Pastor walked over to the organ to tell me they had hired someone (finally) and he was going to observe to see how "funerals worked" at the Parish. I thought my time as funeral substitute was complete. Then to my surprise, I began to get phone calls to play funerals again the following week....