A New Chapter
  • SalieriSalieri
    Well, I've done it. I sent in my resignation today, effective January 8, 2023. I don't know what the next chapter will be, but I am greatly relieved to be getting out of music ministry (and performance in general). Please keep me in your prayers.

Henry.
  • Carol
    Praying for you, Henry.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • CharlesW
    Best of luck to you and prayers for you, as well. I retired, don't miss the politics, backstabbing, plotting and scheming for influence and other traits for which Christians are known and loved. I am a happy Byzantine not involved in Roman Rite politics and polemics. I am now able to respond to any issues that are sent my way by replying with the greatest charity, "It's not my problem."
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You're in my prayers, Henry.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Does this mean we’ll be seeing less of you on the forum? Or you’ll be leaving completely? I sure hope not. I do appreciate your rather erudite takes on matters musical.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thank you for your kind words, Stimson. I hope to still participate in the forum. And I hope to be able to put my creative energies to use in composition and arranging rather than performance. I am just fed up with all of the things that CharlesW mentions, and think that my faith (such as it is by now) will stay stronger as just another pew-dweller than as a parish musician.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Praying for you on your new journey
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • and think that my faith (such as it is by now) will stay stronger as just another pew-dweller than as a parish musician.
    I know that feeling well. Someone asked me for advice just recently on whether or not to enter music ministry, and a big part of my reply was about the weird effects it can have on your faith life.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • francis
    If you venture to be a DoM in the NO world, prepare yourself for an (faith) ordeal. (spinnoff interpretation of OT scripture)
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I wish you nothing but the best, @Salieri . If you ever need to talk, feel free to reach out. I expect I won’t be in parish ministry a year from now either, since I’ll finish my degree in my alternative field in the meantime. You’re in my prayers.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • dad29
    Henry, it's VERY nice outside! Fear not.

Charles' take is spot-on.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Salieri -

I have been semi-retired for some years now. I really miss teaching choirs to do things for the glory of God that they thought they couldn't do. Also the joys of choir rehearsals and the joy of the resulting offer of it all to our heavenly Father - and a kind word from a pastor who appreciated the struggling for beauty that is our gift. (And, someone once said that every organist lives to play 'O Come, All Ye Faithful' at mid-night mass on Christmas eve. Indeed, there are many memories which can be a nard to our bruised souls.

I shan't speak on the unpleasantries along the way because they really don't deserve being dragged out of the mire and given attention they don't deserve; besides they will only add to our depressions, sorrows, and disappointments

I am happy for you that you have stepped down from the battle to pursue a new road that God has surely prepared for you. Remember the good (for there was surely much good in your service). Please keep us posted on your new direction.

And for all those troublesome souls who are always wanting one to 'go with the flow' - my favoured retort has been 'the only fish that go with the flow are dead!'. (This may or may not be absolutely true in all cases - but it sounds awfully good!)
  • I hope that you'll find some way to contribute, even after you're free of a professional obligation. I have a personal view that if I'm capable of contributing high-level music and do not, it's a sin of omission, since there are so few of us. I stress that this is my take, and not binding on the conscience of anyone else.
  • Jeffrey, this is where I struggle with my conscience, too, and it's one of the reasons I have not defected from ministry at present.

I've been sorely tempted to do so on multiple occasions, but any time we travel, I'm screaming on the inside because more often than not, I could sight read and improvise and still sound better than the musicians at the churches we visit. And then I'm reminded why I need to be doing what I'm doing, because if I didn't, it's not entirely unlikely that my parish would be left in a similar state of affairs. To be clear, I'm not irreplaceable, (no one is) but it's relatively slim pickins these days.
  • Note to anyone here travelling through Ohio (esp. Serviam): Choir warmup at St. Sebastian Akron is at noon, downstairs under the sanctuary. Mass is at 1. We have extra choir binders and Liber Breviors. Easy access off I 76 and I77 and not far from the Turnpike, just sayin'.
  • SalieriSalieri
    So, I had a [meeting] yesterday with The Powers That Be to discuss a few things. I will be staying on past January 8th, primarily, for me, because I still need money, and they pay it, however little it might be, but also because musicians are, as Serviam says, slim pickings here, and as much as I don't want to admit it, I don't want to leave people, especially the choir, most of whom I like, completely in the lurch. (I also have the conscience problem that Jeffrey and Serviam speak of, but until things drastically change---like the normative form of the Roman Rite in the US becomes the pre-55 Missale Romanum, partially translated (e.g. the Lessons) into Cranmerian English---the liturgy is simply a supermassive black hole that sucks away anything beautiful, never to be seen again; so it's really a question of not wanting to waste my talents by throwing pearls before swine... and some are more porcine than others.)

I am working on getting my ducks in a row, and will, hopefully, be pursuing a degree in psychology, beginning in the autumn, God willing.
  • Salieri,

You made me chuckle twice in one post.
    The first time it was due to a typographical mistake.
    When you're done with your yesterday, may I borrow it?

The second time is the result of your intent to pursue a psychology degree because you're worn out from the politics and game playing of parish music. You must be seeking a systematic answer to what you've just been living through? A field free of power-plays and damageable egos? Hmmm...
  • SalieriSalieri
    Haha. The word that went missing was "meeting": I'm sure that I typed it, but it probably got sucked into the black hole, along with the liturgy.

To be honest, psychology is something that's been in the back of my mind for many years. If music hadn't been at the front of my mind before, it's probably the field that I would have gone into in the first place, and my interest in it has been increasing over the past few years. (I could say especially after having dealings with various clergy, but I won't.)
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • One of these days, Jeffrey (probably over the summer), I will finally take you up on that offer!
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick