Help needed for recording songs
  • Good day all,
    My name is Br. Reece Heuvel SDB, a Salesian of Don Bosco from Cape Town, South Africa, but currently in Lusaka, Zambia.
    If anyone is able to assist in recording some hymns that will be played during our local masses here, that would be lovely. We don't have many musicians who can actually read sheet music so we make use of these instrumental hymns to help teach the hymns and so on.
    If you would like to assist in any way, my whatsapp is +27 813959705. Alternatively, my email is heuvelreece@gmail.com. Thank you all
  • francis
    Silver... using recordings is a great way to teach and familiarize people with music. However, recordings used during Mass are explicitly not allowed.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Perhaps some of the skilled musicians here may like to travel (at their own expense) to Zambia to help Brother by playing live music, instead of recordings.
  • Hi Francis. That is normally up to the norms and practices the local Bishops Conferences set up. In certain places it is explicitly forbidden. Here, in Zambia it is allowed, but only for masses with Children.
  • We just really need someone to assist us to record, maybe on their phones or other devices, 3 - 4 songs on the piano and then to send that through. Majority of the time we use it for our practices to teach and familiarize the kids with the music.
  • francis
    And the rubric of using recorded music for masses with children is a ruse That was promulgated in one of the church music documents in the 80s or 90s. God loves a cappella singing more than everything else when it comes to the simplicity of worship. Embrace it and make it as beautiful as possible and God will be much pleased.

I tell my studentsThat “each of you is a perfect instrument of God... Each unique,Born with a wind chest and pipe, and the mind and the heart Through which you can express eternal love that no musical instrument ever will or hope to accomplish, Made for the praise and glory of God. Do not fail to fulfill your destiny. There is nothing more noble or beautiful than you.”
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Carol
    Did you have some particular hymns in mind? Do you have any instruments at all there?
  • Hi Carol. Yes. Mass Parts of St. Ambrose by Tom Bonezzi. With regard to instruments, we have a couple keyboards and drums.
  • Carol
    I am not in a position to help you, since I am really just an amateur singer and not a keyboard player, but I thought the answers to these questions might move the discussion along. Also, I am not familiar with this Mass setting. Does the keyboard have a play back function where the tune could be played in and saved just for practicing? Most keyboards are able to do this.
  • It would seem there are a number of recordings of this mass setting already available on YouTube, including on the composer’s own channel. I highly suspect that if you messaged Mr. Bonezzi he could furnish you with a keyboard track pretty easily. He probably already has one ready to go, and I have little doubt he’d be thrilled to learn his music was being sung half way around the globe.
    Thanked by 1Carol