Reporting from Chicago!
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
  • Pes
    Good stuff, Daniel and Jeff! (he says, chafing at being chained to his desk)
  • Wish I could be there! Also chained to the desk. Loved seeing Scott's class with the two-handed arsis-thesis.
  • VickiW
    Oooooh I see our schola director close to the end of the video! I hope I can go next year.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Thank you for posting. All the recordings have allowed us to live vicariously there and the video confirms the sublime beauty going on.

Hopefully, next year, whether the church has the money or not.
  • David DeavyDavid Deavy
    Beautiful video, but hopefully the next one has more Music and less talking!

ddeavy
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I just got back --- drove all the way from Chicago to Corpus Christi

I am asking myself: WHAT JUST HAPPENED ??

The week was such a magnificent thrill on so many levels
  • Kathy
    I'm listening to sound files and marvelling at all the things I missed, or only half-heard. What a remarkable week.
  • Donnaswan
    Dear Jeffrey, would you entertain a separate discussion where we might make suggestions for a better Colloquium next year? Not that this one was not great. I enjoyed it very much. Just a few little minor suggestions.
    Donna
    Well, we did that last year but I do think the best approach is private correspondence with AVOZ at programs@musicasacra.com
  • Kathy
    What about general comments about, say, onion rings?
  • JDE
    Right! Onion rings . . . or, say, cheesy scalloped potatoes? Those were da bomb. They are also the reason I failed to lose any weight in Chicago despite my vow to the contrary. Darn you, potatoes!

I'm sure no one will be such a spoilsport as to point out that said potatoes did not leap into my mouth and chew themselves up of their own accord.
    We are also working on an evaluation form
  • Kathy
    How about the ham with the nice clove glaze?
  • G
    Oh, Yurodivi, how did I miss getting to meet you?
    Or DID I meet you and just didn't know it?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • JDE
    G, maybe you *did* meet me! I was usually seen wearing either a blue blazer or a grey pinstripe suit. I sang in Maestro Brouwers' polyphony group and Maestro Turkington's chant ensemble.

I was also often seen going back for seconds or even thirds in the the cafeteria, alas!
  • G
    I sang the Requiem under Wilko too.... hmm, bass or tenor?
    I was the loud-mouthed soprano who was too lazy to stand up every time he asked us to sit next to those singing other voice parts.

• You two were so in the vicinity of each other, I'm stunned you didn't make the connection. Geri, you've serious pipes. And J, you da man!
  • JDE
    G, tenor -- I stood next to Charles in CenCA a lot of the time, on the back row. I'm large, but not as large as I used to be, Deo gratias.

I would be smaller yet if it weren't for those dang potatoes!
  • J, you? Large?
    I occupy two zipcodes!
    But I'm working on it.
  • mjballoumjballou
    If I hear one more thing about the scalloped potatoes I didn't eat, I'll scream. Or maybe I'll make sure I'm back next year!
  • Flambeaux
    G, I know you met Yurodivi as the three of us talked during the last night of wine-sodden celebration (the night we got kicked out of the public areas and exiled to the 2nd floor common room). :D
  • JDE
    Charles -- I used to weigh 335. Now I'm ~240, but still picture myself as economy-sized . . . i hear it takes a long time for that to go away.
  • G
    Well done, Yurodivi!

Now I'm very confused, I wonder if the gentleman I thought was Chonak was Yurodivi?
    I have the mind of a gerbil...

• JDE
    Chonak has long hair and a beard. I am clean-shaven. Could be -- if you're on Facebook, take a look at some of the pictures others have posted of the Colloquium. I'm in a few of them.
    Why is no one talking about that fantastic green juice from the juice machine? It was so wonderful. I miss it so much.
  • miacoyne
    Yes, that green juice. I had it on the first evening. But I won't tell my children I had green juice with my supper. (something they will never forget, and I have to pay for it. )
  • The unexpected, non-musical treat for me (scalloped potatoes aside) was meeting Jeff and the Corpus Christi Watershed crew. They were fun, and it seemed as if grace oozed out of them.

Jeffrey, if I got my hands on a comment form, I'd have to remark about my disappointment in not seeing any seer-sucker. Honestly, most everything aside from my own wrong notes was just about perfect. Considering all that goes into this, and that there is NOTHING like it anywhere, I'm just plain grateful.

Yurodivi,
    At the risk of making Mary Jane scream I have to say that the scalloped did me in as well. I could say it was a coping mechanism for not seeing any fireflies... but that'd be stretching it.
  • chonakchonak
    Didn't you see Daniel's pinstripe suit on Sunday, MA?
    Right on Daniel! He was amazing! Made the rest of us look shabby.
  • Kathy
    That was a very fancy suit indeed.

I did not drink green drink nor eat scalloped potatoes. Probably for the best.

I took beginning chironomy for the 3rd time and learned something new.

Jeffrey, there was nothing shabby about your green tie, or those saddle shoes.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Singing Mum, what did you do with the 'gift' I gave you?

:-)