Liturgical Music Consultant?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    After a recent experience I had subbing at a local parish, I've been thinking about going into the liturgical music consulting business.

Much like Sherlock Holmes, one of my favorite literary figures, I would work privately, helping music directors solve little problems and answer questions they themselves hadn't the time or resources to deal with.

Here's an example. At that small suburban parish, the DM and I discussed the details of the Masses for which I would be subbing. While going over the material, much of which was at least 10 years behind what the "mainstream, NPM-type" parishes are doing, I asked about the "Lamb of God", i.e., how many repetitions, and was it just the "Lamb of God" text or were other invocations added. She said that they always added many different invocations, only singing "Lamb of God" as the first repetition. Of course many of these invocations were so poor and full of theological problems that I had to comment on them. She began asking for guidance on this and as I discussed it with her she became dejected and asked how I knew all of this. I explained that I made it my duty to be fully-read up on these matters and to know what the documents called for. She said that she simply didn't have time to do all of that reading.

I found this both sad and tragic. She's been the DM of this parish for probably 20 years, and hasn't changed anything they've done despite the many trends and controversies that we're all aware of. I also was a bit angered by this, because IMHO what we do musically with the liturgy impacts the welfare of the immortal souls of the congregation just as much as how the liturgy is executed or what is preached in the homily, and it seems like she had a rather cavalier attitude about it all.

I would guess that we spent about 45 minutes over the course of that conversation discussing important issues of liturgical music, and since I'm now employed but not enough to live independently of my parents, I thought, "That was dumb. You've spent hours and hours reading and researching this stuff and countless dollars getting your degrees, and here you're giving your knowledge away to people who have taken the importance of that knowledge for granted. You should turn your knowledge and passion into a means of making a living!"

Of course, the first problem that came to mind is finding myself at odds with the local diocesan Office of Worship, which in my area is headed up by a priest with a D.Min. and a long-standing reputation. My thought is to go talk with him directly and express my desire to be available for this sort of thing. He is, after all, the rector of the cathedral parish as well as the head of the worship office, and I can only guess that if people call from parishes with questions, he doesn't always have the time to answer their calls or provide the kind of in-depth analysis they may need or want. He would be the Inspector Lestrade to my Sherlock Holmes.

Has anyone else ever thought of taking on this kind of work?
  • francis
    DA:

A fascinating concept! You would be one of the few espousing the truth about it all I suspect.
  • Without going into details, a diocesan position/title might be appropriate for this. Unpaid by the diocese, but paid by the parish. Would lend some weight at no cost to the diocese.
  • Pes
    However, the diocese might seek to "balance things out" (and avoid controversy) by giving its imprimatur to a thorough-going proponent of Sixties Antiquarianism, or worse.

I'd test the market first. If credibility is an issue, then seek authorities to lend weight.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I would love to see this kind of thing work, but I wonder how the Diocese would go about selecting such a person as their "designated authority." After all, we have many dissenting voices within each parish, and it appears that the same thing happens at the Diocesan level. I doubt that just getting the seal of approval from the Bishop would be sufficient to quell the dissension...
  • I can see a church job description:

Vibrant (great word from another discussion) church seeks musician to bring new life into our music program. We only have one requirement: We prefer a thorough-going proponent of Sixties Antiquarianism, or worse, if worse is possible.

PS: Our Diocese has a liturgical consultant to assist us, but it would cost us money, would require change, would tick off our people, so don't worry, we'll let you keep the bad music we already have, unless the have the valued and rare talent to MAKE IT EVEN WORSE.
  • GavinGavin
    I think there are two options to consider:

1) a diocesan-level job/post (I wouldn't count on that in our area) where, as Noel suggests, you're available for help, and if the worship office has a question on music you can be referred to the person with the query.

2) Doing something like Jeff Tucker. Writing, giving workshops, etc. I think promoting a chant/sacred music workshop would be very valuable in this diocese.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I suppose the best thing is to just KBO, as Winston Churchill would say.

Clearly from our discussion here and on other similar "professional concerns" threads on the board which have experienced high traffic volumes, the professionals (that is, those who take their craft seriously and aren't afraid to put alot of time, money and effort into the study of same) must somehow work the trenches and do our best and model the kind of work Jeffrey is doing.

I agree, Gavin, about promoting a chant/sacred music workshop in the diocese. We would face some resistance from the folks at the archdiocesan level, but we've got a mole in there now who may be able to grease the rails in our favor. And, H.E. Bishop Vigneron is a well-versed amateur (in the true sense of the word) in sacred music. My sense is that there may be some slow but important changes coming to the archdiocese.

(Gavin, if you still have my cell number, please call me sometime today. I'll be up in the AA area later this afternoon and would like to meet if possible).
  • Most dioceses have people like this, either in an official capacity (e.g. diocesan music director/coordinator) or somehow else.

David, I hate to burst your bubble, but I personally seriously doubt that many parishes/dioceses would be interested in having someone who is not J. Michael Joncas, J. Michael Thompson, Ed Foley, or even David Haas come in and, for pay, counsel them on liturgical music.

Consider how many excellent, excellent answers and thoughts are presented on this forum, and yet how few people, really, there are who read what we post here.

Not that you wouldn’t be someone well-equipped to serve in such a capacity, were it to exist someplace.

Galveston-Houston actually did have a diocese-wide music director opening until earlier this year. Who knows? Maybe another diocese will either create such a position or have an opening for it. I do think *dioceses* owe it to themselves to have someone coordinating liturgical music....not just for major diocesan liturgies, but even for ordinary parish stuff.
  • francis
    I am suspect about diocesan music directors. Can come from the same cloth as liturgists, if you know what I mean.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    The former "Diocese" of G-H had that opening years ago. Some one thought I should apply! LOL!!! Fat Chance!!!

I've been inside that office - looked at the books on the shelves for reference. My collection had more depth!

At one time they offered a 2-year (Associate, I guess) degree in "Pastoral Music". I looked at the curriculum and the teachers, and decided they had not one thing to offer me - except for a piece of paper that might guarantee me getting more money at a position within the Diocese. It really just created a group of "Yes" persons.

"Save the Liturgy - Save the World" will only happen on parish (brick) at a time.
  • CharlesW
    " CommentAuthorfrancis CommentTime23 minutes ago
    I am suspect about diocesan music directors. Can come from the same cloth as liturgists, if you know what I mean."

I suspect they are both made from whole cloth. ;-)
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Diocesan directors of music are appointed by the bishop, or are appointed by someone else appointed by the bishop.

With a very liberal bishop, you are likely to have a very liberal diocesan director of music. With a very conservative bishop, the opposite often applies.

It's really like anything else ... there are varying degrees.

My experience has been that most are conservative in matters of music and liturgy and more progressive in matters of theology and personal practice.