Introducing sung responsorial psalmody
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I have my first in a series of questions to pose to you my valued colleagues:

I would like to introduce sung responsorial psalmody to a congregation that has not in its past had a consistent application of the practice. At the Polish language Mass the priest celebrant sings the psalm (because it must be in Polish; he uses the same melody for the refrain and verses each week); at the 12 Noon Mass the previous DM introduced the singing of the psalm, using Anglican chant SATB to sing all the verses without refrain or response; at all other Masses, including weddings and funerals, the psalm is recited with refrain.

The current plan is to continue with choral Masses once a month at 12 Noon, using Anglican SATB chant for the psalm, but with the insertion of a simple unison refrain for the congregation (a custom I've experienced elsewhere), and to then introduce the chanting of the psalm at the other Masses at 12 Noon throughout the month. This will require the development of a cantor program, which the parish has never had as the DM previous to my predecessor did the "bar room entertainer routine" singing into a mic bolted to the organ console, and with the present scheme described above, my predecessor had no reason to develop a cantor program. (As an aside, the good news with this is I can prevent the "Mr. Carouso" diva mentality from becoming a part of the program).

So, the question is: which psalmody would be best suited to my designs? I'm leaning toward the Chabanel psalms. I've also toyed with the idea of introducing the St. Meinrad psalm tones. As I've not completely examined the Chabanel psalms, I wonder if they're based on a fixed set of psalm tones that are used continuously throughout the cycle, or if each is unique. I would suspect that the former is true, but don't know.

Of course the real benefit of the Chabanel project is the price is right for the financial situation of the parish, and given the introduction of printed congregation parts it would appeal to those who want to have it in their hands, even if they don't read music.

I'm open to any and all considered opinions on this matter. I really want to do this right the first time.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Chabanel.

We sing them in choir and over the past year, psalm tones have re-appeared. They know them all and sing them with great fluidity.

My .02

Kevin
  • You are fortunate in that you have no lamentable customs or ensconced personages to contend with. Singing the psalm to Anglican chant in alternation with a simple respond melody at your choir mass sounds really good. For the others, I don't believe that anything can touch the historical psalm tones. I would use these in preference to anything. You may have to point them yourself each week and compose simple responds, but there is literally nothing else that will contribute as well to the aesthetic of Catholic worship. They and the psalms simply 'belong together'. - (P.S. - I assume one of the first things you did was to unbolt and discard the microphone bolted to the organ console???!)
    My predecessor saw to that, but fortunately he kept the hardware.

I say fortunately because inter alia the DM (previous to my predecessor) also never bothered to form or support any kind of funeral schola, leaving the responsibility of song-leading (ugh!) and chanting of the psalm (when requested) up to the organist. For his own reasons, which I respect, my immediate predecessor removed the mic and simply sang out from the console without the microphone. I have a rather clear but soft voice, and frankly it wouldn't carry into the cavernous space of the nave without the amplification, especially while accompanying at the same time.

I suppose one of the benefits of opting for the original psalm tones is that one can very easily go from single lines of chant into "falsobordone" to spice it up with choirs, thus keeping within the tradition but tapping into the same aesthetic as Anglican chant.
  • GavinGavin
    My advice would be to start off with the seasonal psalm. That will give people a chance to get used to it (although I tend to feel that a "gradual introduction" to the psalm is unnecessary given its ubiquity in Catholic practice!), and then you can move from there to the proper psalm.

On Chabanel, keep in mind there's setting by many composers. I tend to dislike Jeff's settings, but Arlene's are excellent and easy. Brian Page also has some very good ones posted, as do the Fords. I guess the question is what do you want to aim for? Good metrical refrains or a chant-like refrain? If the former, I recommend a seasonal Gelineau-type psalm followed by the Alstott Respond & Acclaim series, and then moving up to the more challenging Chabanel contributions and the Gelineau or Guimont books. If the latter, start with a seasonal setting by one of the Fords, then when they've mastered that move on to a weekly setting according to a psalm tone, or Arlene's contributions.

If you want to move towards the gradual, just do it.
  • GavinGavin
    And given your recently stated amplification problems, I'd say don't be afraid to go for a capella. People pick up on that really well, especially for chanted psalms. It'll be scary to them for the first month or so, but they'll all be singing after that.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I prefer the Gelineau and Guilmont psalm settings, both published by GIA. Many of the Guilmont refrains are very singable, even infectious, and the verse tones tend to be very lovely and haunting.
    Thanks for your sound advice, Gavin (no pun intended).

I'm leaning away from Gelineau because they are intended to be sung to the older translation, and I'd rather stick to the current one. The people will probably follow along on the verse texts in their missalettes, and at this point anything that deviates from what they're seeing in print is likely to raise eyebrows and increase resistance.

I like the Guilmont settings, but I have found that sometimes the verses have angular melodies with wide leaps or a high upper range. Also, I need to find a resource or option that is very cost-effective.
  • GavinGavin
    Good points both. I've talked to my rector about introducing the same at my (Episcopal) church, so this is also interesting to me.
  • The GIRM--quite appropriately--directs that the verses of the psalm are to be sung by a cantor, standing in the ambo "or in some other suitable place."
    In the Roman rite, therefore, assignment of the verses to the choir appears not to be permissible, stricte dictu.

Even though the GIRM speaks of the psalm as a response to the lesson, it follows tradition in directing that it be rendered like a lesson--which, as McKinnon convincingly argues, it originally was. Even the verses of the Gregorian graduals were never sung by the whole choir. They were originally sung by one cantor--later by a few on festal days.

Anglican Chant psalmody seems more appropriate to the office (in which it developed) than to the Mass.

Gavin-- Since you are working in the Episcopal Church, you can use the new edition of GRADUAL PSALMS (Church Publishing, 2008), in which the Prayer Book translation of the psalms is employed, and in which the assignments follow the Episcopal version of the Revised Common Lectionary. The verses of the psalms are set to Gregorian psalm tones, and the refrains are set in the style of the simple antiphons of the office. (Nothing precludes accompaniment of these psalms where it is found necessary.)
    Bruce,

Could you expound on the topic of the Gregorian graduals and their proper execution, or at least point me in the direction of good data? (I'm not familiar with McKinnon's writings, so that may be a good place to start).

ISTM that a fair number of OF parishes doing the NO in Latin and using the Gregorian Missal are rendering the chants incorrectly, based on what you've said above.
  • eft94530eft94530
    What is the Polish psalm tune?
    Would it be a bad thing to learn it and introduce it into the other Masses?

For me, the Guimont (note spelling!) Lectionary Psalms are used at all three Masses, regardless of singers: either of two cantors, or the School choir (unison) every other weekend during the school year, or by the adult Parish choir (verses sung SATB). A few weeks ago six graduating eighth graders at their school Mass sang the verses (soprano line by three girls with music teacher, bass line by three boys with me) while I accompanied.
    I think the Polish tone is one that someone made up. It doesn't sound like it came from an "official" source.
  • There are Polish psalm tones in the hymnals, If you can find setting which maintain some of the characteristic Polish cadences then they will be very welcome. Use the same refrain melody every week but vary the text to the day's proper. Meinrad and Polish tones are very good familiar fromats for your congregatin. And the Gelineau's text (the Grail) is on its way back into the liturgy as the text for the psalms though it is revised. The current texts of for the psalms can be worked into the Gelineu framework.
  • David Andrew wrote:
    ++++++++++
    Bruce,

Could you expound on the topic of the Gregorian graduals and their proper execution, or at least point me in the direction of good data? (I'm not familiar with McKinnon's writings, so that may be a good place to start).

++++++++++
    In the "praenotanda" of the 1974 Graduale we read:

Post primam lectionem dicitur Responsoriam Graduale a cantoribus vel a choro. Versus autem a cantoribus profertur usque ad finem... Quando autem opportunum videtur, licet repetere primam partem Responsorii usque ad versum.

Translation: After the first lesson the Gradual Respond is sung by the cantors or by the choir. The verse, however, is performed by the cantors all the way to the end... When it seems appropriate, it is permissible to repeat the first part of the responsory, up to the verse.

++++++++

The Respond may be sung by the whole choir. The verse is to be sung by the cantors. The number of cantors is not prescribed. Originally the verse was sung by a soloist. Later it was assigned to a number of cantors on feast days.
    The responsorial character of the Gradual becomes evident only when the choir repeats the Respond after the cantors have sung the verse. In the case of today's Gradual, Priusquam te formarem, the text makes no sense unless the Respond is repeated.

++++++++++

In his final work, THE ADVENT PROJECT, James McKinnon, a well-respected chant historian, pointed out that in the fourth century the number of lessons read in the Liturgy of the Word varied widely from place to place, but that, regardless of the number of lessons read, only one psalm was ever included. He deduced, therefore, that the psalm in the Liturgy of the Word was not originally a response to a lesson but a lesson in its own right.

He hypothesized that because of their lyrical character, the psalms came to be sung to more elaborate melodies than the other lessons, and that responses were introduced as a festal adornment. (The tracts, used in Lent, still do not include responses but are sung in directum.)

The graduals of the developed Gregorian repertory bear no stylistic resemblance to lessons. Nevertheless, throughout the middle ages the gradual verses continued to be sung from ambones or lecterns, while the members of the choir sang the responds from their stalls.

The current Roman rubrics do not say where the cantor(s) should stand when the sing the elaborate gradual verses. Tradition, however, support their standing at the ambo.

The responsorial psalms of the novus ordo have regained the character of lessons (with responses), the GIRM indicates a clear preference for having their verses sung from the ambo by a soloist. It permits the soloist to stand "in some other suitable place" but does not mention the possibility of having the verses sung by the whole choir.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    In Anglican and some other traditions, the entire congregation present at a Liturgy is considered the "greater choir". Certainly in this age of insisting that the congregation vocally participate in almost everything, there is a larger dynamic in play. Consider this subject from the angle of "proportion".

If, in an intimate Liturgy, the responses are between a Cantor and the Cantori, then it would follow that:
    1. In a somewhat larger community chapel Liturgy that would become the Cantori and the Schola Cantorum.
    2. In a full parish setting this would become the Schola Cantorum and the Greater Choir - the Congregation.
    IOW, its' all about proportion.
  • IanWIanW
    Does anyone else here feel that the responsorial psalm is a mistake? The more I sing them, the more I feel that the response interrupts the flow of the psalm text and music . I suspect, solely from my experience of Catholic and Anglican Office psalmody, that this was why the form dropped out of our liturgical tradition in the first place, and that its reintroduction is an archeoligism based on a spurious understanding of 'active participation'. Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old man ...
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    IanW, you are right. We are all making the best of a bad situation. The Gradual is what belongs between readings.
  • CharlesW
    IanW, I have to agree. I would much rather sing the antiphon once, sing the verses straight through, then sing the antiphon at the end. Since the psalms and their format are mandated, I am sure I can't change them.
  • IanWIanW
    Charles,

There is a stated preference for responsorial psalms, but I'm not sure the statements limit our interpretation of 'responsorial', which could equally apply to an antiphon sung by cantor then assembly before the psalm, and again by the assembly after it.

I've always admired the Jesuits.
  • Jeffrey Tucker wrote:

"IanW, you are right. We are all making the best of a bad situation. The Gradual is what belongs between readings."

Why?

If the congregational refrains in a responsorial psalm constitute interruptions of the psalms, so do the the introit and communion antiphons. And isn't interruption preferable to excision, in any case. In the Gregorian graduals all but one of the psalm verses is excised.

Responsorial psalmody has helped to make the faithful more familiar with the psalter than they were before. The texts of the refrains, at least, have become emblazoned in their minds. Even the verses have begun to "stick." Last week I attended a Mass where the celebrant asked the people to recite the psalm verses in unison. While I detest "choral speaking," I found myself participating in the recitation because I knew the verses of Psalm 85 by heart.

Many of the faithful never participate in the Liturgy of the Hours. Their only exposure to psalmody is at Mass. The situation is different in monasteries. There the entire psalter is recited at regular intervals. It seems fitting, therefore, that the Gregorian graduals should be sung in place of responsorial psalms in monasteries. I think, however, that in most parish settings responsorial psalms are more appropriate.

Certainly the singing of a responsorial psalm (with the refrain set in the style of the office antiphons) is more satisfying than the perfunctory recitation of a gradual to a psalm tone. Before the introduction of responsorial psalmody the graduals were rarely sung to their proper melodies in parish churches. Sometimes they were sung to psalm tones. Often they were simply monotoned.

I hope that some day the Gregorian introits, offertories, communions, and possibly Alleluias (or vernacular adaptations of the same) will be sung everywhere. I also hope, however, that responsorial psalmody will be retained in most parish churches.
  • GavinGavin
    I'd agree with Bruce, although begrudgingly since I find the gradual melodies to be exquisitely beautiful. I'd love for people to shut up and listen to those, but I think the good of familiarity with the psalter and congregational participation outweigh my aesthetic preferences.

I think this is an area of legitimate agreement to disagree. Both are options, both are venerable and ancient practices. I suspect we could at least all agree that the gradual doesn't deserve the absolute neglect it now has.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I'd agree with Bruce to some extent, but there are problems/differences. The Introits have evolved into only a few "key" verses being involved, interrupted by the Antiphon - but that's only for lengthy Processions. Never mind that such a Procession, being outside the Sanctuary, should be accompanied by a separate "Processional" chant or hymn!

In practice, the Responsorial Psalm verses we have been given are often chopped to pieces, and parts of verses omitted helter-skelter. I would prefer the verses to be complete and contiguous. Sing a section of the Psalm if you like, but don't put it through a textual grinder! (NB they couldn't even keep 8-verse sections of Ps. 118 together!!!) I think that some Responsorial Psalms work better than others, and that some should have an absolute minimum of interruptions. Others, the insertion of the Respond actually enhances the performance. To make them all look about the same is an obvious "cookie cutter" approach to Liturgy.
  • David Collins wrote: "I think that some Responsorial Psalms work better than others, and that some should have an absolute minimum of interruptions. Others, the insertion of the Respond actually enhances the performance. To make them all look about the same is an obvious "cookie cutter" approach to Liturgy."

I agree.

David Collins also wrote: "The Introits have evolved into only a few "key" verses being involved, interrupted by the Antiphon - but that's only for lengthy Processions. Never mind that such a Procession, being outside the Sanctuary, should be accompanied by a separate "Processional" chant or hymn!"

The introit IS the proper liturgical chant. It was introduced to cover the procession of the pope and his ministers from the west end of the basilica--the location of the sacristy--to the altar.

The hymns of the medieval "Processionals" were not used to accompany the entrance of the ministers for Mass. The processions they accompanied were services in their own right. They began at the altar, included stations at various places in the church (the baptistry, shrines, etc.), and ended at the altar. In medieval Salisbury (and probably elsewhere) the clergy, after making a final station before the altar, retired to the sacristy to vest for Mass; and the introit was sung as they entered for Mass. (At Salisbury the Asperges followed Terce and preceded the procession.) These medieval processions were atrophied derivatives of earlier Roman processions held on penitential days, in which the clergy and people assembled at one church for a "Collecta" (Entrance psalm and collect), and then set out (often barefoot) for a penitential procession to another church, during which they sang litanies, stopping for prayers and devotions at other churches along the way. When they arrived at the church where the Mass was to be celebrated, the people went to their places. The pope and his ministers assembled in the sacristly. At a signal the schola began the introit, which accompanied the procession of the pope and his ministers from the sacristy to the altar.

In the Tridentine rite the Asperges was placed immediately before the Mass, and on Sundays in many places the introit was reduced to covering vestment changing, Prayers at the Foot of the Altar, and censing. Still, the old Graduale directed that normally the introit should be sung as a processional chant.

Thus there is no historical justification for singing anything besides the introit during the entrance of the ministers for Mass.

Before Vatican II some "advanced" churches in France took to conducting the Asperges from an altar in the baptistry to emphasize the relationship between the Asperges and Baptism and also to return the introit to its proper function as a processional chant.
    Thanked by 1leon.griesbach