OF offertory for October 7th
  • Hey Guys,

I'll be cantoring and playing for school Mass in the OF next Friday. In the Ordo Cantus Missae, if I understand it correctly, the introit is Vultum Tuum, offertory is Ave Maria, and communion is either Florete Flores or Ecce Virgo. The OCM lists "Ave Maria I" as the offertory. Is this the Advent IV Ave, or the Immaculate Conception one? Thanks in advance for any relevant information.
  • DL
    You can use Gaudeamus for the introit instead if you like, as the rubrics of the Graduale always allow for it to be sung (In sollemnitatibus et festis, introitus Gaudeamus semper cantari potest), plus it is the introit for this feast in the older books. The offertory is Ave Maria as in Advent IV, “Ave… ventris tui” (Immaculate Conception is Ave… mulieribus.” The older offertory is In me gratia, which is a nice meditation on one of the Wisdom-literature texts which used to be more readily associated with Our Lady than they perhaps are today, but which is not as good a sing as Ave Maria.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw trentonjconn
  • The older offertory is In me gratia, which is a nice meditation on one of the Wisdom-literature texts which used to be more readily associated with Our Lady than they perhaps are today
    Indeed! I had never noticed the parallel with John 14:6 until this year. As it turns out, most of those words are an addition to the Latin text, retained also in the New Vulgate, and not present in the Septuagint.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw