Opinions sought about a reputed 'Progressive' -
  • While I know of Edward Foley and something of his reputation, I have not read any of his books. Has anyone here read him? What is the actual bent of his writing? I have been asked to evaluate his book, From Ages to Ages, and will need to read it; but thought your comments, if any, might be useful.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I heard him speak during a "breakout session" at the NPM national convention in Indianapolis back in 2007, just mere days after the Holy Father issued Summorum pontificum. His topic was on the impact of Musicam sacram on current musical practices within the liturgy today.

Not surprisingly, he stressed the fact that MS was written not with the NO in mind, but rather with the 1962 Missal in mind, therefore many of the principles set forth in MS were now obsolete, or needed to be recast in the light of the NO, usually in favor of a more progressivist or "re-inventionist", if I might invent a term, approach. In a rather veiled manner he derided those who were attempting to "reform the reform" by applying the principles of MS to the current practices. At this same session Christopher Tietze presented his "Introit Hymns" together with other optional forms of singing the proper texts to Anglican chant, etc.

Rev. Edward Foley has a very sharp mind and presents himself as a scholar, but I think underneath it all, he's a progressive at heart. After all, he's a Capuchin and a priest, and I've never seen him (in person) in clerical blacks or a Capuchin habit. I've seen photos of him in a collar, but never in person. You're more likely to seem him in a suit and tie. Perhaps I'm making too much of that, but ISTM it shows where his attitudes lay. Just my two cents.

On reflection, it was very interesting to see and hear how there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth by the liberals and progressives who found themselves having to contend with the Motu Proprio. I know it's lacking in charity to take sport in others' suffering, but there you have it.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Reinventionist! What a great term.
  • Heath
    I would echo David Andrew's assessment above. Fr. Foley is quite a scholar, and I have read many of his writings with interest, as he takes a multi-disciplinary approach to liturgical music. I would recommend his book "Ritual Music", even if I would take some reservations in regards to his views on sacred music.

I had 2 classes with him about 5 years ago at "Catholic" Theological Union in Chicago. Great teacher, but I'm quite sure that he would classify himself as a "liberal".

I could say more, but not in a public forum.