When God has a Sense of Humour
  • Since I can no longer attend our Sunday Masses that at least have pipe organ instead of folk guitar, I decided I’d offer up my suffering through the terrible music at the Saturday evening Mass for a particularly pressing intention making my attendance at Sunday Mass not possible. Evidently, God heard my intention and made sure I knew it. First there was the folk guitar, annoying, cheesy and didn’t really fit the priest’s traditional ars celebrandi, but I bore it, but then the static from the mic started, and suddenly I felt like was listening to one of those old folk Mass records on a record player, until quite literally, the loudest *BOOM* and what sounded like broken glass. It sounded like a bomb had exploded behind me, and I automatically went into that duck and cover your head thing waiting for the ceiling to fall down on me or something. The mic that was placed upside down to amplify the guitar fell and took a direct hit.

• tomjaw
    A friend who is head of music at a school, used to take ear plugs for use at Mass.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    I have an earplug keychain box for the demanding occasions.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw ServiamScores
  • I tend to just walk out of masses that get that bad…
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    When it gets bad, nothing like a mass exit.
  • francis
    another alternative... plug, stay, and pray like (h)eaven.
  • Ideally, I’d like to get a small group of people who also know how to sing chant, and one of the studying organists to take over the music situation. We have a new young traditionally-minded pastor who just arrived. He’s also in charge of the Diocesan liturgies, which have greatly improved since he was assigned to that. He gets installed in a couple weeks. The last parishes he was at he did a lot of good work and brought a lot of young families to the parishes. Hoping that will happen here.