Domenico Bartolucci - O sacrum convivium
  • Dear members, Next year it will be 10 years since the death of Monsignor Domenico Bartolucci. With the Antwerp Cathedral Choir, I have sung his O sacrum convivium countless times. Now I would like to sing it next year, as a tribute, with my ensemble. Who dares to arrange this work for TTBB choir? Thank you in advance, Dirk Maes
  • vansensei
    See I'm trying to do that now. I don't know how without messing up the counterpoint.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    What are the ranges of your T1 and B singers? The Renaissance way of doing this would be to put the superius down an octave. That's suboptimum in this case because it gives you an actual (3rd) tenor instead of a baritone part. And it's an actual alto and not an altus, so it doesn't work as a T1 part. Transposing down a step would help but not fully solve both issues, but would require basses with a solid low F.
    Thanked by 2Bri stulte
  • stulte
    Knowing the ranges of the singers would be necessary and also to know how free of a hand should an arranger have to set this for TTBB? Simply transposing this probably won't work from the brief glance I had of the score.
    Thanked by 1VocesCapituli
  • vansensei
    It works, just barely, if you transpose it down a seventh to A-flat major. You have to account for some low notes in the bass you can raise an octave unless you have some good oktavists.
    Thanked by 1stulte
  • Our singers have 'normal' ranges: tenors can't do a high C, basses can't do a low D.
    So, would anyone want to give it a try? Free hand for the arranger, but the soprano line should be recognisable.
    Thanked by 1stulte