Experimentation with practice videos (Chabanel)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

Now that I have quit two of my jobs, I have more time for Chabanel (and all the improvements that need to be made to the site).

We are experimenting with the possibility of doing video practice files.

As always, any comments are welcome (as long as they are respectful, even if they are critical).

Practice video for Corpus Christi, Year B

Practice video for Catholic Weddings

THANK YOU, for all your support!

I personally believe the Gradual better allows people to meditate on the Word of God (as opposed to the Resp. Psalm), but if you have read SING TO THE LORD, it seems like the Resp. Psalm is not going anywhere anytime soon.
  • francis
    Personally, I prefer straight tone singing with any vocals in a cantor or a choir. In this take, her vibrato is so thick it somewhat gets in the way of hearing the notes.
  • I'm impressed with her ability to handle her voice so that while she does have the ability to produce a large, round sound, she can also sing clearly and deliver the text well. She's probably half-way between those who can very clearly deliver chant but can't really sing, and those with big singing voices who as a result, really cannot be understood.
  • kevinfkevinf
    What can one learn from these videos? Certainly the style and the character of doing them. I find that very useful. As to practice for pitch and or text, one might not find these so useful just because text response becomes such an individual thing.

However, I adore these psalm settings and we sing them in choir where I am. We sing in alternatim between men and women or solo and choir. They are the best thing out there if one must use the responsorial psalm (my folks know nothing of the gradual). I sometimes re-harmonize the refrains for my own liking, but that does not take away from their simple and beautiful usefulness.

Congrats Jeff and thanks for giving us this gift.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Having a number of these can be quite useful for reaching new audiences and showing people a recommended approach to singing the Psalms. I'm not sure I'd attempt to do them all, though, since they're probably still not the best tool for individuals who are practicing - audio recordings are more flexible and much easier to produce.

I'd love to have videos of a number of different styles, in different acoustics, etc.

My DoM did some training for all the cantors in our parish, and used a video which had a number of the failings that we've complained about on other threads. I would love to have a training video which is simple, straightforward, and targeted at parish cantors of all types. Perhaps what you have here can be a starting point for something like that.
  • And I'd love to have a video of all the things cantors should not do.