Faure Requiem, Novus Ordo
  • davido
    Who has used the Faure Requiem for the Novus Ordo mass?
    What movements did you use and where did you use them?
    How did you handle the Introit/Kyrie, abbreviated Sanctus, and the Angus/Communion?
    If you used an edited score to accomodate the NO, can you share the score?

Thanks in advance!
  • ServiamScores
    I've never seen it done during mass, although we did do it 'in memoriam' as a concert in a church.
  • CharlesW
    I used the Pie Jesu at funerals whether they liked it or not.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Unfortunately, I think it's another instance of the Church's "treasure of inestimable value" which is only to be "preserved" by The Sixteen: I cannot see how it can be done in the Novus Ordo, without doing harm to Fauré -- the Offertory (provided incense is used) and the Pie Jesu (sung as a motet at communion) might be the only salvageable sections.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Pastoral considerations can override a lot and we've used Op. 40 without scruples several times, with Pie Jesu moved to Communion. Most recently we paused before Kyrie and Lux, silence being I think much preferable to the ghastly vamp a neighboring parish resorts to. No one has missed the Benedictus yet or I suppose we would have spoken it. I haven't made it to the Oakland Cathedral yet to see what they do, though.
  • Caleferink
    Give St. James Cathedral in Seattle a call to find out how they've done it. I know they do a choral Requiem Mass in the Ordinary Form every All Souls Day. I know recently they've done the Fauré, Duruflé, and Mozart Requiems in this context.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • We've used it in the NO many times - I probably will this year as well. There is not really a problem with the Kyrie being included in the Introit, any more than there is a problem with a Gregorian Introit or an opening hymn including the words "Lord Have Mercy" in any language. Simply sing the Kyrie at the appropriate moment once Mass has begun.

Offertory works well as is. Sanctus is problematic - usually best to leave it out. Or, compose a coda with the Benedictus (I haven't done this, but I think it would be possible).

Lamb of God is usually done at communion, followed by Pie Jesu. In Paradisum as Recessional. Libera Me doesn't really fit anywhere, but could be an extended postlude if you want to fit it in.

In other words, it's using the Faure Requiem as the Entrance, Offertory, Communion, and Recessional processional music of the Novus Ordo. Not perfect but it works fine and is actually more closely integrated with the liturgy than a lot of the choral music we sing at Mass.
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • davido
    Thank you, these are some good suggestions!
    Would love to hear more
  • That the Libera me doesn't have a place is telling. Is it Faure's fault, or the reformers' fault?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • SalieriSalieri
    The "Libera me" was removed from the absolutions (or whatever they call it now) and replaced by the "Sancte Dei": evidently the "Libera me" must have been too gloomy with its talk about judgement.

But, there is no absolution or catafalque on All Souls in the N.O., so there is no need for either the Libera or the In paradisum, strictly speaking.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CGM
    I used to work at a parish where we did it every year at a special Novus Ordo Mass on All Souls Day, as a commemoration of all the people who had died in the parish over the past twelve months.

It was celebrated like this:

— Introit (mvt.1) as Introit, but end it at the start of the Kyrie. Celebrant's greeting; spoken Confiteor by all, then
    — Kyrie (mvt.1) as Kyrie
    — after 1st reading, a choral Responsorial Psalm setting of Ps. 23 (wasn't by Fauré)
    — after 2nd reading, the Pie Jesu (mvt.4) as a sequence before the Alleluia
    — an Alleluia from the Graduale Simplex (verse in English — not by Fauré)
    — O Domine Jesu Christe (mvt.2, the Offertoire) as Offertory
    — Sanctus (mvt.3) as Sanctus
    — Agnus Dei (mvt.5) as Agnus Dei, but end it before the start of the Lux aeterna.
    — Lux aeterna (mvt.5) as Communion I, followed by
    — Libera me (mvt.6) as Communion II
    — In paradisum (mvt.7) as Recessional
  • bangerman
    Here is the program from the Shrine in DC last year, where they did some of the selections in mass.

I’ve also attended this at two places with these other approaches:

Parish 1 (OF)
    Introit, Kyrie together as written during entrance procession, then skipped penitential act
    Offertoire and Sanctus movement interspersed as ‘reflections’ in two-part homily
    Pie Jesu at offertory
    Sanctus XVIII and Agnus XVIII at normal places
    Agnus et Lux, Libera at communion
    Hymn after dismissal, then In paradisum

Parish 2 (Ordinariate)
    Introit, Kyrie split and done at normal places
    Offertoire at offertory
    Sanctus movement + Benedictus XVIII + repeat of Osanna section, at normal place
    Agnus et Lux during fraction
    Pie Jesu and Libera at communion
    In paradisum after dismissal

Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • MatthewRoth
    The In Paradisum isn’t done without a procession, so you wouldn’t do it on All Souls even in the TLM. I also recall reading that some directors sing the Benedictus of Mass XVIII instead of doing Pie Jesu as an elevation as written.
  • ServiamScores
    Surely there is nothing "wrong" with singing the Pie even if there isn't a procession, even if that's how it is typically used. The prayer itself is very much worth praying, however short it may be.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW