Finale file problem
  • I've been typesetting from manuscript my setting of Tribulationes cordis mei, and, having gone away from the computer and come back to it, receive an error message: Enigma Error 200.

Any help? How do I recover the file?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Can you save the file in some other way, XML for example. I would do that before anything else.
  • Hawkins,

Tosave the file in some other format, I would have to be able to open, which is precisely what I can't do.
  • If I load it here, maybe I could download it to my computer again, and save as I did so?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Is an auto saved copy in the Backups subfolder of the Finale Files folder?
  • It's in the proper file. I'm not sure if it's in the Backups sub folder, because I've never located this before.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Try Disk Cleanup temporary files.
  • MarkS
    Under the File submenu select 'open' which should bring you to 'Finale files'—look for the 'backups' folder and see if it is in there (should be unless automatic backups is turned off for some reason).
  • I have located both of these suggested solutions, and both appear to be closed as options for me. Disk Cleanup temporary files will allow me to delete (but not, so far as I can tell, recover, the file. Backups may have been turned off, I guess, but I can find where the file ought to be, and it is and isn't at the same time. In Finale Files, I can find the file, but it won't open. (Hence, my initial inquiry.)
  • Strangely, I tried to change the file name ("bogus fake name to fool computer") and it refused to let me do this because (mirabile dictu) "the action can't be completed because this file is open in Finale 2014 for Windows". Chin drops to table top, cutting tongue as it does so. Cue the Asterix A-38 scene from Les Douze Travaux D'Asterix!
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • MatthewRoth
    Out of the classic films, I think that Les Douze Travaux d'Astérix is the funniest, but the story is kind of reminiscent of Scooby and Scrappy stories from H-B, using the main characters as a vehicle for an independent adventure. And that scene is really just perfect.
  • a_f_hawkins
    " I can find where the file ought to be, and it is and isn't at the same time" - Chris can you elucidate.
    Any help here : https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=✓&query=enigma&commit=
  • a_f_hawkins
    What I would do is close Finale, and probably all other apps/programs, and then do a Disk Cleanup on 'temporary files'. Then I would restart the computer. It might lose me unsaved information, but it should return everything to working order. YMMV
  • ServiamScores
    Also, at the risk of sounding harsh, it’s time you update your software. If you really are running 8 year old finale, it’s little wonder bugs are starting to manifest. It’s bound to only get worse, assuming this machine has been connected to the internet and updating.
  • Serviam,

You're not being harsh at all. I really am running 8 yr old Finale, and that anyone would do such a thing is cause for scandal to some. The original was a gift.

This, for what it's worth, is the ONLY file I've ever had problems with, of the type apparently explained by Enigma error 200.

Hawkins,

I've restarted the machine, but not done the Disk Cleanup at the same time. I'll try that.
  • A friend, here locally, tells me that since she failed to open the file, its probably corrupted.