The purpose of multi-lingual liturgies?
  • kevinfkevinf
    Having just returned from a large liturgy in my diocese, I want to ask this esteemed group the purpose behind having readings, intercessions in many languages. My experience was one of profound sadness as these languages were presented either by readings or intercessions. It seemed to tacitly say " We know you are here and by doing this, we are throwing a bone to you to keep you happy". I asked some of those who were present and who speak other and they reacted with "its nice" and that is about it. Inclusivity seems to be the question here, but does it really act in that manner?

I am not trying to be a sad sack, but I would really like to get other opinions.
  • CharlesW
    I think it's political correctness, which I would define as good intentions carried to a laughable extreme. It seems we pander to those who seem to feel entitled to be pandered to. A local priest has the best solution I have heard - do everything in Latin. It's supposed to be the international language of the Church, isn't it?
  • miacoyne
    As a Korean, it really doesn't make me happy because those were done in Korean. But when many different languages are used but the Korean is left out, I will not be too happy. I think Americans are, in general, extremely sensitive to this concept of 'inclusiveness' (different genders and different ethnic groups..) and try too hard to show this in somewhat external ways in our society as well as in liturgy. (and some people are really loud on this for some reason.) I rather make friends with fellow parishioners and tell them about the country where I'm from and the tradition. And when someone really try to listen and appreciate my talking to them(inspite of my accents and and poor English.)( I try to learn English as best as I can as all other immigrants do.), I feel much happier than when I encounter those external expression of inclusiness of the culture I brought up.
    When we set the priority on learning to be obedient to the Church and have Catholic faith, everyone will be respected genuinly from their hearts no matter what ethnic group s/he is from. To me, the horizontal relationship can be more genuine when our vertical relationship is established in our faith. And this should be our goal in celebrating our liturgy.
  • GavinGavin
    I think it's political correctness, which I would define as good intentions carried to a laughable extreme.

Agreed on the diagnosis and definition.

My first job as music director was a Catholic church with a Vietnamese priest who had an indecipherable accent. This was in high school, when I knew little more than that I didn't really like playing music on the piano. Even then, I thought to myself "Maybe they should have the Mass in Latin. Then no one would be able to understand what he's saying and we'd all be on equal ground."
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I used to work for a very provincial, rural Catholic parish that prided itself on the way the epistle reading was proclaimed on Pentecost (the reading about everyone speaking in their own tongue). I simply can't make this stuff up, but you'll think I did. Ready? They had four different lectors, each reading at the same time, in a different language: Polish, English, Spanish and I think the fourth was German. All we heard was a confused noise.

Talk about PC gone up on two wheels!
  • JamJam
    I've seen a lot of different languages used in Orthodox liturgies. Sometimes, it is two or three languages (such as English, Slavonic, and Yup'ik Eskimo) which naturally flow one to the other; perhaps the Creed is in English, the Pater Noster in Slavonic, the Sanctus in Yup'ik, etc. I've also seen predominantly English liturgies sing "Lord have mercy" in many Orthodox languages during various litanies or, especially during Pascha, say "Christ is Risen! Indeed He is risen!" in as many languages as possible. I even did a reading for Agape Vespers on Pascha in Japanese because they read that Gospel in as many languages as members of their congregations know (and I was the only one around with Japanese ability).

These things point toward the diversity of the church without undermining its unity. There is no Eastern Orthodox liturgical language: since the days of Sts. Cyril and Methodius, liturgy has always been in the vernacular. I mean, when you really think about it, the reason we have Latin liturgies is because some people translated the original Greek/Aramaic liturgies into Latin for the Romans.

However, the Latin Rite church does have a liturgical language, so for a Latin-rite liturgy with many different languages present, Latin would seem to be the most international and multicultural choice; the choice that would most emphasize the unity of the church even in its diversity. If they really want to have bilingual liturgies, though (which is actually laudable, in my opinion, because having a "Spanish" Mass and an "English" Mass etc. fosters division and keeps various ethnic groups separated rather than integrating them) I would hope that the bilingual nature would extend to more of the Mass--propers, ordinaries, parts of the Eucharistic prayer, and so forth. And one's congregation would really have to be a bilingual, bicultural congregation, rather than just having the lingual mix to achieve a token amount of "inclusiveness" without basis in actual necessity.

Then again, when white, suburban Orthodox parishes use Slavonic or Greek responses, they're nodding not to their own "inclusiveness" but to their communion with Slavonic and Greek Orthodox churches. I mean, in Latin liturgies one still uses the "Kyrie eleison," nodding back to the Greek origin of the liturgy.

I guess it's a sticky issue, because the motivations of modern Catholic churches' choices are, unfortunately, now almost always suspect.

I, however, support the idea of multi-lingual liturgy, I think, so long as it is done organically and thoughtfully, rather than just for the novelty of it, or to make themselves look better in the eyes of modern (falsely) "multicultural" man.
  • JamJam
    " I even did a reading for Agape Vespers on Pascha in Japanese because they read that Gospel in as many languages as members of their congregations know (and I was the only one around with Japanese ability)."

One at a time, by the way. Doing it all at the same time sounds like a nightmare.
  • This entire subject has surpassed condescending silliness. If I attended a Vietnamese, Spanish, Czech, or... or.... and they said one of the readings or a prayer in my language I would consider that I had been (as was said above) pandered to. I would be a guest in this parish and I would have come to experience fully its liturgical aesthetic, its spiritual ethos, unmitigated by silly 'inclusive' gestures - instead I would be treated to a liturgy which had been butchered for my sake by some paranoid chic 'liturgist'; and I would not be complemented nor pleased. Holy Mass is holy. It is not a crucible for social experiment. If it is Japanese, then let it be totally Japanese, with kabuki music and a Japanese ethos unapologised for. The same for an English mass, a Latin one, a French one, or any other; each culture should know that others respect its cultrural integrity and wish to experience the same. And let no one PRETEND that he or she doesn't know what is going on at mass regardless of the language & culture by which it is being celebrated.

The cultural aesthetic which attends each mass as an informing handmaid should be consistent throughout that mass. If it is English, then so let it be in the full beauty and ceremonial of the English tongue. If it is Spanish, Tamil, Urdu, Chinese, or Latin, the same should hold to its unmitigated integrity and specific beauty.

Yes, we know that the Oriental churches like to 'mix and match'. To my mind there is not cultural nor aesthetic unity in liturgy that can't make up it's mind what language it will be in, what spiritual ethos one is supposed to experience of worship through it. It is, I have said before, a hodge podge, a pastiche.

We have now many languages for mass. Each one should be celebrated (one at a time) unabashedly with all the panoply, ceremony, gravitas, and solemnity as might attend the highest of the high Benedictines. To do less is to insult God, and to insult people's intelligence in truly appreciating other cultures, and others theirs.
  • CharlesW
    The eastern churches of Slavic origin do have a liturgical language, Old Church Slavonic. The norm in those churches in this country is to have the liturgy in either OCS or English. OCS is more often used with parishes that still have some immigrants, or for nostalgic reasons. Some folks are just attached to it. The local Greek Orthodox Church has a mixture of Greek and English, while the local Orthodox Church in America is all English. My Byzantine Catholic Church is all English, but in the northeast U.S. OCS is still used in some parishes.
  • GavinGavin
    Agreed also with Osborn's general sentiment. By the same token, I would say to Jam that I find it quite frustrating visiting an Orthodox church with pews, which is all I can find here. Watering down one's own traditions won't impress most "foreign" visitors, they know what they're coming for!

David, I actually saw the same thing at an Episcopal church downtown where I used to sing. Imagine it: we sing the psalm, and as we sit down afterward, I hear someone yelling nonsense while the epistle starts! I thought there were wackos in the church! Then one of the tenors was having a good time noticing my obvious discomfort with the practice, and it became more difficult not to laugh.

Absurd comment, but it has to make one think: if the Holy Spirit made the people at Pentecost able to understand foreign tongues, what kind of spirit makes people unable to understand even their own tongue (as I couldn't hear the English reading over the others)?
  • Pes
    Well said, MJO, however uncomfortable your points might make some people feel.

To me, this kind of experimentation sounds like:

- vanity (isn't it great how sensitive we are!)
    - faithlessness (you will feel more welcome in the house of God if *we* show that we know your ethnic/national language)
    - shame (our cultural traditions are so bland and listless)
    - condescension (your cultural traditions are so vivid and colorful!)

And perhaps a mixture of all four.

All this speaking in tongues business would be amusing did it not indicate a kind of desperation for "holy signs," which itself indicates a lack of faith.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Thanks to all for the interesting comments. I appreciate that I am not alone in this notion of "inclusivity". I particularly appreciated the notion of "social experiment", which my humble and small mind sees as another extension of the horizontalist praxis within Holy Mother Church.
  • paul
    It seems to me that in the GIRM there is some reference to "International" liturgies, which I have always wished had been defined. I SUSPECT that they should have translated it "multi-cultural" liturgies. I think it's pretty plain in GIRM that the preferred language is Latin. That helps make sense out of the idea that parishes should ALSO learn ordinaries, etc. in Latin, so that parishioners would be able to participate in the larger "international" masses.

My crazy liturgy story: We had a mass where someone who was obviously more comfortable in another language, was proclaiming in English. There was a phrase about taking your walking stick. Unfortunately she always emphasized the word stick, making it sound like the apostles had access to some magical stick that could walk by itself. MJO wins for hitting it on the head: whatever happens, it should be as beautifully and CORRECTLY done as possible if it's at mass.
  • eft94530eft94530
    The USCCB has produced several items on Diversity.
    I seem to recall one or more BCL Newsletter entries, and one or more pamphlets.
    I will try to locate the info and add it here.
  • eft94530eft94530
    david andrew: "the way the epistle reading was proclaimed on Pentecost"

This seems to go back awhile (circa 1992 Presbyterian == San Francisco Theological Seminary):
    http://www.liturgiesonline.com.au/liturgies/main/index.php?ch_table=link7&year=A&SID=
  • eft94530eft94530
    http://www.usccb.org/mrs/welcome.shtml

There is a lot of info to wade through.

Among all the info I hope they state some principles and recommendations
    from which we can determine whether or not current implementations
    we experience are in compliance.
  • francis
    THEORETICALLY

Multi-Cultural = Latin. That's it, folks... nothing more, nothing less! That would mainly be the Ordinary. Homily is a new innovation, so that would be a mute point. Other musics in latin. Otherwise, when one is in Rome do as the Romans do... When one is in America, do as the Americans do... ENGLISH!

REALISTICALLY

I just composed a bi-lingual Mass for our parish and it does very well. Do I like the idea? Absolutely not! It certainly does cater to the inclusive minded people (which is probably about 1%) It offends the natives (english speaking), and thrills most of the Mexicans.
  • miacoyne
    While naive politicians are promoting this 'multi-culturalism', are they aware of our American children (including second generations of immigrants who want to be accepted as Americans here and want to be able to communicate and succeed in this country) not learning proper English in public school? Who is going to defend American's primary language, English?

While many are focusing on diversity so much than unity in the church, do they realize that they are neglecting or even worse, abandoning our Church's own language and her tradition that have been the main tools and gifts of our faith for centuries?
  • chonakchonak
    How about bilingual: Latin and Spanish?
  • francis
    Actually, I composed a trilingual mass:

Latin, English, Spanish
  • miacoyne
    Maybe it might offend Koreans, or other small ethnic groups or individuals. They might want to find another church who doens't prefer one ethnic group over the other.
  • miacoyne
    There's really something about music. I mean the power of the music.

I remember we used to sing the National anthem first thing in the morning on Mondays when the school starts. I don't think my children rarely have chance to sing American's National Anthem. When you hear it someplaces like in Olympics, you see even tough athletes wipe tears. I don't think the music itself is so emotional, but it brings out the feeling of the people who care about the country. And our patriotism is enhanced and expressed so beautifully through this kind of special music.

Same goes with Gregorian chants. I don't think we can really seperate Gregorian chants and our faith anymore.
  • CPT Tom
    My wife who is Chinese gets highly offended with these "multicultural" masses. For her there is only one culture at Mass that is important and that is Catholic Culture. If there is going to be any language it should be the language of the Church (Latin) or of the Country (English). Also, there is the inherent condescension that somehow she and other immigrants are "foreigners" and won't understand English, her attitude is she's Catholic and that's what's important. She also thinks the use of other languages other than English or Latin are an excuse for progressives to play fast and loose with the Mass.
  • Your wife is a very bright lady. I think the word is 'savvy'.
    There can be little that is as transparent and lacking in substance
    as the liturgically liberal and chic.
  • miacoyne
    This is all brought up by the politicians, and permeated even into our church. This superficial social agenda is not helping anyone, just creates more conflicts and distracts us. They are just stirring up immigrants to gain their favors and give them false hopes. Do they really care about immigrants or their carrer and success?
    If I just wanted to be comfortible with vernacular worship, I would not have converted to Catholicism. If I just wanted to be comfortible with my native language, I would not have come over here and live in this country. I learned a strong "patriotism' in my native country, but I also learned to apply it to my adopted country that I chose to live. Instead of demanding this and that as foreigners, we also want to contribute to this country. I hope those liberal politicians understand this. We are not just whiny, demanding toddlers,(or turning us like them,) to whom they can just give out candies for their own benefits.
    Same thing in the church. We also come to church to worship God like others. please, those liturgical committees, don't bother to plan anything that distract us from that. And musicians, don't feel guilty that you wrote music only for latin and English texts. We can learn and we will sing if you teach us. (I'm sure this requires going 'extra miles' and more patience and charity from both sides. But isn't this what our Lord asks us to do in doing His work and following Him?) This way we will feel more included as members of one country and one church.
  • francis
    Mia and CPT:

Thank you for your candid reflections.

This gives me impetus to find out what our Spanish bretheren truly think. I have developed a great relationship with them since I have been here and I hope they will truly level with me. I will let you know what I discover.
  • miacoyne
    Francis, I'm sure you can help them to find the truths. I would not have said the same thing until I leanred to worship God the way our Church teaches us. I'm thankful that through singing Church's sacred music, Gregorian chants, I discovered God who is much beyond my imagination and understanding and who invites me to share His holiness. I had many good Catholic friends, but no one really shared this before. I hope with your beautiful music and charity, you can lead them to discover the joy of worshipping God in truly sacred liturgy, that is focused on God, not ourselves, and which transcends time and space. (I hope your parish provides Spanish translation of the Mass for those who need it, and maybe invite them to join schola? How about an evening of adoration and parish get together for Spanish food and music ?)
  • The purpose of multi-lingual liturgies: Reminding foreigners that they are still foreigners. And telling them that we do not feel that they are part of our group and that they need to be reminded that this is our heritage and yours is different, so thanks for coming but you are still not part of things.

The quote of the week: Parish has been assigned a great African priest to which a local church lady was heard to say, "We're not even used to havin' Mexicans and they send us this?"

Randy Newman singing Rednecks....think he'd do a version called Catholics? "Keepin' the buh-lee-vers down."
  • francis
    This is a VERY interesting subject and an emerging dynamic that truly needs some solid answers and direction. Thanks again all!
  • But the Catholic liturgy is the most friendly over Protestant liturgies for people who are not conversant in the local language since the structure of Protestant liturgies ranges from structured to totally free-ranging. At Mass, unless the celebrant gets announcement crazy, anyone can tell exactly where we are in the Mass without being able to understand a word.

Understanding is nice, but being there is much more important.
  • francis
    I will post our tri-lingual Corpus Christi worship aid soon so you can see what took six weeks to prepare.