Audio from the 2022 Colloquium
  • chonakchonak
    The banquet on Monday evening began with a greeting from David Hughes and from Fr. Pasley, and the singing of Veni Creator Spiritus:
    https://recordings.musicasacra.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/20220620-01-veni-creator.mp3
  • chonakchonak
    From the Mass for the Nativity of St John the Baptist on Thursday afternoon; the choir directed by Dr Lucas Tappan sings the Agnus Dei from Hassler's MIssa III (fragment):
  • chonakchonak
    After the Solemn High Mass today for the Feast of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, the assembled participants at the Sacred Music Colloquium sang the Te Deum.

The organist is Dr. Horst Buchholz, and the priest is CMAA's chaplain, the Rev. Robert Pasley, KCHS.

https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/uploads/FileUpload/3f/f9437e3a4012786dbd61a64549bc57.mp3
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Slightly related question:
    I left my Tascam DR5 up in the loft after Mass on Sunday, and no chance to get it. So I solved my problem of recording Colloquium by buying a Zoom H1n, which so far has been a delight and sounds like a million bucks even at 44.1/16
    But...
    I can't get it to mount on my Mac desktop. I can set it to "card reader" mode, but it doesn't show up. I suspect it may be because I didn't format the SD card, because the quick start guide didn't tell me to, though the manual (which I couldn't download because of my connectivity issues) insists on it And obviously I can't format that SD card now, though I could format another SD card to test the theory. So how do I get a week's worth of content (24 files) off this thing?

1. Buy a card reader. But if it doesn't recognized files in card reader mode on the Zoom, why would it from a reader?
    2. USB playback into Logic on Mac. The manual says this should work, but are sketchy about how to get to the screen and I haven't succeeded yet.
    3. Audio cable to the Focusrite to Logic. Bound to lose some fidelity that way.

Any other ideas/suggestions? Zoom is v. 1.22, Mac is still on 10.15

My Spanish Mass came off fine, though the rhythm is a bit mushy.
  • chonakchonak
    Jeffrey, would you check with Janet about the recorder you left? Perhaps the parish can send it to you. They were helpful to us in a lot of ways.
  • GambaGamba
    Jeffrey Quick – can you try someone else’s Windows computer? I imagine Zoom may have defaulted to write in a manner only intelligible to Windows machines. If you can pull the files onto their computer, then it’s an easy transfer to yours via cloud or thumb drive etc….
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Chonak: you misunderstand. I left the Tascam at my HOME parish, so I had to enrich Guitar Center in Hagerstown. THAT recorder (and now, the Tascam) is safely with me. But it was new tech to me.

Gamba: good suggestion. I have a Windows laptop (that I never did get connected to the hotel wifi, grr).
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Thanks to fellow composer Mark Nowakowski (expert in all things audio), who had suffered the same problem, I have an answer: it needed a data-quality rather than charging-quality cable.

Here's the premiere of my Misa Romana from the Spanish NO on 6/22. It's... stately, and a bit loose in rhythm (big choir, live room, conductor not universally visible, little rehearsal)...in other words an authentic representation of parochial performance practice.

I've got pretty much everything I was at (13.5 Gb of WAV), and am negotiating with the powers that be about the best way to make it available.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen