Coventry Carol
  • Kathy
    Sacred or secular?
  • The topic is Biblical and sacred, but the means (Oh, Sisters, too, what may we do) are clearly not part of the Propers.
  • tomjaw
    Secular, Carols are by definition not sacred...

The Coventry Carol according to the Oxford book of Carols is from the 15th c. and was first? used at a pageant.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • SalieriSalieri
    And yet, many a carol hath found its way into most hymnals: And, frankly, I don't know if I could do a Christmas without some version of In dulci jubilo.

The thing is, when does a religious carol lose its secular connotations, and through popular use, enter into the world of hymnody?
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • tomjaw
    @Salieri The best carols can't be sung in church, so we have been meeting up as a choir in Advent and singing Advent carols with copious amounts of mince pies and mulled wine... This year to raise money for a new church hall we will celebrate in the old parish hall and sell the mince pies, mulled wine and mulled ale to those that wish to attend.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • a_f_hawkins
    Devotional, not liturgical.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Depends on how we define sacred. I would also consider it devotional. Sacred in the sense that it expresses religious sentiment, but it's not liturgical so it cannot be used in place of a proper liturgical text. Yet, I don't see an issue with it during Mass if there is time for filler music like during offertory after the proper antiphon is sung. Devotional hymns and suitable instrumental music would also fall into this devotional category.