incorporating a flutist?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    My wife is a really, really fantastic flutist. Growing up, she played a lot at church… granted, these were parishes where, in the 1980s and '90s, Glory & Praise (albeit played on the organ) or something a bit more traditional (e.g., Owen Alstott) was the usual fare, so pulling out the slow movement of some baroque sonata during the Offertory was sort of a nod to elegance, if you will.

Fast-forward almost two decades. I've been deep into learning about and singing sacred music at our parish for a couple of years now. I've spearheaded a chanted Ordinary, and I sing almost all the propers from the Gregorian Missal, accompanied on organ with the Nova Organi Harmonium (and again, thanks a million for that, Jeff O.!).

My wife respects my passion for sacred music… but she misses playing at church.

The only conspicuously OCP material that I still sing are the respectable Owen Alstott "Respond & Acclaim" Responsorial Psalms and Alleluias… in large part because my wife can play the descants, which do indeed sound pretty nice when she plays.

Can I incorporate her talents as a flutist (that is, solo flute with organ accompaniment) in some more meaningful way, while still pushing toward more sacred music at Mass? Granted, it's a step off the strict path towards the ideal… but can't I somehow still make progress towards greater solemnity, with chanted propers and with an outstanding flutist?

The best idea I have right now would be to have her play following the Offertory chant… the organist could repeat the accompaniment, and my wife could improvise on the melody.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
  • CharlesW
    I have a flutist who plays occasionally at one of our masses. She is very talented and knows how to blend her instrument with the organ and the choir. The organ is a Romantic instrument, so the two instruments blend well and produce a nice sound.
  • Mark, I'd love to converse with you off-forum about this. As a DM (with a BA in flute/string bass, and I play it at Masses virtually every weekend) who also has two other professional flutists in my schola, I've got lots of experiences and ideas to share with you.
    cculbreth (at) tccov (dot) org
  • Pes