Now its on to Salve Regina
  • kevinfkevinf
    "Salve Regina, the Marian antiphon sung from trinity Sunday until the First Sunday of Advent"

We should know it really well by the end of the church year. I do really love it.

Kevin
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Which one are you using? Has anyone ever attempted the Solemn, older version with a congregation?
  • kevinfkevinf
    The easy one. Do-mi-so-la-so.
  • Gilbert
    So, the monks at solemn wrote the simple tones for the marian antiphons, right? Why is the simple tone for the Salve Regina completely different than the solemn tone. The other Marian Antiphons' simple tones are just simplified versions of the solemn tones. Does it have a different source?
  • Pes
    IIRC, the simple Salve is from the 17th century. I don't have my books handy -- can anyone confirm?
  • GavinGavin
    Wouldn't surprise me, Pes.

The Langlais Missa Salve Regina quotes the Solemn Salve, doesn't it? And what of the Rosae Mystica? (I just got the CD of Westminster singing Langlais)
  • kevinfkevinf
    Yes, Langlais uses the solemn one. He loved that tune very much. Tournemire quotes the solemn one in the office for Assumption as well as the Purification of MAry office.
  • JamJam
    I've been in two Catholic churches which knew that song pretty well. I don't think it would be any trouble at all to get a congregation into.