Director of Sacred Music / Organist -- St. Mary, Help of Christians, Sleepy Eye, MN (Full-time)
  • Director of Sacred Music / Organist
    St. Mary, Help of Christians Catholic Church
    Sleepy Eye, Minnesota

F/T, Exempt Employee, Full Benefits

St. Mary, Help of Christians Catholic Church in Sleepy Eye, Minnesota, Diocese of New Ulm, is seeking a full-time Director of Sacred Music to glorify God and edify the faithful by carrying on the parish's long and robust tradition of sacred music for the liturgy in a beautiful, historic church building, with multiple volunteer parish choirs and an excellent pipe organ, and which actively incorporates the parish's PreK-12 Catholic School into the musical life of the parish. Sleepy Eye is a city of about 4,000 in Brown County, MN. This safe, beautiful, walkable community is undergoing a revitalization and renaissance of its historic downtown and boasts a strong and dedicated Catholic community that take great pride in supporting their parish and school.

Reports to: Pastor
    Receives Work Direction From School Principal
    Direct Reports: Accompanists and other parish musicians

Essential Parish Tasks (20-30 hrs/wk):
    -Direct, recruit, train, and, if necessary, accompany the two parish choirs (Caecilian Choir for the 9:30 Mass in English, Stella Maris Choir for the 11:30 Mass in Latin) for Sundays and, as determined, holy days, running rehearsals during the week.
    -Serve as organist for at least one weekend Mass. Schedule accompanists and cantors for other weekend and holy day Masses, and submit the schedules to the parish office for publication.
    -Proficiency in organ playing, voice, and choral conducting, as necessary for the job and established by audition.
    -Work with cantors and accompanists to ensure musical and liturgical standards are met.
    -Prepare long-range music plans and weekly liturgy sheets for parish and school Masses, and place them in the sacristy weekly.
    -Prepare the cantor and accompanist binders for weekend liturgies.
    -See to or delegate responsibility for live-streaming the 7:30 am Sunday Mass and major feast days. A full set of instructions and trained volunteers are already in place.
    -Prepare music for special parish celebrations, such as Holy Hours, Marian processions, occasional Vespers services, Good Friday Tenebrae, and others as requested.
    -Funerals and weddings for additional compensation as requested by the family / as available.
    -Possibility of using parish/school facilities for private music lessons.

Essential School Duties (10-20 hrs/wk):
    -Serve as the primary instructor for the HS Concert Choir, according to an established weekly schedule, planning and preparing music for 3 concerts and Large Group Contest each year.
    -Serve as an assistant instructor for the MS Choir, working with the Elementary music teacher on an as-needed basis multiple times a week.
    -Plan and provide music for one or two weekly school Masses in the church.
    -Prepare liturgy sheets for High School Masses.
    -Serve as the primary instructor for the MS/HS Schola Cantorum, rehearsing once a week, and singing at all MS/HS and All School Masses in the Church.
    -Provide music and, collaborating with the Elementary music teacher, begin the process of building a student choir for near-weekly Elementary School Masses Church.
    -Prepare the annual School Mass schedule (after the first year -- outgoing director will prepare schedule for 2022-23 academic year)

-Qualification: B.A. in Music, Theology, Liturgy, or related field, with equivalent experience. Master's or equivalent professional experience preferred. 3- 5 years of experience in a parish setting preferred

Compensation:
    Generous, livable wage commensurate with experience and credentials

Practicing Catholic preferred. Candidates are expected to live a life publicly in conformity with the moral teachings of the Catholic Church.

Employment is contingent on the completion of necessary background checks and required child protection training/certification.

Starts July 2022.

Interested applicants should visit the website, www.sesmschool.com, to obtain an application. Mail or email a personal resume, St. Mary’s application, and three references to:

Fr. Mark Steffl
    St. Mary’s Church
    636 1st Ave N
    Sleepy Eye, MN 56085
    507-794-4171
    msteffl@dnu.org

• Editoral:

As I posted before, I have been in this job for six years, and leave on extremely happy terms. I am happy to answer any and all questions relative to the responsibilities, work environment, community / local life, etc.

Be forewarned: If you're hoping for the juicy gossip, sorry to disappoint you, but I will have almost nothing negative to say. This place has been very, very good to me, and it deserves someone excellent to take my place and carry on the tradition.
  • chonakchonak
    I am informed that the parish has filled the position. Congratulations to the new Director of Sacred Music!
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions