The Great Feast
  • Kathy
    I just thought I'd point out that June 9th is the festival of St. Ephrem the Syrian, Doctor of the Church, Deacon and Hymnographer.

From Pope Benedict XV: ...We, who embrace the Eastern Church with no less solicitude and charity than our predecessors, truly rejoice, now that the frightful war is ended. We rejoice that many in the Eastern community have achieved liberty and wrested their holy things from the control of the laity. They are now striving to set the nation in order, consistent with the character of its people and the established customs of their ancestors. We propose, appropriately, a splendid example of sanctity, learning, and paternal love for them to diligently imitate and nurture. We speak of Saint Ephrem the Syrian, whom Gregory of Nyssa compared to the River Euphrates because he "irrigated by his waters the Christian community to bring forth fruits of faith a hundred-fold." We speak of Ephrem, whom all the inspired orthodox Fathers and Doctors, including Basil, Chrysostom, Jerome, Francis of Sales, and Alphonsus Liguori, praise. We are pleased to join these heralds of truth, who though separated from each other in talent, in time and place, nevertheless perfect a harmony modulated by "one and the same spirit."
    ... His writings cover almost all ecclesiastical doctrines. There are extant commentaries on Sacred Scripture and the mysteries of the faith; sermons on obligations and on the interior life; studies on the sacred liturgy; hymns for the feastdays of our Lord and of the Blessed Virgin and of the saints, for the processions of prayers and penitential days, for the funerals of the departed. In all of these, his purity of soul shines forth as a "burning and shining"25 evangelical lamp. By illustrating the truth he makes us love and embrace it. Indeed when Jerome testifies about the writings of Ephrem in his day, he tells us that they were read in public liturgical assemblies along with the works of the orthodox Fathers and Doctors. He also affirms that he recognized "the sublimity of Ephrem's genius even in the translations" of these same works from the Syrian into Greek. (Principi Apostolorum Petro)

From Pope Benedict XVI: The figure of Ephrem is still very relevant for the life of the various Christian Churches. In the first place we discover him as a theologian, who began from sacred Scripture and poetically reflected upon the mystery of the redemption of man by Christ, the embodiment of the Word of God. His theological reflection is expressed with images and symbols taken from nature, from daily life and from the Bible. Ephrem conferred an educational and catechetical character to his poetry and to the hymns for the liturgy; these are theological hymns suitable for performance or liturgical songs. Ephrem uses such hymns to spread the doctrine of the Church at liturgical festivals. Over time the hymns proved to be an extremely effective catechetical instrument for the Christian community. (Wednesday Catechesis, Nov 28, 2007, http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1932111/posts)

Cheers!
  • Happy Feast, Kathy!
    St. Ephrem is a wonderful patron indeed.
    I look forward to seeing you at the Colloquium, and I'm remembering to bring decent walking shoes. :)
  • miacoyne
    "Indeed when Jerome testifies about the writings of Ephrem in his day, he tells us that they were read in public liturgical assemblies along with the works of the orthodox Fathers and Doctors."

This is beautiful and educational. I just want to understand correctly. Does " public liturgical assemblies" here mean Orthodox Liturgy? and do they read writings of theologians in their liturgy even now? Im just curious and understand correctly.

Thanks.
  • Kathy
    I'm not sure about Jerome's time, Mia, but it occurs to me that we read the Fathers and Doctors aloud in our liturgy nowadays, in the Office of Readings of the Liturgy of the Hours.
  • mjballoumjballou
    St. Ephrem is one of my favorites and definitely worth knowing. You can learn more here on the OrthodoxWiki. The Eastern liturgical rites, especially Vespers and Matins are literally stuffed with rich poetry and allegorical interpretation of Scripture and the natural world.

Thanks for the reminder, Kathy.
  • miacoyne
    Very Interesting. Thanks Kathy and Mj.

It says, "Ephrem rehearsed all female choirs to sing his hymns." Did you see that MJ?

Where can we find his hymns (translated to latin), Breviary?

I really wish our parish starts the Liturgy of Hours. (well, it might be our schola.)
  • Kathy
    I've started simple recitation groups of the Hours in several settings. All you need are books and a little place to keep them, a scheduled time, and a designated leader. And the pastor's permission. Best of all is the pastor's direct involvement (this is rare, I think.)

In one parish we had a little stand with a shelf for the books (one-volume Christian Prayer) and on top of the stand was a book for parishioners to write intentions. We kept the stand by the side altar where we said our Morning Prayer 1/2 an hour before Mass.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks, Kathy. This is exciting. This summer might be the time. (and thanks to St. Ephrem for inpiring us, and I ask his prayer and guidance for our schola)