• Drake
    For Passiontide. This brief polyphonic emphasis of O Crux Ave is intended to be sung at the appropriate place in the chant Vexilla Regis. The Bass line closely follows the chant. Free PDF and playback at the following link:

https://www.catholicliving.net/o-crux-ave-spes-unica/
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Very sensitive, moving. Thank you so much for this!
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Drake
    Thank you @CHGiffen for the feedback. You are always so kind and encouraging!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • Heath
    Beautiful...but that second inversion at the cadence is KILLING ME. :)
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Drake
    @Heath, not sure if the second inversion is killing you in a good way or a bad way :-) The cadence there is not supposed to be final, the chant picking up where the bass leaves off. However, if you prefer, please feel free to drop the bass to a C.

I wish I had a technical term for what sound I'm trying for at the end. It's simultaneously hopeful and awestruck.

Thank you for the input!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Heath
  • As always, there is a poignant, a deeply pensive air in your work.
    This is beautiful and I'm sure there will a number on our Forum who will want to use it. I must agree with Heath, though, about that 2nd inversion.
    Thanked by 3Drake RedPop4 Heath
  • Drake
    I have updated the post and the score, dropping the Bass to C, thus removing the inversion. Thanks again for the input, @Heath.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Heath
  • achoyce91
    What a gentle composition! At least the way the software instruments perform it. Good work.
    Thanked by 1Drake