• achoyce91
    Hello everyone,

Below is a link to a new Mass setting in Bb minor for organ and chorus. Unfortunately, I had to use virtual instruments so no text can be heard in the recording. I used to have virtual instruments that could generate words (East/West's Hollywood Choir), but I don't have access to the email associated with the account. Anyways, here's the SoundCloud link with text embedded in all of the parts: https://soundcloud.com/alexchoyce/sets/mass-in-bb-minor
    Let me know what y'all think (Texan here).

Blessings,
    Alex
  • SalieriSalieri
    On first hearing, it sounds good (of course, virtual instruments never do justice to anything).

Do you happen to have a score (pdf) that you could up-load? It would make it easier to follow along (having the words, etc.), and to give feedback re., text underlay, voice-leading, etc.
  • achoyce91
    I do! Thanks for commenting the way. I'll create a YouTube video with the score following along. I should have done that in the first place.
  • achoyce91
    Here's the Dropbox link to the score in the meantime: https://soundcloud.com/alexchoyce/sets/christ-the-king
  • GambaGamba
    Alex, this is nice work! Welcome to the Forum!

Two quick thoughts –

1) Organ parts always go beneath vocal parts. I have never in my life seen a score that dared defy this norm; the accompanying keyboard instrument is always at the very bottom of any full score. I have a BM and MM in organ and have played from xeroxes of xeroxes of unrealized figured basses, scores engraved by apes onto microfilm and then further reduced for print, and all other kinds of difficult scores. But trying to perform with organ written above voices would break me; every system would derail me. I think presenting it this way will prevent many ensembles from programming it. Should be a simple switch of instrument order in Sibelius.

2) B flat minor is wonderful and underused! Do you intend for congregations to sing this, though? I think high F (top of treble staff) is pushing it for congregations; untrained men and women will drop down an octave. D – D really seems to be the money range for untrained mixed voices in my experience, with diminishing returns on excursions beyond that.

Thanked by 1achoyce91
  • achoyce91
    Agh! Finale got me! Thank you for pointing out the organ placement, Gamba. I'm gonna fix that right now. And it is intended for congregations to sing. It is bumped up a notch, however. Bb minor is sosoooo preetttyy!!!
  • achoyce91
    There is no High F in the score or music. E flat is there, but just a semi-tone above D.
  • GambaGamba
    High F is in the Kyrie, bars 2 and 4 and subsequent, no?
    Thanked by 1achoyce91
  • achoyce91
    Oh, you're right. It sounds so easy... lol
  • achoyce91
    I have not conducted (except for a nonsense conducting class) nor played organ for any choir, but I think the Fs are fine. I do have experience singing high Fs and they're only troublesome when prolonged. Although intonation might be an issue to untrained ears.
  • achoyce91
    Singing a D4 for a half-note is harder for me than singing an F4 for a mere eighth note (Bass/Baritone).
  • alex, the recording you posted (with 'fake' instruments) is quite beautiful
  • achoyce91
    @Dixit_Dominus_44 Thank you. I work with what I got, which is pretty good if only the organ could do more than foundation and flute stops. And the choir do more than "ahs" but yes definitely quality to it.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I'm looking forward to your YouTube presentation with score and recording
  • achoyce91
    I just need a good free movie maker platform should be a piece of cake @irishtenor
    My great grandmother was Irish by the way : D