Summer 2022 Graduate Sacred Music Courses at St. Joseph's Seminary, New York - Online and In-Person
  • Graduate-level study structured for busy schedules

Online or in-person, intensive or term-length course formats

Download the brochure here.

Register, or find out more here: www.dunwoodie.edu/dunwoodie-music-classes

With affordable tuition rates and convenient course structures, St. Joseph’s Seminary and College offers a rich learning experience for parish and school musicians who want to immerse themselves in the beauty, truth, and holiness of the Church’s sacred music and liturgy.

Whether you’re new to sacred music or have studied music at the graduate level, our courses will assist you in unlocking the treasury of Catholic sacred music, helping you grow in your spiritual life, amplifying your knowledge of and love for Christ and the Church’s music, and strengthening the skills needed for faithful service in the Church.

Join us this summer to experience the depths of the Church’s riches, taught by experienced teachers and musicians, faithful to the Church’s magisterium and tradition.

Faculty
    Dr. Jennifer Donelson-Nowicka (St. Joseph's Seminary)
    Fr. Matthew Ernest (St. Joseph's Seminary)
    Prof. Charles Weaver (CUNY and Juilliard)
    Dr. Edward Schaefer (Collegium Sanctorum Angelorum)

Principles of Sacred Music
    May 31–July 31 online asynchronous, August 1 and 2 in-person or synchronous online 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    Instructor: Jennifer Donelson-Nowicka, 3 credits or audit

Parish Sacred Music Program Management
    Monday and Wednesday evenings, June 1–June 27, synchronous online, 6:30–8:30 p.m.
    Instructor: Jennifer Donelson-Nowicka, 1 credit or audit

Principles of Chant
    July 5–9, in-person or synchronous online, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Advanced Seminar in Gregorian Chant: Conducting (Chironomy)
    July 11–15, in-person or synchronous online, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
    Instructor: Jennifer Donelson-Nowicka, 1 credit or audit

Advanced Seminar in Gregorian Chant: Semiology and Manuscript Study
    July 11–15, in-person or synchronous online, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
    Instructor: Edward Schaefer, 1 credit or audit

Liturgical Year & Environment of Worship
    July 18–22, in-person/synchronous, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    Instructor: Fr. Matthew Ernest, 3 credits or audit

Teaching Gregorian Chant to Children
    July 18–22, in-person/synchronous, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Choral Repertoire and Practicum: Parish Choirs
    July 25–29, in-person recommended, online available, 9 a.m.–12 p.m., 1:30 p.m.–3:30 p.m.
    Instructor: Jennifer Donelson-Nowicka, 2 credits or audit

Renaissance Choral Repertoire: History, Analysis, and Performance Practice for Parish Musicians
    July 25–29, in-person or synchronous online, 6:00 p.m.–8:30 p.m.
    Instructor: Charles Weaver, 1 credit or audit
    Thanked by 1mattebery
  • ServiamScores
    Greetings—
    I'm very interested in two courses, however I'm a little confused on some of the particulars and I would appreciate if you could point me in the proper direction.

I intend to audit two courses, and I have previously never taken any courses through this institution so I will qualify for discounted tuition (I'm thrilled about this). What I am not clear on is the distinction between first time auditors who are or are not seeking admittance to the St. Cecelia Academy of Pastoral Musicians vs those who are. One requires submitting official transcripts.

Am I correct in that, while the courses associated with the academy are useful to all musicians, the SCAPM really only benefits those in NYC, and hence it would be sufficient for me to eschew this particular route? Or is there some other benefit I'm overlooking?
  • Hi Serviam - thanks for the questions.

Anyone can apply to be a part of SCAPM, whether or not you intend to get this Archdiocese of New York accreditation. It's free to do so, and the benefit of doing so would be that you'd get the 50% discount on tuition on all music/liturgy classes you take, so I'd recommend doing it. One simply needs a letter from one's pastor saying that the applicant is active in the parish (or parish school) music program. If you were to go the route of not applying for SCAPM, the 50% discount would apply to only the first course.

Regardless, to take any of the courses, you'll need to submit transcripts, even if you're just auditing. This is because you're being admitted to an accredited graduate school, regardless of whether you're planning to pursue a full degree or not. In the end, you'll have an official transcript at St. Joseph's Seminary.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • ServiamScores
    Thank you for your kind response.