Liber Usualis with five line notation
  • Hello All:

I was given a 1924 edition of the Liber Usualis containing five-line notation instead of the traditional four-line notation. It appears to have been published for the Dioceses of France. Also, the notation contains treble clefs and metronome markings. I'm familiar enough with various editions of the Liber Usualis to know this is unusual. Can anyone give me background on the publication of this edition? Further links or websites? I invite you to send a response to glbsub@verizon.net in addition to this forum.

Many thanks!!

Gary
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    there is a weak scan posted here. looks 72 dpi to me, but I can't really see trying it again, can you? I'm guessing here that this was just an effort by solesmes to get the chant out there any way it could. but these days, anyone who is doing chant surely see the needs to learn neumes, or, if you are just doing a few chant hymns, that material is already out there in modern notes.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Here is the Liber Usualis in modern notation in a better scan (look at the 1924 one in four parts)

You might be also be interested in the Weinmann 1909 Graduale which is on FIVE lines, but in Gregorian notation.
  • G
    "FIVE lines, but in Gregorian notation"

I have it on very good authority that that is how all the choir books in Paradise are set up...

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)