M.Lysenko - Bozhe Velyky Yedyny (Prayer for Ukraine)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Prayer for Ukraine" is a solemn song, the spiritual anthem of Ukraine. Written in 1885. The composer is Mykola Lysenko, lyrics by Oleksandr Konysky

width="960" height="540">
    Literary translation by Dmytro Shostak:

Lord, oh the Great and Almighty,
    Protect our beloved Ukraine,
    Bless her with freedom and light
    Of your holy rays.

With learning and knowledge enlighten
    Us, your children small,
    In love pure and everlasting
    Let us, oh Lord, grow.

We pray, oh Lord Almighty,
    Protect our beloved Ukraine,
    Grant our people and country
    All your kindness and grace.

Bless us with freedom, bless us with wisdom,
    Guide into kind world,
    Bless us, oh Lord, with good fortune
    For ever and evermore.
  • We have not seen any such evil in Europe since Stalin and Hitler. And in the running up to it our Western leaders have been like a batch of clueless Chamberlains.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Indeed, if the world has learned nothing from history, then history is bound to repeat itself.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    SNL ("Saturday Night Live" on NBC) opened with a tribute to Ukraine featuring the Ukrainian Chorus Dumka of New York singing "Prayer for Ukraine" - watch it on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/IjE4_h0t7qI
  • Now THIS is a Lysenko I can support!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen chonak
  • I love slavic choral music (Tchesnokov being my absolute favorite!) but I find it impenetrable due to the language barrier which saddens me. If it were any romantic language I could parse it out, but the differences here are so extreme (right down to alphabet) that I've never been able to touch them.
    Thanked by 1Anna_Bendiksen
  • Quick and dirty arrangement, but maybe of interest to some here. Typesetters, have at it, if you like!
  • ServiamScores
    You rock. I’ll take a look at this soon; have to get through Wednesday first.
  • It works really well! Just did it at rehearsal.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Text in Ukrainian latin letters (literal translation below):

Bozhe velykyi, yedynyi,
    Nam Ukrainu khrany,
    Voli i svitu prominniam,
    Ty yii osiny.

Svitlom nauky i znannia
    Nas, ditey, prosvity,
    V chystii liubovi do kraiu,
    Ty nas, Bozhe, zrosty.

Molymos', Bozhe yedynyi,
    Nam Ukrainu khrany,
    Vsi svoi lasky y shchedroty,
    Ty na liud nash zverny.

Dai yomu voliu, dai yomu doliu,
    Dai dobroho svitu, shchastia,
    Dai, Bozhe, narodu
    I mnohaia, mnohaia lita.

Literal (not literary) translation:

Oh Lord, Almighty and Only
    for us our Ukraine, please, keep
    by freedom's and the rays of light
    you set her in light.

By light of science and knowledge
    keep us, your children, enlightened.
    the pure love to the land
    you, oh Lord, please, instill.

We pray, oh Lord and the Only,
    for us our Ukraine, please, keep.
    all of your presents and generosity,
    you turn to people of ours.

Give them the freedom, give them good fate,
    give them good light, and the happiness,
    give, oh Lord, people
    many and many years.
  • Here is my Stella Maris choir at rehearsal last night, reading through the arrangement of Da Pacem, Domine set to Lysenko's tune that I posted above.

We will be singing it at Mass every week until this nonsense is over.
  • ServiamScores
    Nihil, I was charmed with this, so I took your MP3 and applied some noise reduction and placed you in a lovely European Church. I think the results speak for themselves.
  • Schönbergian
    I love slavic choral music (Tchesnokov being my absolute favorite!) but I find it impenetrable due to the language barrier which saddens me. If it were any romantic language I could parse it out, but the differences here are so extreme (right down to alphabet) that I've never been able to touch them

You may find the Musica Russica editions and their superb transliteration system of some use. I find them indispensable when performing Russian choral music.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is my edition of Lysenko's Prayer for Ukraine (Bozhe velykij, yedynyj) with transliterated Ukrainian lyrics using the English alphabet. My arrangement is based upon that of Oleksander Koshyts, with modifications that avoid parallel fifths and some better chord balance. This should be of use to English speakers/singers who are not fluent or familiar with Ukrainian characters. A choral score, and mp3 sound realization, and a choral score with rehearsal keyboard are attached. The dynamics are based upon some of the available recorded performances from YouTube.

Note: I've replaced the former files with improved ones (there are a few changes to represent most common vocal line). Additionally, I've also added the corresponding scores with Ukrainian (cyrillic) characters (for those who read it more easily).
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Totally different hymn, but if someone likes it... Our Sisters in the Ukraine have been chanting the "Sub Tuum" as they do in the Byzantine Tradition everyday and have asked whoever can to join them in praying for protection.

Please pray for our Sisters and Priests there who have decided to remain. We have 9 different communities of Sisters and 12 communities of Fathers, of which 6 of our Sisters communities are in war zones. And all of our Priests are in war zones.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    impenetrable
    It's worth the plunge. There are various ways approach Church Slavonic, and I had the good luck to first try with a group of first and second generation immigrants who nonetheless had a policy of pronouncing everything as spelled. Having thus taught my own choir, I now find it tricky to eschew the russified vowel reductions that are beginning to be habitual in my expanding operatic/song repertoire.
    Until last month I've only known Tchaikovsky's piano works via Stravinsky's Fairy's Kiss. Playing some now, I am loathe to admit it about grandma's and John Cage's favorite composer, but they quite put Grieg in the shade!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Russian, Ukrainian, and (Old) Church Slavonic are three distinct, although somewhat similar, languages. And even Church Slavonic is not always pronounced the same way by modern day Russians and Ukrainians alike, although the pronunciation (as I understand it) is probably closer to Ukrainian than to Russian.
    Also, note that I have replaced the files of my edition above with updated ones and also added scores with Ukrainian (Cyrillic) characters.
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist