Fr. Columba Kelly English Chant - Ordinary Time Now Available
  • Fr. Columba Kelly's settings for Ordinary Time are now posted through the 20th Sunday.
  • Adam, thank you for this.

A question for the group...on the USCCB Readings page, there is no Alleluia Verse verse.

What is the source of the verses, who assigns them? Are they assigned or just chosen from a list of available ones that fit....are they in the Lectionary? If they are, why are they not on the USCCB page?

I am aware that Fr. Kelly presents the Antiphons, ready for use, which is wonderful. What do you all use for verses with your schola when using these?
  • miacoyne
    Our schola is singing just communion antiphones for now, then the congregation sings a hymn. Can't do too much right away here. The parish is not ready for much changes yet. (I already introduced Latin Ordinaries. Well, I know some are not too happy about that. just slowly , step by step... We can wait for verses to be out, then eventually those will be sung than the hymns)

Adam, thank you so much. I'll pray for the project.
  • Frogman--

I'll preface my answers first by saying that I completely understand the difference between the proper texts the Missal and those in the Gradual. Fr. Kelly has chosen to set the texts of the Missal for this particular collection.

The Alleluia verse, therefore, can be found in the Sacramentary. They can also be found here.

Verses for the Introit and Communion chants, on the other hand, get a bit difficult to address. Verses for these antiphons are not given in the current Missal. This is because these antiphons were meant, strictly speaking, to be spoken, not sung. But since many have chosen to sing them I suppose that a few options exist.

1. You could just sing the antiphon and then move into a hymn or motet. This is what is currently happening in my parish most of the time.

2. When the texts of the Missal and Gradual antiphons match you can use vernacular translations of the verses prescribed in the Gradual. This happens most often in the privileged seasons. But not so much during Ordinary Time.

3. If the antiphon is a psalm text you could use the rest of the psalm as the verse. This seems common in chants of the Gradual. In my opinion this is probably the least preferable of the three.

I prefer method #2 when possible. Personally, I would like to see a project that sets all of the texts of Gradual with the coming new translations. This meaning the Grail Psalter and the translation used in the revised Lectionary. A while back I proposed to this forum that, according to Liturgiam Authenticam, we will have approved vernacular translations of Graduale Romanum. You can find this discussion here. But until a project like this is possible (and I would love for Fr. Kelly to undertake it!) it may be best just to sing the antiphons in conjunction with a hymn. This is working well at my parish where we are slowly introducing the concept that propers exist.

Does anyone else have any other methods of selecting verses for the Entrance and Communion chants of the Missal?
  • Adam,

Thanks, this is very, very helpful.