Perosi, "O Sacrum Convivium"
  • ...Englished.

Allow me to explain:

I have a few Seniors in my school choir who grumble on and off about learning new music in Latin (no, Latin sacred music is not new to them; yes, they've been catechized and formed; yes, there are several Latin pieces which they *love* to sing), so I save the Latin for the masterworks, and don't waste my political capital on just "nice" Latin pieces. Compound that with the fact that the faculty recently elected to discontinue printed service folders for the students in the pews, and suddenly an audibly intelligible text becomes a high priority.

All of that said, I love Perosi's simple and sweet setting of this classic text, and wanted to do it for a school Mass. So I Englished it. Behold, it is attached, for anyone who might also find it useful.

If you've never heard it... from Bp. Marini's Ordination Mass at the Basilica di San Pietro
  • SalieriSalieri
    Nice job. There's nothing wrong with a good 'miniature' (a category into which I will also put Tye's "Laudate nomen Domini").

Compound that with the fact that the faculty recently elected to discontinue printed service folders for the students in the pews

It's so nice when people who know nothing about liturgy make sweeping decisions about it. I'm willing to bet you my entire yearly income that in a few months the same faculty will be complaining that the students aren't picking up the hymnals and aren't singing/participating, and that the next time you do perform a Latin motet they will complain that you shouldn't be singing in Latin because the students don't understand it and don't have a copy of the translation of the text.
  • It's so nice when people who know nothing about liturgy make sweeping decisions about it. I'm willing to bet you my entire yearly income that in a few months the same faculty will be complaining that the students aren't picking up the hymnals and aren't singing/participating, and that the next time you do perform a Latin motet they will complain that you shouldn't be singing in Latin because the students don't understand it and don't have a copy of the translation of the text.

I'm tempted to take your bet since, thankfully, we have a very solid faculty generally -- heck, one of them runs the serving for, and another sings in the choir for, the TLM (I happen to direct that choir) -- and a very supportive administration. What we do is pretty well-established at this point.

Sadly, bleak and awful as it must sound from without, this wasn't so much ideological, but it was more a pragmatic decision relating to funds spent printing 300 of these things each week vs. their actual use and utility. And it's true -- we have hymnals with the daily propers (we sing those) and psalm responses included within -- the only real utility of the sheets (other than the mess someone had to deal with from their being left everywhere) was in fact including the texts of any motets, or the notes for a psalm response. Enough of our repertoire is English already, that the reasoning didn't seem compelling.

To be fair, too -- I only started them when the hymnals got removed for CoViD two years ago. When they came back, I just kept doing them. Sneaky, huh?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CGM
    I think that the bass in m. 15 is missing a sharp — should be G# on the word "for".
    (Compare the Latin score here.)
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • To be fair, too -- I only started them when the hymnals got removed for CoViD two years ago. When they came back, I just kept doing them. Sneaky, huh?
    not as sneaky as us removing them from the pews and never putting them back. We are committed to worship aids form now on. It's a fair bit of work for me, but I enjoy it and it allows me complete latitude with what we sing.
  • Thank you!