Proper Antiphons other than English or Spanish
  • Hello,

Does anyone know of projects translating any of the Proper antiphons from Latin into a language other than English (many sources) or Spanish (Janet Gorbitz)?

Thanks in advance.
  • GerardH
    This discussion might lead to Mandarin, Cantonese or Vietnamese attempts.

And @smvanroode has his Klein Graduale in Dutch.

There is also the Graduale Hungaricum, which I just discovered while going down the László Dobszay rabbit hole. I don't know if this is an adaptation of the full Graduale or the Graduale Simplex, and I suspect it also incorporates scholarship around plainchant in Hungary.
    Thanked by 1Cordenuit
  • Some people have tried to compose some Antiphons into French, but these ressources are very limited for the moment, and almost impossible to find.
  • a_f_hawkins
    For Sundays and major festivals over 150 of them are identical with those in the Missal, mostly Introits.
  • I am doing some composition in portuguese.
  • One of our Monasteries was working on doing it French, but it is apparently very complicated because of the nature of that language and gregorian.
  • igneusigneus
    German. Heinrich Rohr: Deutsches Messantiphonale.

(Czech, but it was back in the 16th c. and the liturgical texts, language and tastes changed a lot since then, so the old Czech gradualia only come to a very limited use as a historical curiosity - excepting selected repertory of the Rorate masses.)
  • In Portuguese there is a project with all the antiphons of the Graduale Simplex adapted:

https://linktr.ee/gradualsimples
  • Kathy
    At one point Notre-Dame Cathedral was singing them metrically in French, if memory serves.