Regina Caeli Aichinger -- Brass to double vocal parts
  • vansensei
    Had an idea in a thread, so here it is.

BRASS PLAYERS, PLEASE COMMENT!! If I'm doing something wrong
  • vansensei
    This is for Bb trumpets, horn in F and trombone. Two C trumpets and two bones could read from the choral score.
  • This piece was written to be sung acapella and is beautiful. I heard it done with instrumentation at a concert and it just sounded terrible and didn’t have the same angelic heavenly sound to it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GambaGamba

This piece was written to be sung acapella….

What’s your source on this? Aichinger lived 1564-1628. In this time period it was quite usual for some or all the vocal parts to be doubled, or even replaced by instruments, usually brass. No specific instrumental parts were written since none were needed. Aichinger was a student of Gabrieli, who did this to great effect in his multi-choral pieces for St. Mark’s, Venice. No way did he have enough singers to field 24 different parts in equal measure. The brass played a huge role in the “choral” music of this period.

Now, the brass instruments of the 16th-17th c. were quite different – gentler and mellower then the big, bright instruments of today. So the players of vansensei’s arrangement will hopefully be aware of how to best emulate such a sound on modern instruments, and not blast away like it’s Sousa….
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I'm a brass player, and it looks perfectly fine to me.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I feel that a better doubling of parts would be by cornetto (on soprano) and 3 sackbuts. These would blend much better with the voices in this piece.

• vansensei
    I actually agree. Unfortunately not feasible in a lot of places.
  • CharlesW
    The 3 sack butts are probably altos.
  • jcr
    That actually reminds me of a terrible musician's joke about how to get an alto into a compact car, but I'll spare you the punchline.
  • ghmus7
    Polyphony was often accompianied, there was no monolithic practice. I suspect the same reasons were that we have today: ie the choir needs the help etc.
  • davido
    Unless you have a huge choir, you are probably better off doubling the parts on the organ, not with modern brass instruments. Few amateur choirs are loud enough to compete with orchestral brass instruments.
  • The 3 sack butts are probably altos.

"Does this alto part make my sack butt look big?"