Windchest slider sealant tape?
  • We continue to make great progress on the 1875 Henry Erben organ (electrified in 1923). In 1982 considerable work was done on the Choir division (shortly after which all work ceased, the console was removed, and an electronic organ installed). Part of that 1982 work consisted of adding a white sealant tape under the toe boards and on each side of the sliders to prevent air leakage (see photo). Does anyone know exactly what this is and who makes (or formerly made) it? Thanks. image
    1094 x 821 - 250K
  • I'd bet a fiver that that is not "tape" but leather.

Do you not have a professional organ builder consulting on this project?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    it does look like leather but pictures can be deceiving.
  • Leather would make the most sense and be most traditional. I'll take a closer look. No we do not have a pro assisting. We got one estimate: $200,000 to do this to all 4 divisions: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmX8Ufnb . So we can do most of the grunt work ourselves, then will hire a pro to install a new digital control system.
  • CharlesW
    The pictures are impressive. Where is this located?
  • St. Patrick Parish & Oratory, 50 Charles St, Waterbury, Connecticut USA (Detailed descriptions are under each photo, including info about the parish.)
  • CharlesW
    I saw the descriptions but they come across so small they are hard to read. Thanks for the info and good luck on the rebuild.
  • You should at least have an organ technician consulting. You will do yourself absolutely no favors if you “fix” the instrument only to have it fail in 5 years, rather than 50, because you didn’t follow proper restoration techniques.

I commend you for the hutzpah to tackle such a project, though.

(Edit: I say this as someone who spent significant time in a pipe organ shop.)
  • CharlesW
    Maybe you could hire someone with experience like a retired service tech as a consultant. Someone who could oversee you doing the work and make suggestions on how to do it better. Or at least, prevent you from making an expensive mistake.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores