• Hello!

I have written a simple polyphonic parts of the Mass that I am going to send to my archbishop and have forwarded to the National Liturgy Office, but I wondered if I should get my music copyrighted in case there is a dishonest person out there.

How do you all go about protecting your music as yours?

Thank you in advance!

Pax
  • By virtue of you writing the music, you own the copyright. It is prudent to mark your music with the ©XXXX, Christianne, All Rights Reserved, etc. but you don't have to "do" anything. If it were ever stolen and you needed to take someone to court, you could provide, as evidence, the fact that you submitted the composition to bhe NLO and your Bishop as proof (among other things).
  • chonakchonak
    If you're in the US, you have copyright protection by law automatically, even before you register the work with the Copyright Office. Elsewhere I don't know what the rules are.
  • Elmar
    Same in the EU; that's why it isn't called copyright, but (depending on language) something saying 'author's right'.

I especially like 'our' German Urheberrecht, literally 'original raiser's right':
    like you haven't created your music/poem/novel out of yourself, rather you are the first human to discover this treasure in the field of God's thoughts created before all time.
  • Thank you so much for all of the responses! I read more on copyright laws, and your answers were very helpful.
    Here's to having more beautiful and reverent liturgical music!

Many blessings!

Pax,
    Christianne