My good friend David Haas
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Indeed! It's good that a truly "diverse" group of speakers has been invited.

Are you mentally thinking back to all you've commented on regarding Mr. Haas?
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Hmmm, you know, I'm not sure that I've ever written on Haas actually.
  • gregpgregp
    Should we even ask what the music will be for the Mass and Vespers?
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    gregp, I think you just did! :)
    I will be interesting to know! I'll post of course.
  • Jeffrey, you have always been interesting to know.

All CMAA people attending....let it be said that you will know them by their.....bow ties.
  • First it was Jeffrey's friendly bantor with Todd Flowerday on the podcast. Now Jeffrey's given equal billing with Mr. Haas (my, aren't we all getting older?) at an independent workshop.
    See, my neo-symposium proposal's already taken root!
    If we can make it passed Dec.21, 2112, I see Ruff, J. M. Thompson, NPM and Tucker brokering an alliance organization that is an official advisory board to the BCL/USCCB, ostensibly named
    Honorable (and) Orthodox Emissaries (and) Restorers (of the) Ordo's Eminent Superiority. "HEROES," indeed.
    "Save the liturgy, save the world!" spaketh G.
    Now, where's my tie and my pie?
  • CharlesW
    HEROES? Maybe it's an idea whose time has come. Jeffrey could either succeed, or lose his Haas. ;-)
  • Mr. Z
    From an article written by a to be presenter, Kevin Johnson:

"Twenty-first century liturgical reform efforts, such as the revised General Instruction of the Roman Missal have given these same pastors more reasons to impose a Euro centered model of worship on black churches. Pastors must take care to impose current liturgical reforms in a manner conducive to the cultural expression of worshipping communities as mandated by Vatican II. African American culturally based worship models are forward looking, progressive, creative and universal in nature and will never fit into a pre Vatican II mold. African American worship is expressive, vibrant and depends largely on the music of its culture to express itself in spirit and in truth. Catholic documents fully indicate the Church's commitment to liturgy."
    Wow, that kind of thinking is so patronizing, even embarrassing.
  • CharlesW
    It is patronizing. I know several African Americans who love traditional Catholic music and the liturgy. Johnson is dead wrong about them, and probably about many others, as well.
  • It is so hard to get people to understand that when people leave another religious culture to join another....they may be joining to be part of the new and abandon the old. So many churches in this area (sort of South US) really drop the ball by jumping on the praise band baptist train. They can't seem to get it in their heads that people in an area that is so culturally Baptist, when people go to a Lutheran, Prebyterian or any other denomination's church they want it to be ultra-Lutheran, Pres or whatever....not competing with the Baptists...but standing on their own.

I have worked with 100% southern Black Episcopalian churches where they were exclusively high-church. Kevin Johnson fails to understand than Vatican II has failed as it has been implemented. In the immortal words of Pogo: We have met the enemy and he is us.
  • darth_linux
    I find this statement "African American culturally based worship models are forward looking, progressive, creative and universal in nature and will never fit into a pre Vatican II mold" absolutely shocking. The musical culture of African Americans, IMHO, derives from their experience as slaves in the south when they were forced to learn English and forced to adopt the (mostly Protestant) religion of their slave owners, and formed their own musical expressions through work-songs, spirituals and the blues. To say that the uniform worship of the entire Catholic population of the world in the Pre-Vatican II Mass will not work for Americans of African descent (but will work for Africans of African descent) is just bizarre.

As soon as I read the words "worship experience" and "performance ensemble" in his description on the Symposium speaker page, I knew there was going to be a disconnect.

I don't think this guy has any idea that the music of the Catholic faith greatly surpasses the relatively limited depth of the "contemporary southern baptist" style of music.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Please, for those of us who live in the South of the US, much of religious culture is shaped by the attitudes of two distinct but interrelated groups, that of Southern Baptists and that of the African American gospel tradition. These two groups hold powerful sway over much of the experience of Southern US Christianity. Unfortunately for Catholics, those folks who have "converted" to Catholicism have consistently tried and in many cases successfully brought their musical traditions to the table, thinking that they are "sharing" with Holy Mother Church. These came people have not been properly catechized and have no clue about the ecclesiological and theological underpinnings that do not match to this music. We ourselves are to blame, for the lack of catechesis and the soft allowances have made for one hell of a mess.
    Mr. Johnson and others, thinking that they have brought the "Black "experience to Catholic life, are just imitating their Protestant brothers and sisters with no regard to the theology and praxis of the Roman liturgy. Preaching has even become a desire to "copy" TD Jakes and other "famous" preachers in the area. Sadly, parishioners of the African American nature feel like they are not being "given" their tradition, when in fact it is a sad commentary on their lack of catechesis and what they need to do is go back to the Baptist or Gospel tradition that they came from. What is really interesting is that the African descent folks (people from Africa) feel confused about their lack of understanding about "their" music, when in fact, "their" music is the Missa de Angelis and other chants that they miss hearing here. It makes for real chaos at times. I know very intimately this problem, all of these folks are in the parish I live and work in. It thus causes emnity between these seemingly similar groups. I find my greatest support among the African descent folks, who clamor for chant and polyphony.
    But then, who really reads the words and pays attention to what the songs are saying? After all, its just about us and God.
    (Please note who I put first)

Kevin
  • chonakchonak
    To give Dr. Johnson credit for when he's right, he points out that Protestant musicians working in Catholic parishes should not bring music from the Protestant worship tradition into Catholic churches indiscriminately: its text may be contrary to Catholic theology, or merely unfamiliar among Black Catholic faithful. These musicians need to understand "how the Mass is designed".

Perhaps there is some basis for common ground here?
  • darth_linux
    I'm sure there is some common ground here to be found, but anytime you are dealing with an attempt at measuring the value of worshiping the one true God in comparison to one's "experience" at church, you have a long road to hoe to get there . . . personal experience in this context is a synonym for "emotion," and most of us here agree that emotion has no place in liturgy per se . . .
  • Mr. Z
    Kevin from Atlanta,
    (Not to be confused with Dr. Kevin Johnson, also from Atlanta).

I think you are on point with much of what you point out, vis-a-vis the southern church milieu. I wish you would rethink/rewrite some of your thoughts, or modes of expression, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you may have missed these, or how they read:

"These people need to go back to ..." "People of AA nature..'"(??? what is that?). Not good.

Also, many of the AAs who are most ardently for the tradition of the church are converts, so your comment about converts just does not ring true, though of course, in individual cases it certainly may be. Many left the churches you mentioned (Babtist etc.) precisely because they wanted a liturgy of substance. This is absolutely true, and your failure to mention this undermines your otherwise good points being made.(Though you may be providing a counter point to Frogman's observations, re: converts, it still holds true in the south -- though there can be variances in percentages and amongst generations).

The truth lies somewhere in the reality that the "Euro American" church Mr. Johnson and people of his same generation refer to is most often not the church of the fullness of the 'best of' traditional elements intact and fully employed. They (we) are just not that familiar with that church. That same church (pre Vatican II) has been spoken of disparagingly from church pulpits for the last how many years and noised abroad as having been lacking and antiquated, though those on the receiving end of those "pastoral" observations are sorely lacking by way of actual contact with the same and are really talking "second hand" "wisdom." The guitar mass is their point of reference. Or some other liturgically questionable or tepid model. And so then, given this, and taking into account the present reality of what goes on in the "typical" American church of the last forty years, typified by the Hurd, Hass, Haugen,et al servings, liturgically speaking, by comparison the African American church "experience" many time IS a lavish banquet (their musical texts are far more often, at least, biblical, and not parsed and paraphrased and gender nuetralized) that is, in so much as both models are trying to "enrich" the worship "experience" of the congregants -- ehrr, oops, excuse me, the "assembly". And this "lavish banquet" is seen as such by those who strive for this "experiential" church, and thus, this type of plea for more and more of this type (of course, with improvements, he does not argue that there is perfection going on here) of liturgical model is rewarded with notoriety, workshop appearances, kudos, and the like.

A lot of folks in the American Catholic Church of all stripes long for a more meaningful encounter of the living God through our liturgies. Let no one forget this. Most people are trying to do the right thing. But there is this “hermeneutic of rupture,” now staring us in the face, that has given rise to some of these often misguided formulas for creating or reclaiming a more "authentically Catholic" liturgy wihout truly knowing exactly what that is or -- perhaps more typically relative to the topic and players -- what that was and what it looked and felt like.
  • Mr. Z
    This is also an interesting take, and as I see it, relevant to the discussion: in a nutshell, the case is made for how the Jansenist tendencies of some of the Irish Church, and by extension, the Irish led Church in America has brought on some of this; IOW this "movement" for "improvement" (shades of Jesse Jackson) can in this context be seen as an antidote to a rather bleak and dry form of Catholicism with a marked pessimism which in many cases had clung mostly to the Usus Antiquior low mass as the norm.

http://marymagdalen.blogspot.com/2009/05/save-liturgy-save-world-from-jansenism.html

I think this has some bearing on the present state of affairs. If this indeed had been the norm for many churches here, it is not a wonder that this would be rejected at some level, and so let us not be so quick to fault or reject out of hand this desire to infuse the liturgy with "soul" as this has been the desire for lots of groups when faced with the drabness of some Catholic expressions liturgical. This is not to say this "desire" for better liturgy has not wrought abuses of its own, sadly, indeed it has. But I am pointing to motivators that drive some of this and they are not necessarily wrong motivations.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Mr. Z,

Your critique of my commentary about AA's is generally correct. I let my frustration and personal experience color my response and I lost the sense of reflection that needs to be brought to the table. For that, I apologize.

And your commentary about the "lavish banquet" is accurate. In a fascinating response, I have had caucasian Anglos who have caught that sense of the experience and said that they wish for more "Gospel" music because of the richer imagery at play. However, the theology at stake often represents a Calvinist experience and also a lack of the communal nature of salvation.

Thank you for your kind "taking me to the woodshed". Let this discussion continue.
  • Denominations exist because of their differences. When they adopt the practices of other denominations they lose their individuality, most often the reason that people were moved to gravitate to it in the first place.

There is no reason that a prayer service cannot feature contemporary Christian rock or Negro Spirituals. People can choose to attend if they like. But the Mass should be the Mass, with music that approaches the ideal of the Graduale Romanum as much as is possible within the pastoral situation.
  • Tactus
    ' The liturgical year cries out for music that will help the assembly enter into the mystery of the season.'

Silly me, I thought that's what the propers were for.
  • darth_linux
    I think Frogman's latest comments really sum it up nicely - the Mass is the Mass. Litrugical music is not Devotional music. Save the devotional music, in all of it's genres, for prayer services and other get togethers, and keep it out of the Mass. Thank you Frog!
  • Mr. Z
    Big of you K.

Yes, Frogman, Darth, this is the answer, let the music be employed in those para-liturgies where they are a match. This is the call for real creativity, i.e., how to create a schedule of services where the music being discussed is really a good fit, the challenge being that we are a "fit it all into the Sunday Mass" people.

The attitudinal paradigm that has been created seems to want to slot music into categories that are basically then seen as competition among genres of equal standing, and thus in essence solely a battle of tastes, and the predominant "Euro-" musics (so called) are a result of European domination of the Church, and they need to get over themselves and let equally valid modes of expression onto the "stage" (sometimes quite literally) that has become the Mass. So the premise is wrong, wrong, wrong and so the conclusions arrived at will be ???? well, wrong. A lack of formation, a lack of support for fine music, especially salary wise, a predominance of poppycock "workshops" (really indoctrination meetings ironically sponsored by the Church herself) a lack of a clear understanding of the non-arbitrary nature of things liturgical.
  • chonakchonak
    Come to think of it, the English-language propers could be the basis for some appealing music in choral settings based on African-American musical tradition. This would actually be the sort of inculturation the Church's documents call for.

We'd have gospel renditions of introit texts such as:
    "Hear, O Lord, the sound of my call: hasten to me, O God".
    (I"m imagining this in the style of, say, Sandra Crouch.)

Now, I wouldn't recommend the use of such music where it doesn't reflect the culture of the majority of the congregation.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Chonak--yes--what an intriguing notion. If OCP and GIA composers wanted to set the propers, I suspect we'd have more respect for them. All of the theological problems associated with contemporary-music texts would fall away. The music would still have to possess some dignity . . . which could be a challenge.

It's not what I'd program for my schola. But I think this is a terrific concept.
  • Fascinating thread. I would love instruction on how to reconcile some of the statements in conciliar documents that seem to open the door to a multitude of cultural expressions in the liturgy.

For example, in Sacrosanctum concilium, there’s an entire section (III.D) on the necessity of adapting the Liturgy to the culture and traditions of peoples. A “competent territorial ecclesiastical authority” is supposed to be in charge of “adaptations” to, among other things, sacred music.

Or from Musicam sacram: “61. Adapting sacred music for those regions which possess a musical tradition of their own, especially mission areas, will require a very specialized preparation by the experts. It will be a question in fact of how to harmonize the sense of the sacred with the spirit, traditions and characteristic expressions proper to each of these peoples. Those who work in this field should have a sufficient knowledge both of the liturgy and musical tradition of the Church, and of the language, popular songs and other characteristic expressions of the people for whose benefit they are working.”

Even though Musicam sacram mentions Gregorian chant first in its list of “sacred music,” it also lists “sacred popular music, be it liturgical or simply religious” (4). What does that encompass?

Today we inaugurated a chanted Novus Ordo Mass at our diocesan center (chanting the 5 propers of the day from the Graduale Romanum), and the celebrant began his homily with a brief comment that our celebration was how Vatican II envisioned the Novus Ordo Mass. I believe that is true, but I would not be sure how to defend that statement against the “adaptations” that seem to be encouraged (not just tolerated) in the conciliar documents. Help?

Cheers – Joan
    Fr. Ruff explains these statements in his book. essentially these statements reveal a different strain of thought from the musicians. It was the liturgists vs. the musicians. Fr. Ruff's view is that the two positions can't really be reconciled. I'm not entirely sure about that. Chant can still be the universal foundation even if the elaboration will take different forms within different cultures. That's not really anything new or anything we need to be instructed about.
  • Mr. Z
    chonak,

I think the same, that there are some real possibilities for the inclusion of some of these styles (sub genres) I think the problems come up in the presentation of the music ala the choir is generally in front, and for me, all choirs in front just command way too much attention, and Gospel music is quite theatrical, and hard to contain in the sense that the soloist becomes a sort of preacher and exhorter cheerleader, what have you. On the other hand, if you suggest any kind of "reining in" of the music, you are hand cuffing it and not allowing the cultural norms to remain intact.

What is the middle ground approach that would make sense? (these are all non-expert musings) Well, I would think that all choirs should strive not be a visual magnet, and detract from the meditative aspect of the Mass, so physical placement is important, ideally in a loft, though other placements may make sense. Instrumentation is another can of worms. Laying instrumentation aside for the moment, the role of the soloist in gospel music would need to be tightly defined, or go with ensemble arrangements mostly, and there also would be needed a certain distancing the music from obviously parroting secular styles, and this is hard to do, as gospel itself, understood as the (protestant) church version of urban blues, has that as part of its genesis. Still, I think it can be done and done beautifally and fittlinly, but not without a proper understanding of Catholic patrimony and tradition.

In this "ideal" that Dr. Johnson seems to be arguing for, you have a full band, various music styles but inclusive of "right now" arrangements of the latest gospel styles, (which are heavily "band driven" and have little in common with "traditional"gospel, ala Mahalia Jackson, Five blind Boys, James Cleveland - really two different genres). You also have the free form expression (non musical) within the liturgy itself, running commentary, applauding this and that, improv, and just a stylistic overlay with the mass becoming somewhat a backdrop. There is not much here that is different from the black protestant church, (except perhaps that the protestants resonate with some of the lyrics sung much more, as they are more of a "Bible" church, just more familiar with Bible texts). Of course, he would not say this in so many words, but this is the "ideal" as I have witnessed. He mentions St. Theresa of Avilla as a model, and this was the home of the now infamous now defrocked Fr.George Stallings, founder of Imani Temple. Look that up. This is all done in the name of keeping things relevant to the hip hop generation. Johnson even laments that the GIA hymnal "Lead Me Guide Me" (gospel - Catholic) is in danger of being over utilized, not to the exclusion of chant or the like, but to the exclusion of these more modern takes on AA worship musics. Quite remarkable when one really understands that much of gospel was simply "re-dos" of established hymns, so this is a break from even AA tradition that he seems to be suggesting.

I would want to keep it clear that the observations I am offering seek not to challenge the ideal - as in liturgical model(s) - suggested by Dr. Johnson on the basis of its cultural underpinnings, but simply because it is just one more offering of the modernist post Vatican II (misinterpreted VII) "have it your way" (our way - my way?) approach to things liturgical and as such just misses the heart and soul of what liturgical practice is really for and about,.
  • miacoyne
    So, how long an Oriental Catholic in south has to look for a Catholic church that is not so foreign to her culture in US, not in a missionary country. In another words, if I'm traveling in south, and stumble into a AA majority Catholic church, I'm bound to follow their culture and experience it as a Catholic worship? Or before I go to a church, I need to check each Catholic church to find out what kind ot cultural worship they have in their church?Can the 'inculturation' in US also be alienating real minorites? So Koreans should all go to Korean Catholic churches, and Germans go to German Catholic church and AA go to ... and promote their culture in our liturgy in this mixed country? Is this what it means to be Catholic, Universal? In the missionary countries, their own culture would be the starting point for the evangelization, but in uniting Catholics as one Church, I think we need to go beyond the cultural boundaries. That's why the Church placed Gregorian chant in the first place, the highest form and most suitable music for the Roman liturgy for all the Catholics, isn't that our goal?
    We have many activites in our lives that involve people from different cultures, and I believe appreciation and respect for different cultures can be done in many places outside the liturgy. When I pray to God in Mass, I pray as a child of God, not bound as a Korean, even if I pray for the country.

Also, it seems to me that even if Vatican II 'allowed' and and gave permissions to things that are necessary to use as the Church grows and expands physically, She did not change the norms and standards of the Roman Catholic liturgy. And while many liturgists and musicians are focusing on 'things that are allowed,' and elaborating on them with high level of intellect and musicianship, they are becoming the 'norms' in many parishes. In some ways US, with so many different cultures overflowing, is a missionary country I think, because of the lack of knowledge in sacred music and sacred liturgy. They require true humility and sacrifices, such as giving up personal preferences of musical styles including cultural preferences, to learn and the trust on our Holy Church. It seems irony that while many people are keen to different cultures and try to bring them out in the liturgy, why are they ignoring the Church's cultrue and her tradition ?
  • I am not going to bring anything new or incisive to the direction this thread has taken. I think that it's great that so many capable minds and hearts here will doubtlessly contribute circumspection to Jeffrey as he prepares to address this convention and advance the ideals he consisely expresses in SLaC to "diverse" contingencies within the "big tent."
    Jeffrey's citation of Fr. Ruff's portrayal of the "liturgist vs. musician" axiom is particularly apt, and I'm heartened that he doesn't necessarily agree with Ruff's conclusion the twain shall ne'er meet. From Mike O'Connor to Savae (in San Antonio) to Juan Pedro Gaffney of San Francisco (and everyone in between) musicologists have proven a continuum between the first world's music and the new world's indigenous forms that were, in fact, syncretized. The Liturgy survived, and perhaps thrived.
    Couldn't the same contiuum be found evident in other missionary efforts on other continents during the age of exploration? In aborginal populations in Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas, diatonic (as well as modal) harmonic and melodic forms seem to be ingrained forms of religious choral singing/expression for many centuries.
    So, if we can be discriminate (in a positive sense) when discussing issues that pertain to liturgical forms and structures, versus those of musical forms which are by decree deigned to serve the Liturgy, then maybe some musicians' eyes and ears can be focused upon the discipline that the Church requires that chant and psalmody is, in fact, the font of every blessing.
  • kevinfkevinf
    It is an encouraging sign in the Archdiocese of Atlanta to have Jeffrey and Lee speak to the faithful. I had not planned to go as the past year's offerings have been okay but not that interesting to me. However, this should be interesting to say the least. I know the Office of Divine Worship is working hard to spread the aims of the CMAA knowing full well that many in the area are just holding on to their hats and getting through the weekends.

Lastly, the problem of inclusion of "gospel" styles, while fascinating in it "richer fare" to use Mr. Z's imagery, is its dependence on the cult of personality to convey the message and the individual response to the message. This seems to stand in polar discontinuity with the ecclesiology portrayed in the praxis of the Roman rite. Such that, as I witnessed it over many times, the distortion becomes a parody and the ritual event becomes lost to the rising level of emotionalism. Thus, it becomes an end unto itself and once again we spin our wheels about ourselves.

Sadly, I am sure that this music has been used as a hammer to demonstrate "inclusion" and "sensitivity". In my liturgical education, I never heard those words used but I hear them all the time in my community.

Kevin
  • GavinGavin
    Mia:
    "So Koreans should all go to Korean Catholic churches, and Germans go to German Catholic church and AA go to ... and promote their culture in our liturgy in this mixed country?"

It is my understanding (and many will no doubt reinforce this) that this WAS the case pre-vatican II and has been minimized in the wake of the council, for better or for worse. From what I've heard, an Irish-American Catholic did NOT go to an Italian church for Mass. Italians didn't go to the German church, and Germans didn't go to the Polish church. I've even seen bulletins from the old days listing "Polish Mass" - I'm guessing that meant the sermon and hymns were in Polish? This does continue today, with Mexican parishes and black parishes and even a few less-aggressively Euro-ethnic parishes. There's German parishes with German Masses, Polish parishes with Polish Masses in the area. Even at the High Mass I played at for Christmas, the choir sang Stille Nachte. And I even know of a few parishes where even today (for example) a non-Polish person will receive a VERY icy welcome.

I echo Mia's concerns. This strikes me as divisive. One thing that remains inspiring about the Roman Catholic Church is that, unlike the protestant denominations where Episcopalians are Anglos, Lutherans German (or Scandanavian), etc; the Catholic Church is composed of all sorts of races and social groups. On the other hand, isn't there SOME suitable sense of ethnic pride? Again, should Stille Nachte be banned at a church which stands as a historic spot for German immigration into this city? Should the Polish never sing Serdeczna Matko (only Polish hymn title I know) because of the few who don't know Polish? Should the Italian-American churches remove all their silly roccoco designs so as to appease Irish sensibilities? That strikes me as lunacy. Worship according to the Rite, yes, but don't be afraid to do so in the same way your ancestors did, so long as there is no exclusion of your brothers in Christ.

And your mention of Korean Catholics is quite interesting, as I have a friend who goes to a "Korean Catholic Church". She's relatively traditional, but is always complaining of the xenophobic and "this is the way KOREANS do Mass" attitudes there. So again, by all means celebrate your ethnicity within the bounds of a) faithfully and fully following the Rite, and b) avoiding the xenophobia of the immigrant churches of times past.
  • Mr. Z
    Kevin,

so true, regarding the dependence of this model on the 'cult of personality,' as you correctly label this, and this is why the "make or break" emphasis of Dr. Johnson on the role of the uninitiated "white priest" who typically is not up to speed on the cultural nuances, and that he must, to be effective, adapt a role and get in the"flow" (after all, he is responsible for the "flow of the liturgy," according to this treatise) and so he must be first of the mind to want to get on board with all of this, then must go on to something akin to a Fr. Pfleger "act" to bring down the spirit. (Well, I am perhaps overstating this a bit, but it does happen sometimes exactly like that).

This does, as well, lead to inviting of politicians of a particular persuasion to church for events like black history month, and many time honoring - in church now - pro abortion pols in the name of cultural relevance. Huh???? What has any of that to do with liturgy? And yet, this IS the reality when cultural identity is the overriding issue. This is the path that ultimately leads to frustration, for the Divine Liturgy is not, and never has been, by definition, a place a where every cultural group gets to get its "black" on or Filipino on or Italian on, at least to the extent that this becomes the all encompassing concern. Yes, there are neighborhood parishes that certainly reflect naturally the predominant culture, but there is also a Catholic culture, which should trump any ethnic expression. This does not appear to be, at least to me, the House that the Lord has built, and its lack of real and continued success is all the evidence I need. Other groups in the inner city don't do gospel, or contemporary black music, e.g., the Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses, not because they don't like it, it just does not fit their long established worship model. Catholics are not, seemingly, allowed that perogative, and I speak as someone who loves gospel.

In spite of Dr. Johnson's citing of incidences of church growth, overall, the Catholic church in the inner city is a dying institution, at least by the numbers, for the AA community. That makes some of this appear as a self serving argument, a sales pitch in a sense, that is just not borne out by the facts, though there are a few exceptions. There is no continuum of growth and gospel music, by itself, is not "bringing them in" the way it indeed may have at its first introduction to Catholic black churches. Some of the churches that instituted good gospel in the eighties resulting in packed churches, now you can shoot a canon off in them; same basic music, but the "novelty" has worn off and the lookeyloos have left. Though I am not quite willing to concede the idea that good music will necessarily bring people into to the church, I do believe bad music will drive people out. It has that effect on me. So does poorly grounded liturgy, no matter how "rockin" the choir might be.

So, in the end, the church goes back to being the church, and the new paradigm proposed by Johnson and others is left scratching its head as to why it cannot get any real traction, and the reason is that it is,in effect, trying to get a sows ear our of a silk purse. Back a-__ward. This kind of music, good as it is in its best presentation, is thirty plus years old in our churches, and it really has not gained the standing, maturity, support that it might had it had more solid undergirding.
  • miacoyne
    The Mass is from God to us through the Church. We don't own it nor control it with our pride, whether it's personal or ethnic. We are invited to participate to the Heavely banquet. The more we free from ourselves and focus on God, we will receive His grace more fully. The two goals of the Mass, Glorifying God and Sanctifying the faithful cannot be seperated. The more we mix elements of social agenda and other social activities in our litrugy, we will loose the sight of the His Kingdom of Heaven. The Mass is where we get to be in Heaven on earth. And this liturgy cannot be controlled by any individuals or any ethnic groups. Singing hymns of different ethnic groups here and there, and praying for social problems are different from having them control over the litugy. I'll sing my Korean hymns at home, or with others for the personal devotions, but when we go to Mass, does it matter which race I'm from? (I have more important things to worry about than about the race to enter the Kingdom.) We are all one race in this Heaven on earth.
    (Gavin, I'm very proud of my Korean cultrue, I share it with others as much as I can. And so do most of the Koreans, and it's not just about Mass. We have to remember that we came here to live in this country. And America is a country with a beautiful custom and tradition and we have to respect them. We also have to remember, "In Rome..")
  • I am continually impressed by the devotion of the Koreans in our parish. While they could become slackers attending a liturgy in which it could be difficult to understand, they arrive with their Korean missals and familiesand this in a parish where some parents have been known to drop their off for CCD, attend Mass and then pick up the kids at class and take them home, children having never darkened the door of the church.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks, Noel. Please just cover your ears if you hear anything negative about Koreans.
  • 우리는 우리 교회에서 너무 많은 아시아인 감히 아무도 말을 아는놈에 대해 나쁜 말을 해! 좋은 하루 되세요.
  • 그래, 그건 민사 및 지능형 언급했다.
    Yes, that was a civil and intelligent comment.
  • GavinGavin
    Babelfish translation: "Us daringly is too many Asia from our church about the fellow who anyone knows an end to talk bad! Be good one day."

"Yes, that civil affair and the intelligence style which hang referred."
  • kevinfkevinf
    Mr Z et al,

You have named the whirlwind, so to speak. The question is, does a Catholic culture trump ethnic identity? In my little part of the woods, it all depends on who you ask. For some, yes, for others, no. Sadly, it depends on where that person came from. I suppose it is how you see the intersection of prayer, ecclesiology and liturgy.

That is the 64,000 question I keep asking, given the age of "multi-culturalism" and the horizontalist notions of liturgical experience.
  • miacoyne
    I wish I know what those squares say.
  • JamJam
    Miacoyne,

it's Korean characters--do you have the right fonts installed on your computer? (can you read Korean on the net and type in Korean?) If you do, then you may need to adjust your browser settings to read them. If you don't, it's easy to install them. I could help you if you like.

As for the culture question and this thread:

I would say a balance must be struck. In the Orthodox Church and the Eastern Catholic Rites, the liturgies are in the local language (Russian, Greek, Coptic, et al.) and definitely have a cultural flair according to what church or rite it is. A Russian Church is Russian, with it's own hymn style and even icon style; a Greek church has very Byzantine music and Greek icons, etc. But they all use the same liturgy--St. John Crysostom's--and it is recognizably liturgy no matter what language or place it is. They still have incense and chant and ad orientem priests and what have you. They still have sanctity and reverence.

So, you can have an American Catholic worship style which would be in English and perhaps kinda high-church Anglican or something. They might have a particular way of making icons and crucifixes, maybe more anatomically correct or something, I dunno. They might use SATB hymnody along with their chant and have other little peculiar yet subtle things that differentiate American Catholicism from Italian Catholicism, say, or Polish or Spanish Catholicism. The goal is not to make everyone fit into a particular Roman mold and use only Latin and have everything the same. People are gonna bring their culture to their church because culture is what shapes people's worldview. The way they understand life and living is affected by their culture. American culture is really messed up, but the hope with the church is that in bringing the culture to the church, the church will sanctify the culture (rather than the culture poisoning the church). But the latter might be what has happened... I don't think a balance has been struck at all when it comes to American Catholicism: I think their was a wholesale sellout to protestantism, particularly the evangelical varieties, when it comes to liturgy (and architecture! egads!). But I also think that happened because Roman Catholicism was so inflexible, completely ossified in Trent, people kept pushing trying to bend things just a little, and eventually everything just shattered.
  • miacoyne
    Jam, I would love it, if you can help me. This would really help me understand emails from my family in Korea too.
    Either you can send me an email (it's in my profile) or you can post here. (myave some other people can benefit of installing different language programs. Or it's just me. I'm very behind in technology stuff.) Whatever is convenient for you.

A few month ago, I had a chance to attend a Byzantine Mass with our pirest and a group of people from my parish. Our priest goes there a few times a year, whenver he can. He really appreciates the "Divine Worhip." It was very beautiful,(although it was a bit hard to stand for entire 2 hours.) because it was very prayerful(no casual talks, none), reverent and focused on God. Also all the walls were surrounded with beautiful Icons, and the incense, candles, it was almost impossible to be distracted, but focuse on God. It didn't really matter I was trying to sing in Slavic or English. (it was back and forth, but flowed one to another quite well.) It was very holy.

Now, a few years ago, I attended a Korean Catholic church. Maybe it was just this one, but there were so much distraction. People were so gald to see friends, relatives who live in distance and come all the way once a week. It was too much like a social gathering. ( I used to go to Korean Protestant church at my first few years in America. And it was just the same.) I went there to meet poeple, Koreans) Maybe that's how one can start to find a faith. (that's how I got to learn Christianity.) But I cannot go there anymore. To me the more we detach ourselves from what we want and what we like, but glorify God, Him alone in the liturgy, the more we can be sanctified. If we try to glorify ourselves, individually, or as ethnic groups, with God's name, our sanctification cannot be fulfilled. I guess individual musicians have to follow their conscience with the knowledge of the Church's instrcution when they minister with their music and musicianship in the liturgy, since Vatican II gave us lots of options.
  • GavinGavin
    Regarding "ethnic" worship, why don't we apply the same principles to architecture? Let's sand-blast off those silly ornaments in Italian baroque churches. Tear the woodwork out of German churches. Paint over gaudy blues in Polish churches. Or apply it to music uniformly: stop all this German-sounding polyphony, favoritism towards Venetian composers, French harmonies (not to mention the German 6, French 6, and Italian 6!), etc. Make sure your organ stops all have Latin titles, and they all have bland non-descript sounds. In fact, what the heck are we doing with all this Gallic chant?? Throw out that garbage, we're going to be CATHOLIC, not French!!

This is the logical conclusion of what people are proposing - a Church which exists as a uniform culture with no variance. At no time in church history has this been in any way the goal! The only reason we have Latin in the liturgy is because the West wanted to adapt the Greek Mass for the Romans!! German Catholics can build churches like Germans, so why not let them sing like Germans too? Celebrating legitimate ethnic custom is a fine tradition, one our Eastern friends (like Jam) do very well. Using ethnic hymnody, favoring music by national composers, and to a SMALL extent incorporating the language don't diminish Catholicism at all.

(PLEASE NOTE: I'm so sad I have to write this, but I know someone is going to write something about how horrid it is to sing "Pan de Vida" at Mass or something. I'm NOT advocating, and in fact condemn, ANY of the following: fake ethnicism (putting Spanish words to pop music and calling it "Mexican music"), xenophobia, syncretism (the blending of Christian and non-Christian religious practices), putting any culture's pop music into the liturgy, dividing a parish into the "English Mass" and "Spanish Mass", ANY practice which is against the spirit or letter of liturgical norms, adjusting American culture for illegal immigrants, or anything that falls into any of the above categories. If you're going to write back about how terrible any of the above are and how wrong I am for espousing it, you're just wasting the Internet's time and agreeing with what I JUST SAID. My point is simple: when you walk into a church, you don't have to forget that you're Korean, Mexican, Irish, Polish, Czech, or American.)
  • miacoyne
    Gavin, as I said, you have a choice. The Church gave you lots of options. My reading on Church's documents on Gregorian Chants, having the first place in the liturgy, didn't apply to archtectures. If the Church says so, I'll follow it. If your ethnic and cultural bachground helps you, go ahead. But I also cannot understand the Catholics who advocate this muticulturalism don't even sing a single Gregorian Chant. Our schola just sang a communion Proper with other contemporary groups singing all other songs at a priest's ordination anniversary Mass. After the Mass, someone asked me whether we were singing a Korean Hymn. (I'm the only Korean in the schola, and our pronounciation is not that bad. In the 'worship aid' it says communion chant, didn't mention really what it was. It had the texts and translation, though. Nobody really knows what "proper' is here. Is it important to them? ) Do we really know the church's cultrure and tradition. That's what gets me frustrated. I wish we were as sensitive to the Church's language and the tradition as much as we are to different ethnic cultures. Most people heard of Spanish, Korean..., but not Latin in this Catholic church. I don't feel too confortible to sing chants with contemporary groups singing guitar music that is drenched with feelings, and all the humorous jokes , hand clappings during the liturgy. Maybe some people appreciate this kind of the liturgy. I truly felt that we were throwing pearl to a mud, and nobody recognizes the holiness. This kind of worship doens't lift me up to Heaven, it just stays there, on earthly level, feel good. But if our schola gives up, my parishioners will never hear Gregorian chants, nor a single word of Latin. Sorry to be tough on this. This is my personal decision and sharing my frustraion, because I and my schola are singing chants where Catholic tradition is completely ignored. That is my priority in singing at the Liturgy than thinking of my ethnic background.
  • JamJam
    Miacoyne, we don't actually disagree with you, as far as I know. At least, I don't.

The "multiculturalism" that is foisted upon us at Masses sometimes isn't really multiculturalism at all.

We should have Gregorian chant at Mass. We should have lots of it, and polyphony, even SATB hymns--anything that is reverent and beautiful and brings your mind to God and holiness. We're saying that church music doesn't have to fit into a purely Roman mold--only Latin, all the time, in a particular style no matter where you are... you can chant in English; chant isn't only for Latin. Although it's good to have Latin, also.

Basically, we're arguing both against Roman Catholic fundamentalists, who insist that the Latin-Rite Mass should only be EF in Latin with specific architecture and icons etc., and free-form Catholic liberals who think anything goes.

A balance CAN be struck. Culture can come to the church can be sanctified and become part of the church in that area. That would manifest in particular liturgical nuances (such as different vernacular languages), but NOT a radical departure from liturgy as we know it; it would manifest in a particular style of iconography, but NOT in "modern" or pop art styles; it would manifest in a particular kind of architecture, but NOT spaceship churches and other church buildings that don't resemble church buildings in the least. Just because you don't want spaceship churches doesn't mean everything has to be gothic cathedrals. Just because you don't want crooning guitar pop songs doesn't mean that some SATB hymnody isn't good in worship (think "Holy, holy, holy" and similar songs. Not chant, not polyphony, but still good).

The happy-clappy-guitar-love-song-joke-filled liturgies are NOT what Gavin and I advocate. That's not multiculturalism. That's profanity.
  • miacoyne
    I do understand that, Jam. This was started with one particular guest in this conference that Jeffrey posted. (read the article, http://www.nbccongress.org/features/african-american-sacred-music-01.asp)

Speaking of architectures. You know many Asian countries, like China, Japan and Korea, their long histories and cultures are deeply rooted in Budhism. Korea boast 5ooo years of history, and the Christianity spread after 20th c with Western cultures. It's very hard to imagine Korean tradtional architectures, which are mostly associated with Budhist temples, with Catholic liturgy.
  • GavinGavin
    I would agree with the idea of Latin as prime and other cultures and identities relegated to a lesser status. I'm simply advocating against a supposed abolition of all ethnic expression in liturgy. It is very sad that people can't even distinguish Latin from Korean, but that doesn't mean we need to hide every non-Roman expression.

As a model, I hold up the Christmas Midnight High Mass I played for. A historic German congregation had their Mass in the German-style church, the choir sang "Stille Nacht" before Mass, and I played Brahms for a prelude. Also, the whole of the propers was sung in chant, all texts during the Mass and the processional hymn were Latin. There was even Victoria's "O Magnum" (Spanish) and Franck's Mass in A Major (French). The organ was a historic 19th century American instrument and the sermon and closing hymn were in English. Note that this had Catholic identity in a German manner, and no right-minded American Catholic would have felt ill at easy by any of it.

"It's very hard to imagine Korean tradtional architectures, which are mostly associated with Budhist temples, with Catholic liturgy."
    I would definitely consider a Catholic church built in the style of a Buddhist temple to be syncretic, which I condemned above.
  • miacoyne
    "a Catholic church built in the style of a Buddhist temple "

What a revolutionary idea! But my aunt in Korea who is a Budhist might not like that.

Back to the topic. Jeffrey, I wish you the best at the conference. You might have a chance to have a good talk with your friend Mr. Haas.