Colloquium-inspired Tees
  • chonakchonak
    On another thread, someone suggested putting a graphic design I made on a T-shirt, so here's a web site where you can find apparel with neumes on it. Enjoy!
    imageimage

(This is my first time dealing with this printing company, by the way, but they do seem to have a good reputation on the net.)
  • gregpgregp
    chonak, just to be clear, it says that the shirts have the Colloquium design on the front, and the Gaudeamus design on the back. The Gaudeamus is what is pictured, right? And so what is the Colloquium design?
  • chonakchonak
    The Gaudeamus design has just "Gaudeamus"; the Colloquium design has "Gaudeamus omnes in Domino", with the date and place of the Colloquium. In the "web shop", there's usually a link for each shirt to display the back side, so you can see both designs. I'll add them above too.
  • gregpgregp
    Thanks.
  • miacoyne
    This is wonderful!!! I'm sending this link to my schola. I know they'll love this. Thanks, Chonak.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I am delighted to report that it appears women can acquire these classy designs in other styles than T-shirt. Tank tops and camisoles are available as well.

I look like a dork in a T-shirt. I always have, even when I wore ones with endangered species or revolutionary leaders.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Revolutionary leaders? Sounds great to me.
  • JDE
    I would love a T-shirt with a revolutionary leader like Guido of Arezzo.
  • G
    A parody of that over-used Che icon featuring Guido, of Pope St Gregory?

Tha's what I'm chantin' about...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    MJBallou, I'll order a tank if you will.

A word of caution: If these are anything like the offerings of cafepress (and I assume they are), they are sized *small.* I am by no means large but have to buy at least a large in these to avoid a skintight fit.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Can someone make a Guido D'Arezzo shirt? surely someone can? It could say something like Hinge of History or something really obscure. that would be so great and geeky in a good sort of way.
  • miacoyne
    I've got a t-shirt and a thick sweatshirt. I'm all set for the colloquium trip. (although I end up spending more money on the shirts than on the cab from the airtport, that's how it got all started, I'm very happy.) We might notice more chanters at the airport this year.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Where can I find a good image of Guido? I could turn one out this afternoon on cafepress.com or zazzle.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    that is, there are lots of tiny images online . . . but I'd need something bigger. Am doing google image searches now.
  • chonakchonak
    I wouldn't dare wear a T-shirt of the "hand" diagram: people would think it represented some occult art.
    imageimage

For marymezzo: if it helps any in figuring out the sizing, the shirts are Gildan Ultra-Cotton tees.

Here's a pretty cool image of Guido, but it's too small to enlarge and print well:
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    thanks! shoot, I love the Guidonian hand. Where's your sense of adventure?

:)

And thanks for the info on sizing.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    I'm going to try my hand at creating a T later this afternoon, probably on cafepress. I have 14 images (including these lovely hands) and will eyeball them to see which ones meet the quality requirements.

If I come up with anything decent, I'll send a link. And I'll set the prices at cost.
  • miacoyne
    Marymezzo, maybe it's just me, but are you sure about this hand thingy? Do you think people might think chanters are weirdo cult group? (It somehow reminds me of those palm readers or something, sorry) You know when you wear the shirts, they are in public display. Just a friendly caution.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, if anyone does want to wear it, I did add it to the shop.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Miacoyne--

I understand your caution . . . but on the other hand, given that the Guidonian hand is in fact completely innocent, I am not particularly worried about what people might read into it or project onto it. Think of it as a conversation piece. If someone says "what does that mean?" we can explain that it's a medieval teaching tool for learning music.
  • miacoyne
    Yeah...I know. I might get used to it. Any way this is fun. Seeing chant related shirts and shopping .. I hope Chonak is having fun doing this. (Could you maybe bring some shirts to Colloquium and sell them there?)
  • chonakchonak
    That is a sweet image, Jeffrey.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be nearly as attractive if it were changed to a simple black-on-white image.

Somebody with some actual skill in photo manipulation could probably do a better job than mine, though.
  • miacoyne
    How about the entire hymn to St. John the Baptist with the first syllable of each line underlined on the front of the shirt and the image above on the back of the shirt?

"That the servants of God with clear voices may sing the wonders of thy life, obtain forgiveness for unworthy lips, O holy John." A beautiful prayer for chanters to remember always.
  • chonakchonak
    I'll save that idea for next year!
  • miacoyne
    Great! I'm pre-ordering it now for next year. ;-)
    (thanks, I think I've got enough chant shirts for now.)
  • chonakchonak
    LOL: someone else is offering chant-themed T-shirts at the same company. The tune may be familiar to some of you. :-)
  • AOZ
    There is so much excitement here!! Its really infectious. O'hare and Midway aren't going to know what the heck has hit town on the 22nd of June. I, personally, am a bit shy of the big hand tee, but that's just because I spend half of time driving back and forth on country roads in rural Alabama these days. I know these people, these palm readers. I love them. Good folks, for the most part. But, God love 'em, I ain't one of 'em... Moving right along....

(nor do I want to be seen as a snake charmer, or confused with someone who might sport oddly positioned body piercings or tattoos...) but anyway...

Someone above suggested selling some of these at the Colloquium. One of the things the CMAA is VERY CAREFUL about is not turning the Colloquium into a trade show. Like other conventions that will be taking place in Chicago in future weeks. In other words, no outside vendors. Just our policy.

Now, I am not saying that a few of our members selling shirts for a good cause are "outside vendors" per se. But it is a slippery slope. And I would rather not go there at all. We need to stay focused on what we do. Instruct and teach and sell only our own educational materials.

Subtext: If you wanna sell the shirts privately out of your car or you your room, go for it!
  • chonakchonak
    I'm all for the policy, Arlene; just personally, I wouldn't want to take time away from everything else in the Colloquium to man a table anyway, let alone think about paying local sales or income tax.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks, Arlene. I didn't know the CMAA policy on this. Good to know. (at the local chant workshop there were private vendors. I guess it's different from Colloquium.)
  • AOZ
    And to be clear, I'm not trying to steer anyone clear of making a contribution to the cause, either.

If someone (I think this conversation has been going on in various levels of depth in two separate threads) wants to make a contribution to the cause through selling great products like those that have been mentioned, that is great! Hurrah to all active CMAA members. The best way to handle this for now is privately - even from your home or wherever, and then make a donation to the CMAA with what you can spare from your take. If in fact your costs end up being covered.

You can even earmark your donation if you wish - toward Colloquium scholarships for next year, publications, general funds, whatever. Anyway, things to think about for future.
  • mjballoumjballou
    The Gaudeamus/Colloquium tank top will be perfect for my Zumba class. The Guidonian hand always confuses me.

And I like Arlene's idea of doing whatever - and then making a donation to CMAA. Not only products, but maybe a few bucks from the "love offering" at your choir/schola's next concert - especially if you and yours have benefitted from the fantastic resources CMAA makes available. (And yes, I'm really talking to myself here.)
  • mjballoumjballou
    I wish to report that my stunning pink Colloquium/Gaudeamus tank top arrived today. I plan to wear it, of course, at the colloquium (with a suitable overshirt) and will then use it as a means of musical evangelization in my Florida life.

I'm thinking of having chonak design ALL my clothes.
  • chonakchonak
    My green tee arrived too, and I'm pleased as well. As it happens, the company that prints them is running a sale for the next week, and the coupon codes are on-line. I also reduced the commissions and therefore the prices on everything, too, just to play along!
  • miacoyne
    Thanks. I wore my grey chant shirt at a Home schooling conference today. (it's the biggest one in this area, once a year.) People liked the shirt, and I was glad that my schola family was attracted by the shirt from the back. (there were lots of book vendors, and I was happy to see PBC and 'Sing Like a Catholic' on display.