I am looking for a lenten choral piece
  • alrtree
    I have been asked to come up with something along the lines of O Magnum Mysterium (Tomas Lui de Victoria), but for the Lenten season. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • francis
    if nothing turns up, send text you are proposing to my email address and i will try my hand at composing a setting in similar style. francis (at) myopus (dot) com.
  • alrtree
    What would you charge to do something like that?
  • Try O vos omnes by Victoria!
  • francis
    Hi alrtree:

How would you like it to be scored? SATB? And what would be the text. O vos omnes as MO suggests?
  • francis
    I should mention that I have another piece on this board that I just set for Lent. It could easily be arranged for a cappella. It is under the title, "New Music for Lent"
  • Jscola30
    I did a setting of Psalm 130 by Paul Manz in college, which was very nice. I'm trying to think about other ones we did...Adoremus Te by Dubois on Palm Sunday, but I think you could use that during Lent in general, or perhaps Jesu Dulcis Memoria and Domine Non Sum Dignus by Victoria, ...I'm having some severe memory lapse. If I remember I'll follow up post.
  • francis
    I composed the first half of O Vos Omnes last night. Here is a preview. If you are interested in it let me know and I could possibly finish it out this week.

Sibelius Simulation:

www.bizextend.com/soundFiles/oVosOmnes.mp3

score attached
  • Chris
    Beautifully done. Congrats, Francis!
  • francis
    Thank you, Chris.
  • I liked it a lot! Can't wait to see the rest :)
  • francis
    OK... I was listening to Bach's B Minor Mass today and one movement (Crucifixus) in particular was quite mesmorizing. So I decided to compose a different setting of the O Vos Omnes similar in style. This is far from finished, just a preview.

http://www.bizextend.com/soundFiles/ovosomnes4.mp3
  • Jscola30
    Whoa that reminds me, if you got the voices, Crucifixus by Lotti...
  • francis
    Hi Janet:

Thanks for the encouragement. I am hoping to finish this piece before lent begins.
  • More of Good Friday piece, don't you think? BTW Victoria for the Remonstrances!
  • don roy
    dont forget the adoramus te of gonoud. not difficult and really very very nice
  • Thank you, everyone! I am new to this; after posting the other day, I didn't have a chance to come back until tonight, and was amazed at all the responses. Unfortunately, our parish does not have the voices yet. But this definitely gives me something to work towards. I am in RCIA, and wanting very much to be a part of a renewal of the sacred music tradition here. When I spoke with the choir director last week, and my son and I sang a bit of O Magnum Mysterium for her (as much as can be done, with only two voices and no music!), she asked us to come up with something along those lines, only for lent. Thank you all for your help.
  • The parish we are in has been using OCP for a number of years.