Christmas Proclamation
  • GerardH
    All this talk of Christmas and Epiphany proclamations has got me thinking that perhaps I should make use of them! When can one use it (in the OF)? Must it only be before Midnight Mass, or could it be before the Vigil Mass instead (when there is no midnight Mass)? It seems fairly clear it wouldn't be used at any of the morning Masses
  • Speaking for the OF, the Christmas Proclamation is reserved for the beginning of Midnight Mass, or more properly named, the “Mass During the Night.” I’m not sure if it could be used at a Vigil Mass or Christmas Day Mass should a parish not have a Midnight Mass/Mass During the Night.

The Epiphany Proclamation, to my knowledge, can be used at any Masses on the Epiphany after the proclamation of the Gospel.
  • Speaking for the OF, the Christmas Proclamation is reserved for the beginning of Midnight Mass

Actually it is normally part of the reading of the Martyrology for the day even in the OF. That used to be after Prime, but since that has been abolished in the OF the Martyrology is proclaimed on the 24th, either after Lauds or one of the minor hours, or on its own. Our abbey chants the Christmas proclamation after Lauds on the 24th.

Ora
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    USCCB has this. It mentions before 'Midnight' Mass specifically, but also the Liturgy of the Hours without specifying an hour, and if the Vigil Mass occurs after the time of Vespers, in the OF, that may allow the proclamation being made before the Vigil Mass. If you have carol singing before Mass, I see no reason for excluding the proclamation. Round here sunset will be 3:53 - Evening Prayer is 'supposed' to end before sunset, I think - YMMV.
  • Ora,

That’s good to know. I don’t know much about the Liturgy of the Hours, so this is interesting.