New Chairman-elect of USCCB Liturgy Committee
  • SalieriSalieri
    Bishop Steven J. Lopes, Ordinary of the Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter, has been elected as the next chairman for the USCCB Liturgy Committee.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Not just a liturgist, but one closely involved in a reformed version of the NO. Option for prayers at the foot of the altar, option for restoration of the Offertory, replacement and relocation of the Penitential Rite, AND dignified English! Expect great wailing and gnashing of teeth in "progressive" circles.
  • I just spit out the thing I was drinking when I read this...
  • CharlesW
    I love liberal wailing, gnashing of teeth, garment rending and angst out the wazoo. This should be interesting.
  • Vote of 121-120
  • Chrism
    Vote of 121-120

How discouraging, especially considering that his opponent banned Extreme Unction for the dying during the pandemic. One assumes that most of the 121 are older appointments, and the 120 younger: we should enjoy the current USCCB's leadership while it lasts.

With that said, I'm happy to see Bishop Lopes get the nod.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw BruceL
  • SalieriSalieri
    I am from "the other guy's" former diocese: There was dancing in the streets, even among the liberals, at his departure.
  • stulte
    I'm certain His Excellency will do a fine job in this position. I'll keep him in my prayers.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Is his surname "Lo pez" or "Lohps"?
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • Look at the rest of the election results. I don't know Bishop Lopes, but if he's a good guy, he's likely to be lonely in that company.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • stulte
    Is his surname "Lo pez" or "Lohps"?

The latter pronunciation is correct.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • Liam
    It's a Portuguese surname but Portuguese surnames in the USA that resemble Spanish surnames tend to be pronounced to avoid confusion with the Spanish. Another notable example would be the late Rev. Peter Gomes, the longtime notable Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Pusey Minister of Harvard's Memorial Chapel, whose paternal ancestry was Lusophone (Cabo Verde), a commonly found ancestry in the fishing ports of southeastern New England. [Lopes vs Lopez; Gomes vs Gomez]
  • dad29
    liberal wailing, gnashing of teeth, garment rending and angst out the wazoo

Don't forget 'driving them before you, and lamentations of their women.'
    Thanked by 3tomjaw CharlesW Chaswjd
  • CharlesW

Don't forget 'driving them before you, and lamentations of their women.'

I could actually go for the throwing them off the cliff thing from the OT.
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • liberal wailing, gnashing of teeth, garment rending and angst out the wazoo

Already happening
    Thanked by 2CharlesW tomjaw