Justorum Animae
  • Wondering if anyone on this forum ever uses Byrd’s “Justorum Animae”? If so, for what occasion?

I was thinking would seem to be a consoling piece for burial Masses, but then again, Josquin’s “O Jesu Christe” seems more like the Catholic attitude.,, would like to hear from you. Thanks
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's nominally the Offertory for All Saints, and it is simply sublime.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here's a recording from a Sacred Music of Tudor England concert on 24 Nov 2002, by Zephyrus (yes, I'm singing in it).
  • Madame,

Charles is right. Using it for All Souls' or for a funeral is rather more like canonizing someone than makes sense to me. I haven't programmed it, but I have sung it as a member of a choir, and Charles is right on that score, too: simply sublime.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Byrd's Justorum Animae Is used often at funerals at Walsingham, as also on All Saints'. Stanford also wrote one, but I believe at the moment that it is for five voices.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • For seven, and it is undoubtedly one of his finest works.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Byrd is for 5 voices.

Stanford's Op. 38 contains three works, none of them for seven voices:

Justorum animae (SATB unaccompanied)
    Coelos ascendit hodie (SATB double choir unaccompanied)
    Beati quorum via (SSATBB unaccompanied)
  • The Stanford is written on four staves but divides into as many as seven voices at time, hence my comment.
  • SalieriSalieri
    A beautiful, and very liturgical, setting of this Offertory is by Antonio Salieri, for four voices, strings, and continuo; the string parts can easily be adapted to organ.

https://youtu.be/wAJnikAWLQM
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • SalieriSalieri
    Back to funerals: I shudder every time I hear this passage used as the First Reading at a Funeral (it is one of the options in the Lectionary for O.F. funerals, alas), especially if the deceased wasn't a practicing Catholic. Yes, it's one of the "white vestment" texts of the modern Canonization-Funeral, but it's proper place is All Saints and the Common of Martyrs, which is where it was until 1969: the post-concilliar reformers knew this, of course, and their decision to include it among the funeral texts was a major mistake. (In my not-so-humble opinion.)
  • Right, I don’t need convincing; All Saints will be fine.

Still looking for something as beautiful as that for a funeral though
    Thx
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Not sure if you're interested in EF or OF funerals, but as a "consoling piece" for burial Masses, I think that John Donne's prayer "Bring us, O Lord God at our last awakening" in my setting might well be very appropriate in this situation (I've already had it suggested / requested for such use). It is discussed at length, with excerpts from Donne's original sermon on which the prayer is based, in this thread, together with score(s) and YouTube simulated performance.
  • If text in English is appropriate, Nolo Mortem Peccatoris is consoling for funerals.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress