The Responsorial Psalm Challenge
  • Inspired by my class this summer with David Cherwien, who pointed out what an excellent, regularly-recurring compositional exercise the propers of the liturgy offer, I've been writing the Responsorial Psalm for High School and now Grade School Masses each week, something I like to call The Responsorial Psalm Challenge.

I've attached some samples, including the Responsorial Psalm for the Feast of St. Luke this coming Monday, should it be of use to anyone. Pay no mind to the pointed Gospel Acclamation verses at the bottom of the page -- my singers know what to do with them, and that's all that matters.

I must admit to liking the flatted 6th a little too much, but my students love the harmonic colors as well and sing them with spirit. For that insight into my singers, I'm indebted to some of the settings of Brian Michael Page that we used last year.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I must admit to liking the flatted 6th a little too much,

lol. You have a harmonic language that is consistent throughout your opus; nothing wrong with that!
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • To be honest, September's were a little more modal... but I'm having a hard time tracking the PDFs down.
  • You have a harmonic language that is consistent throughout your opus; nothing wrong with that!

On second thought, so did Schoenberg and Webern by the end... but I like yours a lot better!
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis