Resumé tips?
  • Hi folks. I'm reaching the end of my education and I am now in a spot where I'm looking to apply for jobs. And so I'm drawing up my resumé! Do you have any tips? Any specific formats, any details one should include? Any specific way of doing things in the Sacred Music world? Feel free to share your own! I figured it would be good to ask an entire community of people who've done this before! I do already have a draft, which for privacy's sake I will not be sharing :)

For context, I'm open to a variety of positions, like parish music/choir director, teaching, diocesan worship office, etc. etc, full time or part time.

Thanks!
  • Design your resume to speak to the kind of person you want to hire you.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CharlesW
    I have never written a resume for any job I held in music. Networking is key. Having a respected musician recommend you can be key to getting a job.
  • As for layout and format, go for a clean, direct, and simple look and use a classic typeface like Palatino or Garamond (as opposed to a computer-y one like Verdana or Comic Sans). Don't add boxes, lines, or clip art. Just make it easy for someone picking up your resume to scan through it for what they'd like to know and make it easy for them to find it. Section headings can have a different (still classic) font and be bolder for easy scanning. Have someone else read it and make suggestions (and correct errors).
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I just helped with hiring for a Cathedral position and received a ton of resumes. The amount that were poorly designed or had spelling or grammatical errors was amazing. If finances allow, hiring someone to do the design for you would be beneficial.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • kevinfkevinf
    I assist musicians with resumes and I can tell you the number one problem: spelling and grammar. Get your writing act together or get someone to help you. Poor spelling will stop me in my tracks. I don't care how good a musician you are. If you cannot write, spell and use your language well you will not receive any notice.
  • Extension of Kevin's thought (or Matthew's), based on what I said:

If you want to be hired by someone who doesn't care about grammar and spelling because you're applying for a position in which you wish to convey sub-standard grasp of English, reliance on technological auto-correct, or to be hired by someone who doesn't want you to care about doing your job properly..... send in a resume which has these characteristics.
  • GerardH
    I'm open to a variety of positions, like parish music/choir director, teaching, diocesan worship office, etc. etc, full time or part time.

My advice is not to have a one-size-fits-all resumé. Tailor it specifically to each job you apply for to highlight relevant skills and experience. If you're cold calling, tailor it as best you can to the organisation.