Last Gospel and the Novus Ordo
  • Schönbergian
    What reasoning was given for the suppression of the Last Gospel in the Novus Ordo? I'm not interested in pithy or snarky comments about Vatican II or the NO, just a straightforward answer.
  • chonakchonak
    One rationale I have heard for it is that the reading of the last Gospel was originally a devotional act which the priest was to make in the sacristy after Mass.
  • Shoenbergian,

It came under "accretions" which had clumped onto the Mass with little advantage.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Andrew_Malton
    But actual discussion with evidence and argument are not easy to find.

It was actually eliminated by Inter Oecumenici 1964.

de Lubac mentions it once in his Notes, so that it would have been proposed to be eliminated explicitly by one Cardinal addressing the Council. But without record of le Cardinal’s reasons.

It was partially removed (from Holy Week) in 1955 missal, but without record of reasons.

It was discussed and its elimination proposed at the Maria-Laach conference (late Liturgical movement) in 1951.

It is mentioned in Jungmann (1950) that "moralists today" (quoting 1930) accept that it is not an integral part of the Mass (unlike the Prayers at the Foot): as Chonak said above.

I looked in English and Irish newspapers of the period, say 1950-1965, for a sense of how the change was "received" -- and find it mentioned quite often in articles about "changes". But rarely with comment, and when with comment, generally in the course of positive comments about participation of the people in the "new" holy week.

Could it be said that it was not missed much? Could it be that saying it inaudibly, which was the normal practice (I believe) meant that all the lament about its loss is rather after-the-fact?

I've heard (this is probably ahistorical) that reading it facing North originally had something to do with proclaiming the Gospel in the direction of paganism. Well, then it should be out loud, or how are the Vikings to hear it over all their clamour? Or (as my son suggested) the priest should nowadays slowly turn through a full circle while reciting it...)
  • Liam
    In the Southern Hemisphere, was it read facing South (the direction of darkness in that hemisphere)?
  • SalieriSalieri
    The last Gospel was originally said sotto voce by the priest as he processed to the sacristy after Mass; the Tridentine reforms moved it to the altar for the sake of convenience, but it was still considered part of the priest's private thanksgiving, and therefore outside of the Mass and to be recited sotto voce; reciting the Last Gospel aloud at Low Mass is, I think, part of the Johannine rubrical reform of 1962, but I could be wrong, though I do remember reading about that somewhere.

While I think that it's loss as a prescribed devotion is lamentable; the Mass didn't technically lose anything by its suppression, since it was never part of the Mass to begin with. I do, however, think that priests should resume it as part of their own thanksgiving, since most priests I know go right from the sacristy to the parking lot, making less of a thanksgiving than most of the people. But that is by the way.
  • a_f_hawkins
    https://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2013/10/the-last-gospel-in-domnican-rite.html#disqus_thread
    It is not generally well know that the Dominican Rite did not adopt the use of the "Last Gospel" (John 1: 1-14) as a priestly thanksgiving at the altar after Mass until the 1600s, well after its adoption in the Roman liturgy.
    For example, at Low Mass, Dominican rubrics, as in the 1933 Dominican Missal, specified that the server was to extinguish the candles immediately after the blessing, that is, during the reading of the Last Gospel
    DW:TM Rubrical Directory §42 -
    Where it is the custom, the Last Gospel may follow as a concluding devotion, and is recited immediately after the dismissal.
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • francis
    the priest should nowadays slowly turn through a full circle while reciting it...)

I love this novel idea! Or maybe we should all just face the Vatican.
  • CatherineS
    In some places I've noticed that the Last Gospel is recited by the priest, but meanwhile the organ plays and people begin their personal thanksgivings or get up to leave. In other places, the people remain attentive to the Last Gospel, either hearing it prayed out loud by the priest (microphoned) or following along in their Missals if he is not using a microphone.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I too am curious about the practice/custom of music during the Last Gospel. In Psallite Sapienter: A Musician’s Practical Guide to the 1962 Roman Missal

79 There is no requirement for music of any kind after Mass. However,
    it is a venerable custom to play a concluding organ voluntary
    (except, obviously, when instrumental music is prohibited); this custom
    should be fostered wherever the instrument and the organist are
    adequate to the task. It is also possible to sing a suitable chant or hymn,
    even in the vernacular, at this point.

80 If the Last Gospel be read aloud, the music should not be commenced
    until after the Gospel and its response Deo gratias have
    been said; if the Last Gospel be read silently, the music may begin after
    the genuflection. Note that the Last Gospel is omitted on several occasions:
    a. Whenever the dismissal is Benedicamus Domino, or in
    Masses for the Dead followed by Absolution. In these
    cases, there is no opportunity for music to be added,
    since an official rite follows immediately.
    b. On Christmas Day (third Mass) and Palm Sunday (at
    the principal Mass), and at the Easter Vigil. Here the
    additional music may be commenced after the celebrant
    has given the final blessing.

However, this hasn't been my experience. I've heard loud organ instrumental begin immediately after the Ite Missa Est; soft organ music played during the reading of the entire last Gospel and even the Singing of Salve Regina during the reading of the Last Gospel.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw ServiamScores
  • The rubrics of the 1962 Missal direct the celebrant to read the Last Gospel aloud at Low Mass and quietly at Solemn or Sung Mass. The quotation from Psallite Sapienter concerns High Mass; "If the Last Gospel be read aloud..." actually describes an unrubrical practice. Silence, organ music (when not forbidden), or singing in Latin are equally permissible. Whether it's lawful to begin a vernacular hymn during the Last Gospel is disputed. Without serious reason, nobody should leave the church until the priest has left the altar.
  • ServiamScores
    The last few solemn TLM's I've played, the priest asked me to begin the voluntary immediately after the ite missa est and play over the last gospel. I thought it seemed odd at the time (having not previously experienced this) but now I know why. He's a rather studied liturgist, regular celebrant of the TLM (well... was, at any rate) and is the MC for our bishop.
  • Serviam,

I accompany the Last Gospel, but it's accompaniment without words. At the end of the Last Gospel, usually, we sing the Marian Antiphon.

Now, it sometimes has happened in the past that Passiontide and Triduum celebrations in a shared building (OF and EF) necessitate the singing of the Marian Antiphon during the Last Gospel, but that is exceptional, and should be.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • For the record, each and every priest can recite the Last Gospel on his way to the Sacristy after Mass, as per many Medieval Uses. Since this is a private devotion, there is no need for any permission of any kind.
  • quilisma
    In our chapel, we have taken up an ancient tradition of reading the Gospel of the displaced feast instead of John's prologue, if there is one.
    Nevertheless, we still sing the Marian antiphon during it, if it's a sung mass.
    BTW, we are Tridentine.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    For completeness, https://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2021/08/the-prayers-at-foot-of-altar-and-last.html#.YSPLCS1Q27Y

I have been meaning to look through my books but have not had the time.
  • This is not NO, but the last gospel is read aloud after the blessing in the Ordinariate Use from Christmas through Presentation. I cannot speak of its recitation elsewhere but find Andrew Malton's comments quite interesting.
  • JahazaJahaza
    While I think that it's loss as a prescribed devotion is lamentable; the Mass didn't technically lose anything by its suppression, since it was never part of the Mass to begin with.

It didn't start out as part of the Mass, but by the 20th century it had definitely become part of it. Once proper last Gospels were dropped though (1955?), it ceased to have the integration with the liturgy that it had developed as a place for commemoration of displaced days. At that point, it was probably inevitable that it would be dropped entirely in any further reform and that's what happened.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Andrew_Malton
  • Interesting Jahaza -

So, since that mass is over there is not anything wrong with reciting the last gospel after the blessing has been given. It is is certainly as fitting as the added on organ voluntary.
    I may be wrong, but I can't imagine anything in print that would forbid it.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    There isn't. The Novus Ordo ends with "Ite missa est." or one of the other options. Anything that happens after this, be it a hymn, Marian Antiphon, voluntary, Last Gospel, clog dancing, etc., is outside of the Mass.
  • Back in my novus ordo days, I asked my priest about adding the St. Michael prayer after Mass. He had no interest in adding it and said it was incorrect for the celebrant, still vested for Mass, to lead any other prayer after Mass. He said it was ok for the congregation to recite other prayers in common themselves, but not for the priest to lead them. He cited some official directive (perhaps from the USCCB?) to support his position, but I don't have a reference. GIRM 169 seems to imply that the celebrant and ministers exit immediately after he venerates the altar, but it's common enough to wait around through at least one stanza of a hymn before leaving. As others have said, the priest is free to read or recite the Last Gospel on his way back to the sacristy, but doing so at the altar would be unrubrical in the novus ordo.

I mention the following because it would be obvious to many in the congregation but completely overlooked by many musicians: Even though Mass is technically ended, anything the celebrant stays in the church for, be it hymn, antiphon, devotions, or what have you, has the effect of lengthening "the Mass." If he leaves during an organ voluntary right after Deo gratias, no time is added for the congregation.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    > Anything that happens after this, be it a hymn, Marian Antiphon, voluntary, Last Gospel, clog dancing, etc., is outside of the Mass.

Send in the Clowns....
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • tomjaw
    Send in the Clowns....

In some places this is when the clowns are heading off stage, and the audience is rushing for the car park. end purple text
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen