Exspectans Exspectavi • New/Old Edition
  • ServiamScores
    Greetings all,
    I was looking ahead at our propers for this weekend (ordinary form) and decided to do some digging into Exspectans exspectavi (jury seems to be out on the 's' ; I've seen it both ways). Rather than sing the Fr. Weber version, (option 1 felt a bit cumbersome, option 2 was boring) I went to the source and found a version that dates to approx. 1300 in the Antiphonarium pro Ecclesia Einsidlensi. (see here: http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/sbe/0611/44r).

I decided to transcribe the original into modern notation for my schola, as well as set the english text to this particular ancient melody; we will have a cantor intone the latin, and the choir respond with the english. Note that this melody differs from the traditional melody found on gregobase—I believe that it is due to the fact that the manuscript I referenced seems to be a collection of chants for the divine office. I'm not positive on that though. Regardless, the end result is rather pleasing and I believe perfectly licit for liturgical use.

I'm attaching the score in case it helps anyone else. Here also is a video to send to your choir if needed: EDIT: updated link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmKxOIcV-PI

*For updated score, see later post from 8/18/21.*
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Serviam,

Thank you for undertaking this work.

For your consideration, is there a way to improve:
    1) that "of" has 3 notes?
    2) that "respexit me" works awkwardly in the English?
  • ServiamScores
    Chris, regarding #1, I was trying to follow the original neume groupings as closely as possible, hence the setting. TBH, I don't find it very uncomfortable, at least not when you have the latin version in mind and are comparing the two. As for #2, technically "re-gard" should have three notes, rather than two, but it seemed to me that in english it flowed better as I set it. I'm not sure how it could be improved. (I'm open to suggestions though.)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I wonder if Chris didn't mean the heiratic construction of "had regard to me" rather than a musical complaint? It's easily taken in stride after the Plainchant Gradual, which has "he inclined to me, yea, he hearkened unto the voice of my calling" to the usual tune.
  • ServiamScores
    This translation is not my own; I was simply using what had been provided to me as the model, although I confess I wasn't thrilled with it. I'll have to check a few other sources.
  • CGM
    Gregorian Missal (Solesmes):
    "With expectation I have waited for the Lord, and he has cast his look upon me; he has heard my supplication and he has put a new canticle into my mouth, a song to our God."

Lectionary (USCCB):
    "I have waited, waited for the Lord, and he stooped toward me and heard my cry. And he put a new song into my mouth, a hymn to our God."

Lumen Christi Missal (Bartlett):
    "I have waited, waited for the Lord, and he looked down upon me. He heard my prayer, and he put a new song into my mouth, a hymn to our God."

Simple Choral Gradual (Rice):
    "I waited, I waited for the Lord and he stooped down to me; he heard my cry. He put a new song into my mouth, praise of our God."

• Your transcription is solid. In case you're unaware of it, this is an excellent site for comparing the oldest manuscripts:
    http://www.omnigreg.at/wiki/doku.php?id=ant:7690

Although that edition differs, ex-spe-ctans ex-spe-cta-vi is the more typical hyphenation for chant. I would capitalize Dominum as well. The second note of -nem is a quilisma in the oldest sources, and its last three notes (torculus) are short—or at least the first two, depending on interpretation. The third through last notes of me- are long, with another quilisma before the last two. Here is my attempt at an edition based on the melodic reading of the codex you reproduced with rhythmic markings from Hartker.
    1202 x 886 - 205K
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ServiamScores
    Thanks for the alternate translations, all. I was using the Fr. Weber, if anyone is curious. I don’t remember his source for the translations. I’ll have to look tomorrow.

Madorganist, thanks for the tips on the hyphenation. I’ll revise it.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • a_f_hawkins
    Ordinariate Missal
    I waited patiently for the Lord, and he inclined unto me: he heard my calling and hath put a new song in my mouth, even a thanksgiving unto our God.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Serviam,

As a young buck I was spoiled by sung sacred English. Then I became Catholic, and discovered banality had claimed the high ground. Then I began attending the TLM, and I don't have to worry about sacral (or banal) English anymore.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • ServiamScores
    I would GLADLY “defect” to the tlm full time given the chance, but I’m a full-time N.O. organist/choirmaster, so I have to make due. I attend the tlm whenever I have the chance, but due to the nature of my job (and now this stupid motu proprio…) that is only once every few months or so.

A group of priests, led by my pastor, was hosting quarterly solemn tlms, and we would rotate between three churches in this area. We would learn special rep, full propers, the whole bit. We’ve hosted three times in the last two years. It was WONDERFUL and proved excellent for my choir every time. They are growing in their sense of tradition and because of what we’ve gone through for those masses, they are starting to really “get it” and understand much more deeply why I’ve been steering them the way I have the last two years. Sadly, it appears this beautiful shared tlm culture has just dissolved into thin air… our bishop hasn’t granted any permissions yet, and it’s quite possible he will refrain from doing so.
  • ServiamScores
    Here's an updated version that essentially uses the USCCB translation, with a very slight alteration to keep the final phrase as I had it previously set (the words match the number of notes better). I will re-record the YT video after morning mass is over and once my office is quiet.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ServiamScores
    And here's the updated YT vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmKxOIcV-PI
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen